home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
aljoy1

Default 1995 Volvo 960 Blinking orange arrow

I have a 1995 Volvo 960, with 235,000 miles, that is running fine but the orange arrow is blinking on the dash and the W/E/S is flashing on the console. I brought it to a local mechanic and he could not get a code from the computer - although the flashing had stoppped when I dropped it off. He thinks maybe the computer is bad and suggested just driving it. The flashing is back - I read that it is most likely the Gear Position sensor but without any codes - wouldn't want to raplace that. Is it ok to drive the car like this - do you think the code could be found while the arrow is blinking - should I bring it to a Volvo dealer? It seems to be driving fine - maybe in a lower gear but I can't really be certain.
Thanks.
aljoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
745wagon
Board Member

Is it the overdrive arrow? (probably an Orange one that points up)

If it is that light, and it is flashing,I am pretty sure Something is wrong with the transmission and it is in limp mode. I learned about that working with my dad at a volvo shop.
745wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
nedc
Board Member

pnp switch.
nedc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
aljoy1

do you know if the orange arrow needs to be on to get a code from the transmission / computer? The car has been running ok but tonight felt sluggish. I put my foot on the brake, pushed the override button and moved the shift up and down and the arrow was off when starting.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
245gti
Adapting Stuff

Do you have a speedometer? I had the same issue on my 960 but it threw a "no speed input" error code. Meant the tranny didn't know when to shift and would do weird things if I didn't control it manually. Turned out the big plug to the main ecu was loose after joe mechanic tried to reset everything by unplugging it to get rid my persistent check engine light. I plugged it in properly and everything is fine...
Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
Bonerjams240DL
Board Member

M47-II ftw.
Bonerjams240DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
TheJoyOfSix
Grumpy old git

It's either dodgy connections in the multi-plug that carries the electrical connections to the gearbox, or it's a faulty PNP switch.

Crawl under the car and justin front of the gearbox are two multi-plugs that you should disconnect, spray cleaner in and then reconnect (Ign off whilst you do this).

Move the gear selector from P to L at least 30 times in one movement to clean the contacts in the PNP switch.

Chance s are the car will then be fine.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
aljoy1

I have thought is was a connection problem - I will try to locate the gear box and clean those connections. I assume the gear box will be behind the engine - just in front of the tranny?
And tTo reset the PNP switch, do I turn the key just before the engine starts or it doesn't matter as long as I can move the gear selector. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoyOfSix View Post
It's either dodgy connections in the multi-plug that carries the electrical connections to the gearbox, or it's a faulty PNP switch.

Crawl under the car and justin front of the gearbox are two multi-plugs that you should disconnect, spray cleaner in and then reconnect (Ign off whilst you do this).

Move the gear selector from P to L at least 30 times in one movement to clean the contacts in the PNP switch.

Chance s are the car will then be fine.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
he3r0
Board Member

just disconnect the battery before cleaning and spraying anything anywhere...
he3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
245gti
Adapting Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljoy1 View Post
I will try to locate the gear box and clean those connections. I assume the gear box will be behind the engine - just in front of the tranny?
Check his location...the gearbox is the tranny
245gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
aljoy1

still driving with the orange blinking arrow coming on randomly. When it comes on - sometimes there is no change in performance, sometimes very sluggish at the start, and a few times the speedometer didn't work. I went under the car and checked the connections - disconnected the battery first - all seemed tight so I left that alone. The light didn't come on for days but did when the car was just idling. Strange situation - my next thought was to bring to a Volvo dealer but not sure if they will get any codes when the arrow isn't blinking - any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
trevorcrowell
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljoy1 View Post
still driving with the orange blinking arrow coming on randomly. When it comes on - sometimes there is no change in performance, sometimes very sluggish at the start, and a few times the speedometer didn't work. I went under the car and checked the connections - disconnected the battery first - all seemed tight so I left that alone. The light didn't come on for days but did when the car was just idling. Strange situation - my next thought was to bring to a Volvo dealer but not sure if they will get any codes when the arrow isn't blinking - any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
reseat the connections(unplug an plug them back in) on the tranny. just checking them may not be enough.

Current Vehicles:
1987 Volvo 244 DL

Past Vehicles:
1992 Land Rover Range Rover Classic (Dead)
2002 Land Rover Freelander (KV6 Fail)
1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 (Lucas Nightmare)
1977 Volkswagen Super Beetle Cabriolet (Bosch L-Jet)
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD (CRANK WALK!!)
1991 Volvo 944 Turbo (Dead)
1996 Volkswagen Jetta Trek (Wrecked)
2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab (Gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald
"...which just goes to prove my theory -- Germans love David Hasselhoff."
trevorcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
tjts1
Board Member

PNP switch. Run the shifter back and forth between P and L repeatedly and see if it goes away.
http://www.brickboard.com:80/FAQ/700...tchReplacement

Greed is good.
tits for president
tjts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
aljoy1

I ran the shifter back and forth and the arrow went away. Came back on again and checked transmission codes and found 232 - speedometer sensor. Could this cause the blinking arrow coming on / off at times. I was afraid to pull the connectors without the car on a lift. But if I have to bring it to a mechanic - I would like to know what the problem is before they start trying different things. Thanks.