• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

diesel +T

500dollar744ti

still rides with MrDoug
300+ Club
i now have an '84 240gl diesel that was given to me as a gift.

it has very low miles and i would like to slap a turbo on there. i am only partially familiar with diesels, regular maintenance and such, never done much more than that. so besides adding turbo/intercooler/manifold/oil lines what has to be done with the injection pump? d24 and d24t use the same internals? thanks in advance.

you know ive been yearning for a diesel forever.

Sell it to me damnit, ill trade you 760 and you can sell it or something

I read the d24t has beefier internals along with squirters

edit: :wtf: a gift? Gift it to me

edit2: at least lemmie drive it!

Last edited:
**** I wish I had seen this earlier, I was just at the scrap yard and they had a turbo-diesel 740 there. I think the turbo manifold is still on it. If I go back within the next week I'll check and see...if you want me to pull it for ya that is ;)

**** I wish I had seen this earlier, I was just at the scrap yard and they had a turbo-diesel 740 there. I think the turbo manifold is still on it. If I go back within the next week I'll check and see...if you want me to pull it for ya that is ;)

do it!
ill pay for it too, its one step closer to my dream DD 240

:drool:

Pull the injection pump too, he'll need it. It has an "LDA" on it, that increases fueling according to boost pressure. The NA diesels don't have an LDA on their injection pumps.

There should be a vaccuum line that goes from the turbo to the LDA, or teed into the wastegate hose, that tells the injection pump how much boost the engine is making at any given time.

see, it runs well and has a NEW injection pump, you just can't use "fast" and "this car" in the same sentence.

if the d24t has different internals then forget it, this car is in way too good of shape to be messing up.

I wish my friends would give me cars as gifts.

when you do hundreds of dollars worth of work on their cars at no charge they do stuff like that.

see, it runs well and has a NEW injection pump, you just can't use "fast" and "this car" in the same sentence.

if the d24t has different internals then forget it, this car is in way too good of shape to be messing up.

when you do hundreds of dollars worth of work on their cars at no charge they do stuff like that.

why not swap the rods and pistons out?
I mean it would be alot of work, but why not?

I test drove an early 80's Mercedes 240d with a 4 speed transmission once. It was one of the most terrifyingly slow cars I have ever driven. I had people honking at me and making rude gestures as I was trying to get it up to 40. Now, the BMW 524td I test drove just after that was quite the opposite...

the rods and pistons are the same, the d24t has oil squirters.

I don't know about the rods, but I know that the turbo pistons are beefier, and have a cut-out for the squirters. I think you could +T a D24 if you had the right parts, and it would last plenty long if you ran stock (11psi or so) boost, timing, and fuel. If you want more than stock D24T power, you'd be a lot better off with a real D24T.

The chevy 350 diesel was a complete piece of crap but cars with this motor are highly sought after. Why? Two reasons, diesels fall under different emmissions laws and the vin is usually enough to be exempt from inspection in most states so you can slap in whatever you want.
The second reason, while the 350 diesel was completely different from the gas 350 and was reguarded as a pos, the block was used to make high horsepower gas motors. Anyone want to take a swing at a +gas d24?

Leave it stock. Don't mess with it. What you can do to make it have more go would be remove A/C and power steering - Add Electric Fan. Put on a better flowing exhaust. if auto put in a stick. that would be about it.

Back