home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 05-20-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
Mark
sex lights

Default Techwagon! Mark's CarPC/MS/Stereo/etc thread

Just some teaser pics of what I'm up to...

8.4" touchscreen- Excuse the butchery as I'm just mocking it up right now. Missing is the slotload laptop dvd+/-rw drive... It'll live in the jagged hole beneath the LCD. Heater controls and switches will be relocated to where the stereo formerly lived.

This tangle is what's providing the image on the toughscreen image. It's a VIA epia m10000 with 512mb ram, seagate 320 gb drive and an opus 160w car power supply. PC enclosure by rubbermaid

more to come!

M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
Incorrect, the Frigidaire is Mark's 86 745. It's in appliance white and it is Best Car.
'76 265 wagon with Megasquirted 350 chevy- T56 swap in progress AT LAST!
The Fridge; '86 745 DD-with full '94 LH2.4 swap
'78 Honda GL1000- naked Goldwing.

Last edited by Mark; 05-20-2007 at 12:11 PM..
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
grizlyadams
ni!

Something ive always wanted to do! Carnt wait to see the finishedness!

Griz

2007 V50 SE - chipped
grizlyadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
amargill19?
Barry McCockiner

damn! CarPC!

That's pretty cool Mark, can't wait to see it all finished.
amargill19? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
1stRaven
Needs motivation....

Nice! Something that I am looking to do with my car when I get chance. Where you thinking of sitting the componets?

and currently, I think that this thread belongs in the showroom.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Aoder1
Board Member

thats sweet man! cant wait to see it done
Aoder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
project volvo
spoolakowski

i wonder if there is anyway to make a program/ controls for heat control in the car on the pc!?!?

project slowski (bug me to update one day)^^^

my feedback thread here > FEEEEDBACK!!!!
project volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
kahluaTDI
Board Member

redo the entire center console. make it look up to date and flow a little better.
Photobucket
kahluaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
chree
Chris

Here is an inspirational thread about console/dash mods.
chree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
rom
Board Member

jeeze. i always wanted to put a screen in but damn. thats alot of screen. i was always toying with putting a 16x9 small screen up above the tray and rerouting the fans.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
impulse922
Board Member

now you need some mad tight fiberglassing skills
Old 05-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
Wes613
Board Member

Looks like it'll be tight, what are you planning on using the pc for, besides ****s and giggles?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
BDKR
Section 9

Glad to see it. That's awesome. I've considered the same thing as well, but I need to work on other mechanical things at this point in time.

Oh...., and you're using the wrong OS.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #13
Mark
sex lights

Will it ever run again?!?!?!?!?

Part of this project is the installation of my megasquirt and the rewiring of basically everything underhood, which was a monstrousy malicous mangle of miswiring.

here's a "before" shot. The big problem is that Volvos are drivers side battery where most GM stuff is passenger side. The person who wired it used pretty much an extra car worth of wiring to put all the relays on the driver's side rather than move four 12v wires in the Volvo harness. At least I assume that's why. I can't give you a logical reason why they were put on the opposite side of the starter and battery.

and here it is in mid-rewire. Ugh. I've been taking pictures and labelling everything but it's still gonna be a chore getting it all back in one piece. I've been dealing with some "non-wiring" issues too, like the crazy long accelerator cable. I'm thinking I may move half of heater hose through the interior rather than tangled around in knots underhood.

I must have removed 25 yards of wire that went nowhere.

Well, that's where I got to tonight. The uphill battle of putting it back together begins tomorrow.

M.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #14
BenW
Board Member

I see the insanity of this process has driven you to the bottle.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #15
tequila_gundam_no_chaser
tequila_gundam_hug_the_toilet

your not the only mark doing a carputer setup.
1996 850t Daily Beater
1992 740t 2jz swap with other goodies.
2000 Audi A6 5spd conversion (grown man swagg)

I look at it as they are trying to protect their own lives, not threatening mine. If I'm not doing anything really wrong (other than speeding or doing a donut), I have no reason to worry as long as I comply with their requests/commands.

-Patrick Dickman
Tuff240
tequila_gundam_no_chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
Dauntless
The Brapmaster™

I really want to see the finished job! Be sure to make a full write-up!
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #17
Matt Dupuis
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes613 View Post
what are you planning on using the pc for, besides ****s and giggles?
I'm guessing at the very least: audio/video reproduction and library & Megasquirt monitoring slash extra gauges. Possibly a GPS module as well.
Matt Dupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #18
amargill19?
Barry McCockiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dupuis View Post
I'm guessing at the very least: audio/video reproduction and library & Megasquirt monitoring slash extra gauges. Possibly a GPS module as well.
I never thought of running the megasquirt apps thru the carpc, that's brilliant!

and if you're not tooning, having the digital display guages would be Awesome! Dude, now I'm even more excited for this project to be finished! If you aint too busy with work, gimme a shout if you need a hand sometime during the week or somethin.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #19
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

This is awesome man, can't wait to see it all buttoned up!

John
The Aspirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #20
adrianpike
🔥

Quote:
Originally Posted by amargill19 View Post
I never thought of running the megasquirt apps thru the carpc, that's brilliant!

and if you're not tooning, having the digital display guages would be Awesome! Dude, now I'm even more excited for this project to be finished! If you aint too busy with work, gimme a shout if you need a hand sometime during the week or somethin.
That's the whole point, duh. I'm contemplating getting my palm gauge back in commission, for something or other...

Mark, what OS are you going to run?

I'm looking to buy, PM me if you've got any of it: LS bits, 93 850 bumper, ford 8.8", T5 WC, T56, Mustang IRS

Adrian is omniscient, you will never escape his wrath. - 500dollar744ti

doug was here
adrianpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #21
amargill19?
Barry McCockiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianpike View Post
That's the whole point, duh.
Yeah, I dunno what I was thinking before, but it just occurred to me after seeing Matt's post. Megasquirt is the sheez, I never knew how awesome it was until me and John were rippin' around while I was "laptop watch the graphs guy."
Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 AM   #22
Mark
sex lights

Sorry I haven't responded much to the carpc questions.

Matt had the right of it as to purpose. It'll be an entertainment/tuning/gps centre for the most part. The parts will live under the glove box area. I'm currently deciding how to mount the carpc, because there'll also be a fuse block, two relays, two amps and a megasquirt under there with it(along with a midbass and a full range speaker for that side). Currently I'm leaning towards a solid hinged piece to replace the cardboard thingy and bolting all the items to it.
It'll be running XP pro Adrian, mainly because I'm comfortable with it and it'll run all the stuff I need without giving me grief. Well any more than is normal for Windows.
As cool as the alien swoopy fibreglass stuff is, I'll be giving it a pass. I want the interior to remain close to stock. The ashtray area below the screen will be filled in and the whole console will be dyed/painted black to match the rest of the dash. If it looks too ugly I may try a more purpose built console.

Tonight's progress- It's not readily visible in the pic but damn does it look neater in real life. Got the engine side harness for the TPS , injectors and IAC pretty much routed. I bought way too much cable for the MS harness- All the stuff already has enough wire on it to get to the firewall easily. I'll probably have seven feet of it left over.

Oh- got the Innovate LC1 body in place too. O2 sensor will wait til I can calibrate it though.

And yeah I'll let you know Amar- I'll be getting to the "need someone to turn the damned key so I can watch the multitester" stage here later in the week.

M.

Last edited by Mark; 05-28-2007 at 04:00 AM..
Old 05-28-2007, 04:34 AM   #23
adrianpike
🔥

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmark View Post
It'll be running XP pro Adrian, mainly because I'm comfortable with it and it'll run all the stuff I need without giving me grief. Well any more than is normal for Windows.

What specific features are you looking at?
I've been kicking around the idea of a CarPC-specific OS for a while, made some interface prototypes, but haven't really had the time nor the inclination to polish it up, and I'd love to hear any input on what specifically those that are using carpc's want in their stuff aside from the usual media center, tuning, and navigation features...
adrianpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #24
Mark
sex lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianpike View Post

What specific features are you looking at?
I've been kicking around the idea of a CarPC-specific OS for a while, made some interface prototypes, but haven't really had the time nor the inclination to polish it up, and I'd love to hear any input on what specifically those that are using carpc's want in their stuff aside from the usual media center, tuning, and navigation features...
I installed everything on this PC about six months ago so I'm a little foggy on it now. I have a copy of road runner installed, which, if I remember correctly is an open source frontend that uses winamp for the media part but I really haven't played that much with it. Hell, it still has a little honda symbol rotating in the center of the screen. Gotta get THAT outta there.

The thing I really want is someone to integrate Megatune into a carpc frontend, complete with skinnable gauges. It'd be cool to be able to match my frontend to my existing gauges (My VDO Milleniums are here- woohoo!) and the vintage Volvo switches.

M
Old 05-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #25
Matt Dupuis
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmark View Post
The thing I really want is someone to integrate Megatune into a carpc frontend, complete with skinnable gauges. It'd be cool to be able to match my frontend to my existing gauges (My VDO Milleniums are here- woohoo!) and the vintage Volvo switches.
You've always been able to change the colours, ranges, and effects of the gauges in Megatune.
Matt Dupuis is offline   Reply With Quote