|05-28-2007, 06:02 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jul 2003
1984 245T mLPT B274FT Project
I decided to go ahead and make this post even though the car is not running yet. I don't know exactly when that will be, but since the Carlisle post and Ben's post have already made the car public, I might as well show you most of the rest of the work. The car is a work in progress that I have been modifying for 23 years. The car looks like I want it to look, although I know it may not be to everyone's taste. There are still things that should be changed and I will get to them as time allows. The car has 27,600 miles with only the hood having been repainted.
The car as it looks right now, although there will be several more external changes made later on this year:
This is a list of most of the modifications:
ENGINE: UNITEK&ST mLPT B274FT Volvo “Crate Motor”:
• OMEX 710 Series digital engine management system
• 1997 Vovlo B230FT block with billet stroker crank
• UNITEK Modified oil pump (spring rate)
• Bore/Stroke: 96.30mm / 93 mm (2.71 liter displacement)
• UNITEK UNI-Flo Phase III 16 valve head with additional flow modifications
• Compression ratio: 8.6:1
• Squish height: .75mm / .0295 in
• Intake valves: increased from 34.5 mm to 38 mm
• Exhaust valves: increased from 31.5 mm to 33.5 mm
• UNITEK “E-level” valvetrain: Cam - 264 duration, 11.8 mm lift; billet cam followers
• Cutting edge head gasket
• Custom forged pistons with Total Seal high performance rings
• Billet H-beam rods
• UNITEK custom intake manifold:
o dual injectors per cylinder
o 48 mm individual throttle bodies
o Jenvey 125 mm intake trumpets
o Kaplhenke Racing custom intake plenum
• UNITEK custom tubular exhaust manifold:
o Swaintech ceramic coating
o Exhaust gas temperature probes in each runner
• UNITEK baffled race oil pan with Ishihara-Johnson crank scraper
• Garrett GT-30R dual BB turbo
• Tial 40 mm wastegate
• Tial 50 mm blow-off valve
• Accusump 2 quart pre-luber / surge control
• RX-7 FC oil cooler
• Remote oil filter
• PCV oil catch can with dolphin’s throat discharge
• MOCAL turbo oil scavenge pump
• Custom 3”” exhaust with Vibrant race CAT, racing glasspak, and NB & WB O2 sensors
• AEM UEGO wideband O2 AFR system
• AEM Dryflow air filter
• Wizard Cooling custom aluminum radiator with Spal 16” electric cooling fan
• NPR 27 row aluminum intercooler
• Modified MOROSO torque-link engine stabilizer
• Cool-Flex radiator hoses
• Hello Kitty +10 HP
• 9.5 lb custom flywheel
• Sintered metal, solid center, 4-puck clutch
• Centerforce II pressure plate
• UNITEK M47R race gearbox
o Close ratio 5-speed
o Straight-cut gears
o Dog engagement (no synchros)
o Aluminum race short shifter
• One-piece PST carbon-fiber driveshaft
• Volvo limited-slip differential
HANDLING / BRAKE MODIFICATIONS:
• Momo / R-Sport steering wheel
• 17-inch TSW Blade wheels
• Pirelli P Zero Asymetrico 205/45-17
• Strut tower cross brace (currently removed due to plenum interference)
• Strut tower to firewall braces (currently removed due to plenum interference)
• Front sub-frame braces
• ipd 25 mm sway bars (front & rear)
• MVP adjustable Panhard rod
• ipd adjustable torque rods
• Rear suspension limiting straps
• Choy custom anti-roll bar end links
• Kaplhenke racing front control arms and body mounts
o Kaplhenke trailing arms
o 8” Coil springs front: 400 lb/in on MVP coil-overs with re-valved Billy HD inserts
o 10” Coil springs rear: 250 lb/in on Kaplhenke coil-overs with Koni inserts
• Kaplhenke bump steer/roll center correction
• Battery relocated to right rear tire well
• Wilwood slotted big rotors front and rear
• Wilwood calipers: 6 piston front / 4 piston rear
• Braided metal brake lines
• Brake cooling ducts from chin spoiler
• Modified Grant/Rensi ground effects
• ABS splitter / front undertray
• Aero headlamp covers
• Hood louvered above turbo
• Rear upper body Air Tab vortex generators
• Rear bumper diffuser with underbody tray
Here is a link to the pbase account where you can view 90 other labeled photos if you care to.
Thank you very much to Mike, mikep, blkaplan, volvorules, fidel, towerymt, and many others for all of the help, and to all of the TBricks DC area crew (and Nick) for keeping this to yourselves for 18 months.
"No man would listen to you talk if he didn't know it was his turn next." E. W. Howe
Last edited by pwschuh; 08-18-2011 at 09:47 PM..
|05-28-2007, 06:04 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oshawa Ontario
your car is absolutely awesome, it was a real treat to see in person.
1994 Volvo 850 | 1992 Volvo 240 | 1971 1800e
|05-28-2007, 06:20 PM||#3|
50 shades of beige
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
This is by far the nicest car ever put together on TB and it still has so much farther to go. I have known of this car and its mythical status since before I had my drivers license.
Paul you sure know how to show the youngin's how to do it!
Last edited by blkaplan; 05-28-2007 at 06:36 PM..
|05-28-2007, 06:29 PM||#5|
Can play the blues
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
It was a pleasure to meet you and see the car in person at Carlisle. Fantastic work in progress.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.
1993 245 Classic, 401k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. Genuine Volvo rusty over the axle exhaust=+30hp
|05-28-2007, 06:36 PM||#6|
Chubfest 2009 Survivor
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The neighborhood with the ******* guitar player.
unbelievable Paul. Bravo man Bravo!
|05-28-2007, 06:43 PM||#7|
Join Date: Jun 2003
very nice, and looks like ALOT of cash was put into this project..
i think your volvo lsd won''t last too long
1979 242 Turbo: b230f+16v, Holset HX40, Getrag
1990 745 Turbo: Ipd Bars, Bilsteins, BBS Wheels
2001.5 S4 Avant: Stock for now.
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD
on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
|05-28-2007, 06:44 PM||#8|
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Longview, WA
OMG WANC TITA
oh my god what a nice car that is totally awesome.
|05-28-2007, 07:10 PM||#9|
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Maryland
man im a dumbass and didnt see the car at carlisle.
Awesome car man, quite the project
93 245 - Kaplhenke Shortened coilovers with adjustable Koni Reds, adjustable rear spring perches with revalved bilstein S-10 shocks. Turbo 2.5 motor in the works.
10 v50 - Unobtainium T5 R-Design AWD M66
|05-28-2007, 07:15 PM||#11|
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Are there any photos of your vortex generator floating around?
edit: aha, for some reason I didn't spy them in your pbase first time around.
|05-28-2007, 09:51 PM||#15|
Ham fisted idiot
Join Date: Oct 2005
This is inspirational. And I now need to go change my pants.
|05-28-2007, 10:14 PM||#17|
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 38° 27' N 75° 29' W
I wish I had taken a picture of the crowd that gathered around it at one point at Carlisle. At least a dozen people, while other cars had two or three (or none) people gathered at one time.
We were so secretive about this car that we didn't even discuss it amongst ourselves. At one gathering in Cambridge we were talking a bit, but nobody would bust out any details, even though we all had seen the car. The ribbing Bne part was fun, though.
|05-28-2007, 10:18 PM||#18|
Bad for Babies
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Marina, California
I see your car and I must touch myself.
Someday I hope my car will be at that level, but I doubt I have the patience.
Very nice work.
RIP BADVLVO 3/1/1980-10/10/2015
Died at age 35
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
2000 BMW Z3
2017 Harley Davidson FXDLS Lowrider S
1968 Dodge Polara 500 convertible
1995 Ford F250 4x4 Powerstroke
Coming Soon: A Volvo...
|05-28-2007, 10:37 PM||#21|
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora, Colorado
absolutely love your car. you def pay attention to details i really enjoy seeing a volvo with this much attention. beautiful man
|05-29-2007, 04:02 AM||#22|
Your current user title
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
very very very impressive. props!
240 | 1991 | 316 KKm | B230F+T | Cossie T3 60/63 | M90 | Toyo R1R/Polaris
Amazon/121 | 1968 | finished 2020+?
760 | 1984 | B6284T swap | 2x13T | finished 201?
|05-29-2007, 05:05 AM||#23|
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
the amount of work thats gone into that car is amazing, very inspirational
244GLE Project - The fun daily driver. Rebuilt B23, ported 405, 37.5 exh. valves, BMW oil squirter's, MS2e, VX3 cam, King Springs, Bilstein HD's, upper+lower chassis braces, 26mm Falcon front sway bar, 21+19=24mm rear sway bar, SAAS bucket seats, hi flow rear muffler, almost every factory option.
164 Project - The impulse buy
242GT Project - who likes rust?