home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 10-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Ursan
الله الفول السوداني شطائر

Default 780 SAM Brace Install.

If any link is broken, please let me know, until then please go to my PhotoBucket 780 Project Page

Bought this brace from Boxdriver2.

I originally thought it'd be one of the funky ones. I thought it'd need welding & or re-drilling.

I be wrong.

At first, the strut top mount studs (pics 3 & 4) were too far apart. I took the advice of someone (JE Jr?) who said jack the car up to relax things. Then I removed the retaining nuts. Once I did that the studs 'relaxed' a bit & I was able to slip the end plates on with a minimum of coercion.

Also, with the car up in the air, the distance between the brace end mounts let up just enough to fit the brace without cutting or welding or any other modification to the brace or the car.

Count me lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr brick driver View Post
Do you realize this is a rare car. From what i can see you ruined the eblems, the door lock cylenders, and casued about an additional 1000 in work for someone who wants to actally paint this car...ruined, RUINED, RUINED

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer

Last edited by Ursan; 07-05-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
pooprah

looks good but i thought your gunna sell it for a fwd pos :razz:
Old 10-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Ursan

sell...my...780? NEVER!
Old 10-12-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
BoxDriver2

I knew it fit the day I shipped it, I bolted it onto the 745 I marked it as questionable to be on the safe side since it didn't go on as easy [my car was backed into a number of years ago in the driver front corner].

I have an old iPD style brace to replace that one. I like SAM and all, but the more i looked at it, the less it fit what I wanted to do with the car and the old iPD plates give me a little more freedom with whatever might end up powering the car [i.e. nothing will change and i've been trying to sell it for a while-why lose more].

Glad to see it worked well for you.

Last edited by BoxDriver2; 10-12-2008 at 03:30 AM..
BoxDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
maxman142001
I like turtles

lucky

-2011 VW GTi
maxman142001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Ursan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxDriver2 View Post
I knew it fit the day I shipped it, I bolted it onto the 745 I marked it as questionable to be on the safe side since it didn't go on as easy [my car was backed into a number of years ago in the driver front corner].

I have an old iPD style brace to replace that one. I like SAM and all, but the more i looked at it, the less it fit what I wanted to do with the car and the old iPD plates give me a little more freedom with whatever might end up powering the car [i.e. nothing will change and i've been trying to sell it for a while-why lose more].

Glad to see it worked well for you.
Same here & thanks.

So far what I've noticed is that it doesn't really improve cornering so much as it removed that "perpetual motion" feeling I got when making direction changes. It returns to neutral really fast now. I almost wish I could mount a camera under the hood & drive it to witness the articulation.... Wait, I can if I wanted to...

Also,the only thing that concerns me about it's design is that it's mounted in only 2 places. I wonder if it'd be practical to add an additional mount point opposite of the bar to give it additional 'firmness'

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Like on the two-forty, it has three strut mount studs.

Maybe it's a pipe-dream

Also, I'm thinking of painting it black. Just 'cause.