• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to increase b21ft compression ratio?

Have fun trying to find an AE86 or 240T in the junkyards.

At least the body metal on the volvo is kinda around (mostly 86+).

700T that runs for dirt cheap on your budget?

Static compression ratio is the least of your problems if a $130 HG is going to ruin your day.

I just paid $50 for an MLS from a honda discount dealer to replace a worn out one. Then again, radiators for those cars are like $50 for an all metal Taiwan rad and they still make that basic D-series engine for some markets and the MLS hg is still in huge mass production.

For the Volvo maybe a few hundred or a thousand MLS gaskets are made in the aftermarket, not several million factory...

740 turbos are cheap as chips here, my goal is not just to worry about my own pockets. I want to show my friends that Volvos are a good option to tune as well and are severely underated. They're all driving FD rx7s, 240sx, Integra's, and e30s. If I can at least keep up with the FD on something that cost me 3-4k to build including the vehicle itself, that would be a strong message. Might keep these vehicles on the road for a bit longer.

Also I don't understand where all of the anger is coming from, why is everyone so mad that I want to build a Volvo on a budget?? They're not expensive sports cars, I can pick up a 745t for $400.

Ken,

You can get 27 mpg out of a B21FT/M46 combo in a 245. I got it out of my old redwood '83 245T. With the timing set to 10 deg BTDC, instead of 12. But, you do have to run 92 octane. E0. Not E10 or the E15 or whatever the pee is down there now. Heck, I've done 26 mpg in an '82 242Ti with a B23FT block. Didn't baby it at all either. A lot of driving in the coastal range of Oregon.

:blah:

-J

Yea I already get 30mpg in the first leg going down the coast from Newport to Brookings at 50-55mph.

No E0 is not available at all in Cali other than leaded at the airports and the Sonoma Racceway.

And no I'm not gonna tweak out the drivetrain other than shimming the center support bearing to account for raising the back up 3/4" as it's a useful tool and not a toy car.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's mad, you're just dwelling on something that isn't really an obstacle to your goals. If you want to build a powerful B21FT slap on EFI, a better cam, and a bigger turbo and run a lot of boost and timing, quit worrying about the compression ratio and bespoke headgaskets.

A 740 Turbo will already have EFI so that'll give you a big head start over a 240 Turbo, the fuel injection system on the latter isn't really friendly for going beyond the stock performance envelope on a budget.

740 turbos are cheap as chips here, my goal is not just to worry about my own pockets. I want to show my friends that Volvos are a good option to tune as well and are severely underated. They're all driving FD rx7s, 240sx, Integra's, and e30s. If I can at least keep up with the FD on something that cost me 3-4k to build including the vehicle itself, that would be a strong message. Might keep these vehicles on the road for a bit longer.

Also I don't understand where all of the anger is coming from, why is everyone so mad that I want to build a Volvo on a budget?? They're not expensive sports cars, I can pick up a 745t for $400.

th

And then you can divide by zero like a true 7 guy.

There's no anger>
You have never built a Volvo, people foolishly believe what you wrote and when people that have built Volvos and many other pretty serious cars attempt to re-assure you of the ease of what you said you want to do, rather than act like an adult or half-well-adjusted person----oh no---you end of raging and ranting about how wonderful one little stinking little 1600 motor is (and even there when you are asked about something directly connected to modding that engine, you hide from the question, not being man enough to answer--not once but twice)

A normal half well adjusted human worth engaging with when seeing the words "Yeah you can build a Volvo redblock powered 240 that can do better than a little poofter nancy boy AE86 and for cheaper money" would have--if there was any brain activity----asked "really? How is that possible? And how do you mean better? In what context?"

That's how people worth dealing with converse..

Those that have done things reference things done and answer the novices' questions--which carefully crafted questions to guide the process.

We don't know your name, your age, your personal skills, you budget, nothing..just that you are a Toyota fan-boi bigtime..

No anger, just no point in wasting time "debating' with who very likely could be a 16 year old boy goofing off in study hall.

There's no anger>
You have never built a Volvo, people foolishly believe what you wrote and when people that have built Volvos and many other pretty serious cars attempt to re-assure you of the ease of what you said you want to do, rather than act like an adult or half-well-adjusted person----oh no---you end of raging and ranting about how wonderful one little stinking little 1600 motor is (and even there when you are asked about something directly connected to modding that engine, you hide from the question, not being man enough to answer--not once but twice)

A normal half well adjusted human worth engaging with when seeing the words "Yeah you can build a Volvo redblock powered 240 that can do better than a little poofter nancy boy AE86 and for cheaper money" would have--if there was any brain activity----asked "really? How is that possible? And how do you mean better? In what context?"

That's how people worth dealing with converse..

Those that have done things reference things done and answer the novices' questions--which carefully crafted questions to guide the process.

We don't know your name, your age, your personal skills, you budget, nothing..just that you are a Toyota fan-boi bigtime..

No anger, just no point in wasting time "debating' with who very likely could be a 16 year old boy goofing off in study hall.

Hahahaha are you still butthurt bro?

I don't think anyone's mad, you're just dwelling on something that isn't really an obstacle to your goals. If you want to build a powerful B21FT slap on EFI, a better cam, and a bigger turbo and run a lot of boost and timing, quit worrying about the compression ratio and bespoke headgaskets.

A 740 Turbo will already have EFI so that'll give you a big head start over a 240 Turbo, the fuel injection system on the latter isn't really friendly for going beyond the stock performance envelope on a budget.

I just want to build an engine with the characteristics I want, is that so wrong? :) I know how to make power, I'm just trying to increase the efficiency off boost because I do a lot of city driving for my work.

I just want to build an engine with the characteristics I want, is that so wrong? :) I know how to make power, I'm just trying to increase the efficiency off boost because I do a lot of city driving for my work.

You're not wrong, just get higher compression pistons. Keep in mind, though, that every turbo car Volvo ever made is a pig on fuel in city driving, higher compression will give you more oomph off the line until the turbo spools but it probably won't bump your MPGs.

Welcome to the late 90's when we knew very little and still ran old tired B21FT's regularly.
Driver is more important than the car at street/amateur/club levels.

I had MAYBE $3k in my 242 at this point and regularly embarrassed M3's, FD's and could out drive most Viper and 930 owners.

SPIR%209-9-01%2001_zpsrchfnzk8.jpg

:)

Then stop talking about a 240 Turbo that you can't find or afford to buy if you did find a viable one.

:bro:

Just cos I can't currently find one, doesn't mean I can't afford one. I'm in the market for both a 740 turbo and a 240 turbo as they are priced similarly where I live (240 being slightly pricier), I'm just waiting for one in an acceptable condition to grab up. What ever comes first I will get, I'm asking these questions about the B21ft because if I end up with a 240, that's the motor I'll be working with obvsly. I already know what I'm going to do if I get a b230ft.

:pal:

Welcome to the late 90's when we knew very little and still ran old tired B21FT's regularly.
Driver is more important than the car at street/amateur/club levels.

I had MAYBE $3k in my 242 at this point and regularly embarrassed M3's, FD's and could out drive most Viper and 930 owners.

SPIR%209-9-01%2001_zpsrchfnzk8.jpg

Is that you in the picture?? You freakin bada$$!!!

cornerspeed_zpsqkhi6rxr.jpg

...when you only have 103rwhp.

b23f_bcam_dyno_zpsnzt8lotc.jpg

12751231_453694258158452_918682687_n.jpg

Sir, you have earned my respect! Truly goes to show how far driver skill can go in a race. Seeing an expensive Japanese sports car get passed by a lil old volvo is a sure fire way to put a smile on my face, despite my JDM "fan-boiism" :rofl:

What mods did you have on your Volvo in that picture?

Sir, you have earned my respect! Truly goes to show how far driver skill can go in a race. Seeing an expensive Japanese sports car get passed by a lil old volvo is a sure fire way to put a smile on my face, despite my JDM "fan-boiism" :rofl:

What mods did you have on your Volvo in that picture?
Keiichi Tsuchiya has mad driving skills.

Typically gutted 242 down to around 2500lbs.
Stock original to the car B23F/m46
B cam. ($50)
Exhaust cut off after 1st muffler (resonator actually) (Free)
Welded diff and 3.91 gears. ($100 for a junkyard rear end)
New/rebuilt stock (vented front) brakes all around ($600ish nowadays)
Nova/Sirius wheels with 225/50-15 DOT race tires ($100 wheels and $2-300 used tires)
Cut stock springs (Free)
KYB front struts ($70)
Bilstein rear shocks ($100 used)
GT firewall braces ($50? used)
Used Corbeau race seat from a friend ($100)
Basic tune up and a few maintenance items. ($200-300?)
Cleaned up. (Free personal labor)
Otherwise it was the same $260 car I purchased it as. ($2030 total including car)

That's Tony [reeferman's] car.
Actually it was my car. Tony's has always had single round headlights.

alfatrackday030506pic008_zps5tn0oh7s.jpg

Last edited:
And just for the record, hold out for a 242 or a 245. Much more fun to drive than a grandpa series.

89+ 245 with LH2.4 is pretty easy to +T and get reliable results from if you don't push the limits real hard.

My orange 242 weighs 2650 in street trim (big ass wheels) and only has about 200-220rwhp, but it's really fun to drive.

Back