Give it some time, its a B230 so oil will come out somewhere at some point

1978 242, getting prepped for LS
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:25 AM   #77
itlksez
Board Member

Are they notorious leakers? The two I had never leaked.

Anything is better than what came in these things. The seals were literally made out of rope and leather.
itlksez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:47 AM   #78
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

The oil separator box will be the first to vent some oil vapors on the freshly painted block, but I was joking. It is not a notoriously leaky motor.
I just refurbished one for a friend, and used RTV to seal off the oil separator seals, those do kinda make a dark spot.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #79
itlksez
Board Member

I had a great trip to pull-n-save yesterday. Total price: $4 plus tax. The guy just charged me for miscellanies yard parts.

My main goal was to find some metric brake hoses after playing vehicle-roulette for two hours on Rockauto with no success. I needed ~19” hoses with an inverted flare on one end and a 10mm banjo on the other. I found what I needed on an ‘01 Infinity QX4. I made some little tabs that I drilled, tapped and bolted to the frame.

I needed some flare fittings for the steering box lines. I found them on a ‘75 Chevy C10 pickup. I used them to make a Volvo-pump-to-Chevy-box pressure hose.

I routed the lines around the steering shaft and under the front of the oil pan.

I also picked up four bump stops, a Toyota solid hub flange (to carry as a spare in case a locking hub explodes), and six hub studs and tapered cones/washers/nuts (online stores want $10 per single set).

Today I cut the mount for the Volvo power steering reservoir in half and built a bracket for it that mounts from the pass side spring tower.

It tucks into the original battery recess in the fender.

Last edited by itlksez; 12-01-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Old 12-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #80
itlksez
Board Member

I’ve been hard at work on this thing with my head down, just tackling one thing at a time without the endgame even on my mind. This morning, I stepped back and said to myself, “Holy crap. This thing is almost ready to test drive.” It was a total surprise.

Brakes are done, power steering is done, radiator hose templates are pieced together to take to the FLAPS to find something similar, the t-case seal kit should be here today so I can final-assemble that and double check the driveshafts before I weld them.

After this week, it’ll be down to a gas pedal, bumpstops, the steering wheel, wiring, gauges, bodywork and paint.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #81
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Whoo hoo!

-Project Thread-
Vol242vo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #82
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Once again, I'm speechless.
And to think you're going to take this masterpiece where there's no pavement.
Spectacular work.
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #83
itlksez
Board Member

Drivetrain is DONE! I had my neighbor stop by last night to spin tires while I marked the high spots on the driveshafts, tapped them straight and tacked them, then I welded, cleaned, painted, and installed them this morning. I was even able to find the spline boots in my parts bin.

I got the D300 re-sealed and installed yesterday.

Here’s a process-shot I took of the driveshaft weld. I gave them heavy tacks at four spots while on the rig, then grooved the joint on the bench between the tacks. I start each weld just after the tack, then finish the welds just before the next one. This prevents the tacks from getting too soft and allowing the cooling weld to deform the tack, knocking the shaft out of plane.

If I don’t have a honey-do list this weekend, I should be able to take it for a test drive by Sunday!
Old 12-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #84
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Dude....! Hoping to hear some after-first-test drive updates this weekend! Huge congrats to you my friend!
Old 12-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #85
itlksez
Board Member

Thanks man!
Old 12-06-2019, 12:50 AM   #86
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Way to raise the bar on getting stuff done, I feel like a slacker hahaha. And done really well...Looking forward to hearing about a successful test ride!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #87
DanMarino
Board Member

Love it! Love it! Love it! No way I could do anything in this thread. So cool and excellent looking work.
I had a 1994 Wrangler YJ with the 4 angry squirrels in it. I ended up getting rid of the Jeep due to the need for a new rear end and a motor rebuild. I would have loved to have put a red block Volvo engine in that thing.
DanMarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #88
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlksez View Post
Drivetrain is DONE! I had my neighbor stop by last night to spin tires
You what??

Quote:
while I marked the high spots on the driveshafts,
Oh, in the air. For a few split seconds, I imagined someone creating black stripes of rubber on the garage floor... That image disappeared almost instantly, but it was fun while it lasted.

What an awesome job, a cauldron of creativity and attention to detail. Must feel good to be so close to trying it out.
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #89
HRPufNStuf
Board Member

Eeeeek,

Looks like you chopped an original MB right fender! They are worth quite a bit of cash to the WW2 restorers in good shape. In contrast, I tossed a pair of CJ3A fenders in the trash last summer since I couldn’t give them away.

Your build is awesome and truly staggering.
Please keep posting.

Patrick

HRPufNStuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM   #90
itlksez
Board Member

I drove it!

I had a brake issue (leak) that kept me from having brakes before dark, so I couldn’t take it out for a road test. This was basically to test steering, cooling, trans and transfer case operation.

It feels really, really good. Very psyched. These are such great little engines.

https://youtu.be/UHTa4VuF0tc
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #91
itlksez
Board Member

I ran a new brake line, hooked up the sway bar, and raised the front end another inch.

I thought I had the brakes bled, but there is still air in there, so there is some funky pulling going on under hard braking.

Don’t laugh at getting stuck... they may look gnarly, but these tires are 20 yr old bias-ply dinosaur carcasses that get stuck in their own shadows. I don’t have t-case shifters made yet, so I couldn’t just flip it into 4WD.

And I know that vibration is annoying... it must’ve been in the camera mount because I didn’t hear it while driving.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #92
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Such a huge milestone, that had to be a very rewarding drive. Now to get her all dialed in.
Old Today, 12:01 AM   #93
itlksez
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRPufNStuf View Post
Eeeeek,

Looks like you chopped an original MB right fender! They are worth quite a bit of cash to the WW2 restorers in good shape. In contrast, I tossed a pair of CJ3A fenders in the trash last summer since I couldn’t give them away.

Your build is awesome and truly staggering.
Please keep posting.

Patrick

Thanks!
Yeah, I didn't realize what it was back when I started chopping. It wasn’t in great shape, so no great loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Such a huge milestone, that had to be a very rewarding drive. Now to get her all dialed in.
It just made me realize how much more work I have ahead of me.