• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A lap in my '66 1800S at Thunderhill

sreams

VCOA, April 27th. Enjoy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oipeO0zyiRA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oipeO0zyiRA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice! Info on the car?

1966 Volvo 1800S
B20F motor
Head, double valve springs, camshaft from John Parker of VPD
dual Mikuni HSR45 carburetors
2 1/4" exhaust
Sport springs from John parker, progressive in front
Bilstein shocks
poly bushings

It weighs about 2500lbs and makes about 100hp at the wheels. The handling is currently it's strongest point. Very balanced around the track.

Awesome--that downhill right-hander looks nasty! How fast on the straight (if the Smiths reading can be trusted)?

I have a '67 with a B20 making similar power. Stock springs and KYB gas shocks, though it does have ipd sways and 50-series rubber. I may take it to Buttonwillow later this month, so thanks for the inspiration!

Awesome--that downhill right-hander looks nasty! How fast on the straight (if the Smiths reading can be trusted)?

If I hit the last two turns just right, I get about 100mph on the straight. Right at the redline in 4th.

I have a '67 with a B20 making similar power. Stock springs and KYB gas shocks, though it does have ipd sways and 50-series rubber. I may take it to Buttonwillow later this month, so thanks for the inspiration!

Sounds good. Maybe we'll both be at the same track one day. The only thing I miss out there is other cars from the same vintage.

thats awsome. What does it take to get a street car on the track like that?

$200.00 us

We are setting up our fall Track Day. You will be able to pre-register and save some $$$ I don't have the pricing structure, but will get it on here ASAP. It will be on Thursday November 5th.

Scott, looks like you had fun. Thanks for coming out.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Board!

I enjoyed checking out your car at Davis and seeing it run at Thunderhill. It held its own with much more modern cars. Its nice to have another person with perfomance in mind for their vintage vehicles. Your board name would be even more appropiate if your middle initial was c. Looking forward to seeing more of you and your car! Harry

Your board name would be even more appropiate if your middle initial was c. Looking forward to seeing more of you and your car! Harry
:lol: Agreed!

Scott, an awesome car, and it's awesome to see you out there enjoying it like that. Would've been fun to run the cars closer together, but I think the tires would've been giving me quite the unfair edge. I was hitting about 95 on the straight, so your 100 sounds about right for being lighter and more aerodynamic.

Wish I could make it out there more often, but it is a BIT of a drive.

Make sure you send in your dyno sheet to John Parker and see if you can beef up the torque curve a bit, as well as get those carbs a bit more driveable down low. What are you using for ignition again? I wonder if one of those 1 2 3 distributors would be to your favor...

Wow what a track! did u do the whole track in 3rd gear with one change into 4th for the straight?

Starting from the main straight:

4th on the main straight and through turn 1
3rd entering turn 2
Sometimes 4th for a second after turn two if I get enough speed
3rd through 3 and 4
2nd entering turn 5
3rd through 5a and 6
4th through 7 and 8
3rd into 9
4th down the hill after 9
3rd into 10
2nd into 11
3rd through 12 and 13
4th on the back straight
3rd through 14 and 15
and 4th on the main straight again

Make sure you send in your dyno sheet to John Parker and see if you can beef up the torque curve a bit, as well as get those carbs a bit more driveable down low. What are you using for ignition again? I wonder if one of those 1 2 3 distributors would be to your favor...

Yeah... I've sent the dyno sheet to JP. Not sure what's up with the torque curve. It feels like more than that for sure. It definitely pulls significantly harder than the stock B18 did... and the old motor supposedly makes more torque than my dyno sheet is saying I'm making with the B20, if you believe Volvo's numbers.

The HSR45s are plenty driveable down low... they just can't be opened up all the way until about 3800rpm. I don't think any amount of tuning will change that. They are simply too much carb for this motor at lower RPMs. My full throttle mixture is pretty much ideal, so there isn't much I can do to get it to work well at WOT at 2500rpm apart from going with HSR42s. I don't mind. I've gotten pretty good at modulating the throttle opening for max power, and the 45s feel great at WOT at 5000rpm.

My guess is that the carbs don't have enough air going through them to make the pressure drop nessecary for proper fuel draw from the jet. That's why the stock carbs were a constant velocity design. They open only the right amount for the air that's going through them.

Back