• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fixing 240 seat "Gangsta Lean"

I don't know if it's just me but 850 seats start to hurt my back within 20 minutes of getting in the car. The deteriorating seat in my 240 is much better regardless of lumbar settings in my Moms 850. Haven't experienced this gangsta lean though.

I don't know if it's just me but 850 seats start to hurt my back within 20 minutes of getting in the car. The deteriorating seat in my 240 is much better regardless of lumbar settings in my Moms 850. Haven't experienced this gangsta lean though.

my three ALL TIME favourite "seats":
1) the "Mick Model" custom seat module I used in several racerboy cars
2) my Citro?n DS 21 Pallas seat- butter soft leather and SUPER SUPPORT
3) *any* of my "rebuilt to Mick spec" 24x seats super support Kevlar bonded to the
foam w/a bunch of "criss-cross" wires added to the bottom seat grid and a "frame
welded in support tube set" on the back of the seat that is "gusseted" w/bicycle
brake - derailleur cable and also on the "lumbar support....extra "support" for the
seat back foam accomplished w/the same type webbing you repair patio
furniture with...tough / strong / supple / breatheable / *nice damned seats*..YMMV

:oogle:

It's you:-P
850 seats are much more supportive than 2/7/9 seats not including S/V90, drive trough bunch of corners, curves in 240 seat and then in 850...lateral support is much much better with 850 seats, and they are built way stronger than 2/7/9 seats....

850 seats might be a good thing to remember. Mine doesn't have lean, but the PO or POs left it outside in the sun all the time and the vinyl upholstry is absolutely destroyed. 850 seats might be cheaper than having new covers sewn.

Did the 850 come with cloth option, or are they all leather?

there are many 850s with cloth seats. they are usually manual adjustment with cloth seats and that makes them lighter and easier to install.

Do you mean front seats, or fronts and rears?

i meant front seats. 940 seats also fit easily.

It's you:-P
850 seats are much more supportive than 2/7/9 seats not including S/V90, drive trough bunch of corners, curves in 240 seat and then in 850...lateral support is much much better with 850 seats, and they are built way stronger than 2/7/9 seats....

850 seats have the lapbelts incorporated into the seat. They are much heavier than the 2/7/9.
No comparison though in comfort; I love the 850 seats. Getting the 850 rears to fit a 240 is a lot more work than fitting the fronts.

Sorry about waking up an old thread. I have teh same gangsta lean issue and it is really annoying. Took the seat apart but cant see any obvious issues there. Can somebody point out what exactly is bending through or failing there?

2531299968ff45_l.jpg

25312995b82fe4_l.jpg

25312997cd7f09_l.jpg

Funny because my seat frames were 100% straight, but the adjusting mechanism on the sides were angle offseted, causing serious gangsta lean. Also had a loose bolt where the mechanism is bolted to the seat bottom frame, making it even worse.

Last edited:
I found couple loose bolts and fixes by the previous owners with questionable quality. Not sure if thats the issue but we'll see.

Are the reclining parts of the seat supposed to be floppy? I can move the back part back and forth like a solid 3 inches.

The reclinging parts wear out over time, specially in the mostly used position. If you'd take it apart and reassemble in a different position, you can get some improvement.

Funny because my seat frames were 100% straight, but the adjusting mechanism on the sides were angle offseted, causing serious gangsta lean. Also had a loose bolt where the mechanism is bolted to the seat bottom frame, making it even worse.

Your car is also older, with the stronger seatback frames. This problem usually only affects the 1986-93 seats, yet the 1975-77 and 1978-85 seats don't do it. Early last year, I wound up replacing the 1987 seats I'd installed in our '92 245 with a pair from my 245 Turbo, since I was changing the interior color of that car over to tan and the seats in my car were much better than the ones in the '92.

-J

Its a weak design - only thing holding you from falling through the frame is foam and a cover. Wouldn't be surprised if a weld(s) in the corners aren't cracked. I've known people to weld gussets in the corners, or do this -

08.jpg

It stiffens up the frame and the support is very noticeable.

But then there feels like there's a bar in the middle of your back. That was my experience anyway.

Its a weak design - only thing holding you from falling through the frame is foam and a cover. Wouldn't be surprised if a weld(s) in the corners aren't cracked. I've known people to weld gussets in the corners, or do this -

08.jpg

It stiffens up the frame and the support is very noticeable.

Back