• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Harbor Freight boost gauge FTW

ELM

Saw that they started carrying gauges a couple weeks ago. Got a coupon in my email and went on a shopping spree. A boost gauge was one of the things I had to get.

DSC01319.jpg

$19.99 before 25% off coupon +
$1.44 for straight vacuum adapter (hose in kit was too short) +
~$1 for a few more feet of vacuum line +
a few electrical connectors, electrical tape & some spare wire (ground lengthened to a good chassis bolt) +
a few hours of install =

DSC01320.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

Car @ idle pulling vacuum
DSC01322.jpg

T fitting on intake (did not cut original line, kit came with extra little piece & T fitting)
DSC01325.jpg

Routing under hood
DSC01326.jpg

Hood cable boot through firewall on the S60 has an extra place to punch through (very nice fit)
DSC01315.jpg

I had to cut some of the case off of the gauge for it to fit in the only 2" wide space in the dash cubby. Resealed gauge with plastic bag & tape. Clearance is super tight, but it works great, stock boost spike is ~10 psi which is what I expected, so it seems to be accurate. Build quality looked pretty good inside when I cut the case off. All the gears/mechanisms look to be brass & copper.

Yeah i saw last month that harbor carries those now. But a little too flashy for my taste. :)

btw, there != their

i was gonna get one too but am kinda iffy about the accuracy. they also have oil temp., pressure..tranny...ect. prety much everything.

harbor freight is a great place to shop:nod: (disclaimer: i don't work therre)

it says nitrous, but only goes to 20 psi.:lol: Looks sweet in there man. What kinda bewst are you seeing?

~10 psi max., but it doesn't stay there, it levels to ~7-8 during hard acceleration. If I got the IPD tune the max. boost is rated @ 18, so the gauge would still be fine. I installed it to make sure the TCV is working correctly, IPD is selling an HD version now for WWD.

Have you thought about filling the two gaps above the gauge with something?
Nope, it is done as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the comments.

i went and bought the boost gauge from my local harbor freight and during the install i lost the wiring diagram due to wind :grrr:care to share the color codes?

~10 psi max., but it doesn't stay there, it levels to ~7-8 during hard acceleration. If I got the IPD tune the max. boost is rated @ 18, so the gauge would still be fine. I installed it to make sure the TCV is working correctly, IPD is selling an HD version now for WWD.

damn, if only stock t5s had 10psi all the time, then it would be more than a hoot to drive stock.

Back