home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
smurf244
The smurf is no more
 
smurf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta
Default 1991 780 aka SE Dyno Killer

I just got back home with my new used turbo Volvo. It's a all stock 1991 780 Bertone ; dark blue with black interior and has 136k miles.



It will definetly get a bigger turbo and 3 inch exhaust but I am not sure what else I want to do with it.
Tell me what y'all think and tell me what problems are common it these cars.

Thanks,
Adam
__________________
1988 244: RIP.
1991 780 Bertone aka The Dyno Killer: Sold. RIP.
1994 945 Turbo: Voxx 16x7 MG, A cam, 240 parts, & DD
1994 965: Parted out, PM with needed parts
1983 244 GLT: Factory/dealer turbo and intercooler, black on black, B21F intake, 850 seats, Voxx 17x8 MG, B&G springs, HD's, NPR, M46etc.
1979 242 GT: Project

Last edited by smurf244; 02-06-2010 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Update
smurf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
volvogeek
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Default

Nice and clean. BNE has everything you'll need
volvogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
mikes02ls1
Stolz, deutsch zu sein!
 
mikes02ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Casa Grande,AZ
Default

Damn where did ya find it? Looks good..
__________________
Desert Detail & More LLC
89 Toyota Cressida
Uncle Ben's Powered..
Old car 2002 Z28

http://lsx.streetfire.net/video/610d...73014ac34d.htm
mikes02ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
740Weapon
Traitor
 
740Weapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Salem MA
Default

apply these items:

15g, 3" exhaust, IPD turbo cam, Browntop injectors, MBC, NPR intercooler, billy HDs, Lower Brace, good tires, 24mm front sway, poly where possible.

the problem with bertones is preventing them from becoming a POS, because any bertone specific parts are terribly hard to come by. many bertone owners on this board have extra cars because they are so paranoid about not being able to get certain parts.
__________________
'92 944 Turbo:13.400@99.68. Sold.
'90 744 16 Valve. 16.317@85.55. Sold.
'92 244. Sold. http://pbase.com/740weapon
740Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
VolvoPunch
Board Member
 
VolvoPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta
Default

WOW What a car! It looks brand new. I love everything about the bertone's and ones you get a better turbo i am sure it will be running with the best of them Nice find!
VolvoPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
norcal505
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Default

ive always to own a 780 at one point in my life.....
lucky!!
__________________

1991 BMW E30: Awaiting 24V Swap
1983 Peugeot 505: Creuxser
1992 Volvo 245 GLT-Look "Swagga-wagon"
norcal505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
smurf244
The smurf is no more
 
smurf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvogeek View Post
Nice and clean. BNE has everything you'll need
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes02ls1 View Post
Damn where did ya find it? Looks good..
Thanks, I was just driving around a was like "Oh s**t, was that a Bertone for sale?" So after some haggling, I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740Weapon View Post
apply these items:

15g, 3" exhaust, IPD turbo cam, Browntop injectors, MBC, NPR intercooler, billy HDs, Lower Brace, good tires, 24mm front sway, poly where possible.

the problem with bertones is preventing them from becoming a POS, because any bertone specific parts are terribly hard to come by. many bertone owners on this board have extra cars because they are so paranoid about not being able to get certain parts.
I working on a deal for a 15g off an 850 and I am thinking about a K cam instead of the IPD T cam. I have a few sources that I can get parts if need be so I am not too worried.

Thanks,
Adam
smurf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
smurf244
The smurf is no more
 
smurf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride53 View Post
ive always to own a 780 at one point in my life.....
lucky!!
Thanks, just keep looking and you will find the right one.
smurf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
impulse922
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: satx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740Weapon View Post
apply these items:

15g, 3" exhaust, IPD turbo cam, Browntop injectors, MBC, NPR intercooler, billy HDs, Lower Brace, good tires, 24mm front sway, poly where possible.

the problem with bertones is they weigh 300-400lbs more than your normal 740 turbo and they have craptastic IRS
Fixed, but since you have a 91' your IRS actually decent.

i commend you on buying a 91', you shouldn't regret it at all
__________________
-Matt
'90 780 and '03 s60 T5M
impulse922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
Nick
Board Member
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winter Park, FL
Default

Badass Adam.

In amazing shape.
__________________
-Nick

S30 & E30
No mas Volvo.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #11
Sonik
Board Member
 
Sonik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Default

Nice, manno!
__________________
Silver 1997 960 bit o sexiness...VFBG FTW!!!
Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury
 
Kjets On a Plane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse922 View Post
Fixed, but since you have a 91' your IRS actually decent.

i commend you on buying a 91', you shouldn't regret it at all
no no, he is correct. Bertones are like any other 700 full of ****ty interior plastic, nasty headliners, leaky moonroofs etc. Just now all that **** is rare and expensive ****. Great.
Such said, that is a great color, and the bertone is the one 700 I can look at and not feel sick.
The other good thing is that most bertones come in a few colors, so if I had to have one long term, I'd probably snag a somewhat banged up parts car the same color since the parts cost can be incredible.

Beware water drainage issues below those rear sail windows. Bertones have some rust issues in a few spots.
__________________
How PSI a stock can support?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #13
Vol242vo
Board Member
 
Vol242vo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Default

Identical to my brothers last Bertone. Well interior is in nice shape...Really nice 780!
__________________
-Derek- 1980 242


Click Here for Project Thread
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 AM   #14
VolvoPunch
Board Member
 
VolvoPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta
Default

http://web.archive.org/web/200503080...vo/fast700.htm
VolvoPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
Body Massage
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Body Massage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 945ti View Post
no no, he is correct. Bertones are like any other 700 full of ****ty interior plastic, nasty headliners, leaky moonroofs etc. Just now all that **** is rare and expensive ****. Great.
Such said, that is a great color, and the bertone is the one 700 I can look at and not feel sick.
The other good thing is that most bertones come in a few colors, so if I had to have one long term, I'd probably snag a somewhat banged up parts car the same color since the parts cost can be incredible.

Beware water drainage issues below those rear sail windows. Bertones have some rust issues in a few spots.
+1 to drain issues at sail windows. The rust gets bad back there.

Uhhh.... I've owned 4 now. And none of them lost the headliner. One of them leaked in the moon roof. The least cared for didn't leak at all. It is a 91. They're not like a '****ty 700'.

And about the swaybar, I'm pretty sure 91s had a 24mm front sway stock. Or at least pretty sure mine has one.
__________________
-The other other Dana

Body Massage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #16
Chris_R
Kickin' rocks in sandals
 
Chris_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Loganville, GA
Default

That looks awesome! Interior looks immaculate, so does the exterior... Where did you find it?

Glad you finally found a coupe... and it fits into the whole 'smurf' theme.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Ermergherd!! Erm gernner kerhm!!
1995 964 (Silver)
1992 944Ti (White)
1996 965 (Burgundy) - Scrap
1994 945 Ti (Black) - Sirius Black Scrap
1992 944 GL (Black) - Killed by drunk driver
1988 745Ti (Silver) - Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrickMan View Post
Long story short I found out she's a squirter.
Chris_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
smurf244
The smurf is no more
 
smurf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta
Default

Thanks everyone. I will keep an eye on the sunroof and those snail windows.
One quick question. Did the factory radio have a amp in the rear trunk? My rear speakers are not hooked up because the PO add some short of system in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_R View Post
That looks awesome! Interior looks immaculate, so does the exterior... Where did you find it?

Glad you finally found a coupe... and it fits into the whole 'smurf' theme.
Thanks, I am off work today so if you want to take a closer look at it let me know.

Adam
smurf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #18
Chris_R
Kickin' rocks in sandals
 
Chris_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Loganville, GA
Default

Wish I could - working today.

We need another ATL meet soon!!!
Chris_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #19
smurf244
The smurf is no more
 
smurf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_R View Post
Wish I could - working today.

We need another ATL meet soon!!!
If you are not to busy after work, you can have a closer look.
Yes, we do need a ATL meet even though it won't as fun since 740atl abandoned us
smurf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
Chris_R
Kickin' rocks in sandals
 
Chris_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Loganville, GA
Default

And Gene too.
Chris_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #21
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury
 
Kjets On a Plane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Massage View Post
+1 to drain issues at sail windows. The rust gets bad back there.

Uhhh.... I've owned 4 now. And none of them lost the headliner. One of them leaked in the moon roof. The least cared for didn't leak at all. It is a 91. They're not like a '****ty 700'.

And about the swaybar, I'm pretty sure 91s had a 24mm front sway stock. Or at least pretty sure mine has one.
They don't lose the headliner as bad as a 744, but just get one from somewhere warmer and the glue detaches.

They are like any other garbage 700 with more crap to break. Door cards that like do delaminate? Check. Flimsy glovebox door? Check. Nasty plastic in general plenty of places? check. Tons and tons of interior trim to break? Check. Sure, some stuff is better, but all the usual crap breaks, and they have those god awful power seats.
Moon roof leaks often, sail windows leak. I say have a parts car handy if you want to keep one nice. Probably cheaper to have a parts car anyway since the parts themselves are so silly expensive.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Thats one of my favorite colors combos for the 780. Very nice!
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #23
Anteb240
The Bham noob
 
Anteb240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bellingham, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 945ti View Post
no no, he is correct. Bertones are like any other 700 full of ****ty interior plastic, nasty headliners, leaky moonroofs etc. Just now all that **** is rare and expensive ****. Great.
Such said, that is a great color, and the bertone is the one 700 I can look at and not feel sick.
The other good thing is that most bertones come in a few colors, so if I had to have one long term, I'd probably snag a somewhat banged up parts car the same color since the parts cost can be incredible.

Beware water drainage issues below those rear sail windows. Bertones have some rust issues in a few spots.
I believe we were talking about this on like tuesday eh james?

Great find man! i am definatly jealous... dont pull a typical tbricker and make it a hooptie that goes fast :P cuz those 780's, in that condition, are hard to come by
__________________
1988 Volvo 740 Turbo DEAD
1984 Volvo 240 Turbo b230ft swap slowely in progress
1983 Volvo 240 wagon Fugly

View the project plan: Here. View the picture posts: 1
Anteb240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #24
Body Massage
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Body Massage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 945ti View Post
They don't lose the headliner as bad as a 744, but just get one from somewhere warmer and the glue detaches.

They are like any other garbage 700 with more crap to break. Door cards that like do delaminate? Check. Flimsy glovebox door? Check. Nasty plastic in general plenty of places? check. Tons and tons of interior trim to break? Check. Sure, some stuff is better, but all the usual crap breaks, and they have those god awful power seats.
Moon roof leaks often, sail windows leak. I say have a parts car handy if you want to keep one nice. Probably cheaper to have a parts car anyway since the parts themselves are so silly expensive.


Maybe I've just been lucky. The only '700' thing that went was a crack in the dash. But I think your 240s get that too . No leaky moonroof, no leaky sail window power seats both worked great non broken glovebox door.

230k on it when it was forcefully taken from me. So

My new one just has the leaky sail windows because it wasn't taken care of.(Left in a puddle of mud for an extended period of time)
Body Massage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #25
smurf244
The smurf is no more
 
smurf244's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta
Default

Its been a long time sense I updated this thread so I figure I will post some of the things that has been done.

Didn't do much to the car the rest of 2007, just change out the radio and did a tune up.

Some time in 2008, the +T would act up and would not control the waste gate.
Would normal do a max boost of this:

And then sometimes it would do this and keep climbing:

It would only do this once in a while but just to keep things from blowing up, I installed a MBC and set the boost to 15 psi.
It also developed a off the line cluck that I am still sorting out but I think I have it figured out.

Then it was time for SE7 so new tires, cleaned up the engine bay and installed some subs.




SE was a great time and I did run it down the track but I don't remember the times; then there was the dyno day. I was the only ready for the dyno so I was first on, I will let the picture tell the rest.

Yes it broke the dyno, maxing it out and somehow fried the dyno computer.

2009 came around it it was time for some upgrades by the way of a NPR intercooler, 4 bar FPR, iPD T cam, and 3" turbo intake.


Will get the rest of the install pictures next update.
Now its ready for SE 7.5 or is it? It broke the dyno again.
After this, the car mostly just sit under it's blanket(car cover) and drove when needed.

Its now 2010 and time for some more upgrades now that I have moved to a near location. I now have a 3" turbo back exhaust and chipped computer by the way of Ryan(780racer) and sense the Smurf project got crushed, I have a new T3/T4 turbo with a ported manifold ready to get installed.
I will post more when as the project moves forward.

Adam
smurf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.