home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
YLD244
Board Member

Default Project YLD244 with Big Turbo

Hi guys, this is my car. This thread is basically a collaboration of my posts in the past.

Over the past few years ive been building up the drivetrain, and Engine Management System for this. So i have been busy over the summer holidays gathering up parts. Im working with Iliya and Gerry from A-class Automotive to build up YLD244. Iliya made up the exhaust manifold, and is taking care of the fabrication and fitting side of things including intercooler and all pipework, and Gerry is tuning the Motec.

Things are prooving to be quite tricky, as the car is RHD and everything is on that side. But its all coming out great so far, with great clearance everywhere. we'll just see how we go when we make up the dump pipe.

Exhaust manifold is finished, and being sent away to get ceramic coated. when it gets back, the fitting and tuning will begin.

Turbo is a A-Class Racing Spec'd Garrett GT series. Tial BOV and 38mm 'Gate. Injectors are Siemens 680cc. Filter is a Custom UniFilter. Intercooler is a Custom A-Class Racing unit with PWR core (should be finished this sunday, ill post pics then).

Anyway enogh talk, here are the pics.

Starting Point:

Exhaust Manifold + Some Other Parts.

Nice Collector:

Turbo and Gate Temporarily Mounted:

Fitment in a Mockup car (as my car is a DD, it needs to stay on the road):

YLD244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #2
YLD244
Board Member

Here are my new seats, I really love them, especially the pump up air bladders! so comfy!!

Garrett Turbo Blanket. Should keep a lot of the heat in, especially when the turbine housing and manifold are also ceramic coated. Pretty expensive stuff, but well worth the $$$ i reckon.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
YLD244
Board Member

Got the manifold and turbine housing back from competition coatings. They did an excellent job, even though they took nearly 3 weeks to do it. The ceramic coating is good for 900C and will last years and years as well as reducing the heat a furthur 80% more than the ceramic chrome.

Should work well with the turbo blanket i have, as well as keeping things clean.
I fitted all the studs in, which were a pain to get as 10mmx1.5x40 studs that are High Tensile were tricky to get a hold of for some reason.

I also got all the fittings fitted to the cetre cartridge for all the oil and water lines.

The intercooler is 90% finished, just needs its top and bottom plates welded on, and then a good polishing. The Core is a PWR core of custom size, and should be more than large enough, whilst still mainting throttle response. Iliya from A class made all the tanks and necks, everything is double welded inside and out.

anyway, here are the pics::

Old 06-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
YLD244
Board Member

Finally got everything together and got her running. Turbo install went very well until we got to the downpipe fabrication. It was a nightmare and took many hours. Everything else went together very smoothly like a Meccano set, so all the preperation in the past was worth it.

Drivability: Car begins to build boost at around 2800rpm. Engine is very responsive and hits fullboost by about 3600 and keeps pulling hard all the way up to redline.

Old bits and pieces we removed

The Old and the New, what a difference!!!

Genius at Work

Just got the Manifold on, Things are gonna get tight!!!

You can just see cooler through the grill

Completed Engine Bay Pics, airfilter is just temporary for now.

fits like a glove.

Hope you all like it.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
YLD244
Board Member

Hi guys, well theres been a gap between my radiator and intercooler, since i have put the new IC in. So i decided to neaten things up a bit.

Before with ugly gap:

I folded a sheet of aluminium, polished it, and whoa what a big difference. Looks heaps neater, and i guess it is functional, as the air once passed through the IC cant escape out the top before entering the Radiator.

After:

Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
YLD244
Board Member

Hi guys, ive had this wheel for a while, as it came with the seats. I didnt install it before cause the Boss kit didnt fit properly, it had this massive gap behind the collar part.
So i got my dad to machine up a spacer, and to machine down the collar to fit. Now it fits awesome!!! Very happy with how it turned out.
I also painted the plate around the horn button Satin black, as it was anodized red before.

Anyway let me know what u guys think.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 AM   #7
YLD244
Board Member

sorry there are so many pics guys.
maybe i should delete some.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
740ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLD244 View Post
sorry there are so many pics guys.
maybe i should delete some.
are you nuts? I want more!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740ATL View Post
are you nuts? I want more!
+1
73 1800es - resto
08 c30 T5 6spd - daily
97 dakota 5.2 4x4 single cab short bed - apocalypse mobile
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Thumbs up

Nice job man. That looks great.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #11
brickonboost740

Hey mate nice build up, good to see more modified bricks in Oz. Just wondering if you have done any other engine mods ie cam, headwork etc before putting the new turbo on?? Also any idea on what garrett the turbo is based on, a GT2871 or GT2876 or something bigger hence the external gate and also what size rear housing your using either the .64 or .84? Just curious as I'm currently in the middle of researching a turbo upgrade of my own and looking for as much info as possible in regards to response etc etc. What sort of power are you hoping for with this current set up? Thanks.
brickonboost740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #12
Dauntless
The Brapmaster™

Looks great! When do I get to see it again?
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #13
Tenacious Todd
Board Member

MY gosh that turbo is going to suck small children off the sidewalk as you go by. Fab work looks VERY good . One of the nicest 240's so far.
What are the specs on the turbo?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #14
MikeHardy
The Sirius/Nova Police

Great project there. nice to see things done properly on a RHD
MikeHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
suterman
Board Member

Yeah, nice.

more pics and a vid!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #16
BDKR
Section 9

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
Ruckus
Board Member

Nice build man, I am currently fabbing my own head except from stainless. and I got a similar turbo it's a garret t3/t4 hybrid, same hot side, though I think my a/r is in the low .80 range, can't remember my stuff isn't at my house. Got the same gate too. I see that you mounted the gate to a single runner, from what I have seen everyone mounts theres at the collector but you seem to be cramped for space, just wondering how thats working out for you. I don't have any pics of my stuff yet but will soon, it's in dturbo's 81 242 turbo thread. It has been a bit of a pass around car. No matter that crap. Dude your car is SOOOOOOO clean I strive for mine to be close to that.
Ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #18
YLD244
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY View Post
Got the same gate too. I see that you mounted the gate to a single runner, from what I have seen everyone mounts theres at the collector but you seem to be cramped for space, just wondering how thats working out for you.
Yeah space was a massive problem on the build. That was the only place we could put the gate. NO problems at all with regards to boost control. Boost is rock solid, no creep, no spiking, nothing. Absolutely perfect. Wastegate spring is 11psi. I use a turbosmart bleed T, and have it running 20psi every day, rock solid.

Dont wanna push it too much, as the engine is just a unopened wrecking yard motor. This is my daily driver, and does 500km per week. The Motec and tune is keeping it alive.

Turbo is dual ball bearing and is rated to go up to 45psi+.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #19
shaved240
Board Member

Quote:
Yeah space was a massive problem on the build. That was the only place we could put the gate. NO problems at all with regards to boost control. Boost is rock solid, no creep, no spiking, nothing. Absolutely perfect. Wastegate spring is 11psi. I use a turbosmart bleed T, and have it running 20psi every day, rock solid.

Dont wanna push it too much, as the engine is just a unopened wrecking yard motor. This is my daily driver, and does 500km per week. The Motec and tune is keeping it alive.

Turbo is dual ball bearing and is rated to go up to 45psi+.
20 psi daily! the car must be putting down 350whp easily on a gt35 no?
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:57 AM   #20
YLD244
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear_vs_Coyote View Post
20 psi daily! the car must be putting down 350whp easily on a gt35 no?
Not sure how much power its making, as the car is street tuned, but its enough to whoop worked GTRs, EVOs, STIs, etc. Fun car to drive.

Fuel econmomy is really good too, getting around 450km on 48 litres when driving like everyone else does. But when you give it a hit, whoa, it sucks the fuel away.
680cc injectors runnning at 75-80% at 20psi on 6000rpm.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #21
AustVolvo
Board Member

20psi on stock internals makes everyone else here look like soft-cocks. Be interesting to see what numbers you'd post on a dyno or in lieu of that calculate them from a timeslip.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:39 AM   #22
brickonboost740

Quote:
Not sure how much power its making, as the car is street tuned, but its enough to whoop worked GTRs, EVOs, STIs, etc. Fun car to drive.

Fuel econmomy is really good too, getting around 450km on 48 litres when driving like everyone else does. But when you give it a hit, whoa, it sucks the fuel away.
680cc injectors runnning at 75-80% at 20psi on 6000rpm.
Any other fuel system mods ie pump, regulator?? 20psi on stock internals?? Hmmm there's an interesting option, maybe I should be looking at something around the GT3071 size. Would be quite fun and entertaining wiping the smiles of unsuspecting drivers. Nice work.
brickonboost740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #23
YLD244
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickonboost740 View Post
Any other fuel system mods ie pump, regulator?? 20psi on stock internals?? Hmmm there's an interesting option, maybe I should be looking at something around the GT3071 size. Would be quite fun and entertaining wiping the smiles of unsuspecting drivers. Nice work.
standard Kjet pump, standard reg. no problems with fuel supply at all, fuel pressure is perfect, and there is still heaps of fuel returning to tank under fuel load.

Just remember its poor tune that blows motors up.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #24
Jordan
Board Member

Your car is so cool. You should really black the interior out though.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 AM   #25
klr142
Turbo, what?

Looking GREAT Marc!!! I thought the car had been together for a while, so I started to go look for dyno sheets because I always hear you talking about your setup... But I found this thread... So how long has it been together and driving? You make it sound like a while, but at the same time, you also make it sound like the car wasn't even on the road a week ago?

When's the first trip to the dyno?
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote