• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

saab temp sensor efan

The fitting from the SAAB works great, but the switch in it is too high of a temperature rating, it is intended for the upper radiator hose. You'll need to replace it with a lower temp switch, I used a 92/87 switch. I also grabbed a switch from a SAAB radiator, which is supposed to be the correct temp, but I haven't verified that yet.
The temp switch in a SAAB fitting in the lower hose has been working for me for probably 5 years and two different fan setups.

You can just barely see the red wires leaving the temp switch in this photo, but the switch itself is hidden by the upper radiator hose.
08intake.jpg

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=55108
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=96363
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=76270

I'm running one, the one I got from the yard had the 92 on 87 off, If you're running it on a 240 I think you want the 82 degrees on-75(78?) degrees off, because my fan will kick on like 3 mm above the very middle of my temp gauge, but the 92 degree one it would turn on at 3 quarters of the way up and scare the crap out of me everytime, I think I bought a new temp switch for it for like 8$ off of an online site.

edit: I noticed I contradicted your post neptune, my bad, but I'm still sure that I use the 82 degree one

edit2: http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoh...-001&category=G5030&part=Auxiliary Fan Switch The bottom one is the one I'm pretty sure I use, The odd thing is... my Megasquirt says my fan turns on at 203degrees F but that temp switch I bought is supposed to turn on at 180, maybe its because its in the bottom rad hose, where as the temp signal for ms is in the head.

Last edited:
edit: I noticed I contradicted your post neptune, my bad, but I'm still sure that I use the 82 degree one
Your temperature may be a better choice than mine. I'm pretty sure I use the 92/87 still. That's what I wrote down years ago when I put it in. I think originally that SAAB pipe that I got had a 102/97 or something in it, way too high.
My fan comes on slightly less than 3/4 of the way up the temp gauge, but a bit above half-way. When I put the new radiator in it earlier this year I put a 92/87 switch from IPD in the radiator temp switch fitting, but the fan didn't come on until the temp gauge was nearly in the red. Which I thought was odd since if the two switches had the same temp range I assumed the radiator-mounted switch would come on first (radiator hotter) but it certainly didn't. Maybe my temp switch was mismarked. I do remember checking the new radiator temp switch and the switch I have in my SAAB fitting and they were the same temp. Anyway, I just reversed the wiring so the low speed went to the saab switch and high-speed goes to the radiator switch as an overheat precaution.

i'm running one in the upper rad hose on my b27. but i bought the temp switch for a lower hose placement (82*-on, 78*-off) :grr: so it's on all the damn time once the car warms up, unless it's less than 50 degrees out. i'm going to pull the compensator from my temp guage and try one that's a higher temp, probably an 87/82.

if you get the right temp setup going it's a very nice way of doing it.

I have a Saab sensor ( 92/87) in the lower hose. Driving a steady 30 mph in summer heat it rarely comes on, in stop and go it's on about 50% of the time.

ThermoSensor.jpg

Problem with the Saab fitting is that they rust...so I am almost finished making a stainless steel one out of marine grade 316L.
When I have the setup right I will be making more of them if anybody is interested...

When I put an 940 efan in liz's 240, I also used a 92/87 temp switch in the lower radiator hose. It was always perfectly reliable. It turned on when the temp gauge was about 2mm above the 1/2 point and turned off 2mm below the 1/2 point. It lives on in some other volvo now. If the car was moving it was almost never ON except in stop and go traffic or really really hot days.
Problem with the Saab fitting is that they rust...so I am almost finished making a stainless steel one out of marine grade 316L.
When I have the setup right I will be making more of them if anybody is interested...
Thats a great idea.

true. i actually had one fabbed at a radiator shop (i had to: my hoses are 3/4" larger diameter than yours), it's actually made of brass.

Cool. Brass is good!
I have some marine grade ally to make some from too.
Waiting for a couple of tools to arrive so I don't have to do an hour with a file, making it much faster...

true. i actually had one fabbed at a radiator shop (i had to: my hoses are 3/4" larger diameter than yours), it's actually made of brass.

I nearly forgot about the difference. That would have made an unpleasant discovery after I had hacked into the hoses on the B28F to put my spare SAAB switch in. Thanks for the reminder!

Back