• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DIY 240 Series Coilover Instructions

drumtice

200_Series_Coilover_Instruction_and_Parts_List.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't this already common knowledge here? Like you read the "kyote way" and re wrote it. Appreciate the pictures though, I only read books with pictures on every page. And big letters, little words.

Isn't this already common knowledge here? Like you read the "kyote way" and re wrote it. Appreciate the pictures though, I only read books with pictures on every page. And big letters, little words.

I like how he presented the process. The Kyote way doesn't give part numbers like he does and this is over all a much clearer process.

I assume you don't have to shorten the struts to use all the parts listed to make your own coil overs that aren't so low.

This just needs a parts list for the rear and you're set.

I like how he presented the process. The Kyote way doesn't give part numbers like he does and this is over all a much clearer process.

I assume you don't have to shorten the struts to use all the parts listed to make your own coil overs that aren't so low.

This just needs a parts list for the rear and you're set.

These dont require sanding down the strut tubes because they are the correct size for a 240 housing.

http://www.kaplhenke.com/collection.../products/coilover-sleeves-lower-spring-perch

coiloverstrutsleeveandperch_1024x1024.jpeg

These weld rings are conveniently the right size and ready to weld.

http://www.kaplhenke.com/collections/individual-components-parts/products/coilover-weld-rings

weldrings_1024x1024.jpeg

This is a rear kit

http://www.kaplhenke.com/collection...s/products/rear-adjustable-spring-perch-mount

Rear_Perch_SpringAssembly_1024x1024.jpeg

These strut mounts don't require cutting up your strut towers.

http://www.kaplhenke.com/collections/240/products/240-spherical-offset-strut-mounts

SideTopprofile_1024x1024.jpg

There are better fitting parts for all of what is listed above at similar / better pricing. You dont want to use the slotted upper spring perch, its tall and ill suited for strut use.

Last edited:
Oh don't get me wrong Ben. I've had my eye on your stuff for years. Been patiently saving the pennys and in about a year id guess you'll probably be seeing an order for me :nod:

I was just making a point as to how well he presented his how to.

Great way to slam a beater. But I can say from doing this several times that the amount of grinding it takes to make the saab inserts fit into the tubes is just not worth the trouble. I dont know if its just the kybs are a little bigger than everything else, but it just sucks. Also, with rates over 300 on stock valved inserts, ride quality is crap. Just my 2 cents

Great way to slam a beater. But I can say from doing this several times that the amount of grinding it takes to make the saab inserts fit into the tubes is just not worth the trouble. I dont know if its just the kybs are a little bigger than everything else, but it just sucks. Also, with rates over 300 on stock valved inserts, ride quality is crap. Just my 2 cents

I wouldn't call my car a beater... and it really wasn't hard to put in the saab inserts. I'll be sending my Bilsteins in for shortening. This is just a guide for people, I just wanted to share how I did it. Kaplhenke.com is the way to go if you have the money, Ben knows whats up.

Common knowledge, sure. All put in one place, with all the steps and part numbers?...no.

You know if your tubes are straight, the saab inserts drop right in...

yep, thats the down side of cutting and welding the housings to shorten them. the are rarely straight after + you have weld slag on the inside to worry about as well.

Kaplhenke.com is the way to go if you have the money, Ben knows whats up.

Its the same money for components that fit tho.

yep, thats the down side of cutting and welding the housings to shorten them. the are rarely straight after + you have weld slag on the inside to worry about as well.

Meh, I didn't have an issue with it. That's the main reason I did the cut as high as I did. Just in case I needed to take some slag down.

Its the same money for components that fit tho.

I got my stuff on trade, or else I would have gotten your stuff. I just wanted to post what I used.

Not the best, or cleanest car...but I'm just having fun with it.

20160203_110704.jpg

What height do you have the coilovers set at in this picture? I'm preparing to build some for my 242, and I'm thinking about passing on the whole shortening thing. I don't need extreme low rider/tucked tire status, I just want some better handling and adjustability

Nice. I'm in the middle of building my own custom struts for my 940 out of a set of fox coil overs. Obviously wayyyyyyyyywayyyyy more expensive but I'm building them lol.
Bunch of different shock parts

Nice. I'm in the middle of building my own custom struts for my 940 out of a set of fox coil overs. Obviously wayyyyyyyyywayyyyy more expensive but I'm building them lol.
Bunch of different shock parts

Back