• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

GTJordans second GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTJordan

Been here for too long
Welp, another GT, this is my second one. This one started life as an 80. Canadian market BLACK GT.

Easter of 2008 the wife and I were in Vancouver for a vacation and I started looking for a 242 for a project. Since my dad and my step dad, know a bunch of Volvo club guys since they have both been in there for YEARS I got to work calling some of thier contacts.

The day we left, I stopped and looked at a black 242 GT that the guy had used to get his SCCA license.

When we got to the car, it was covered in moss, had been sitting in the shade side of the guys apartment in the rain for 2 years or something. He assured me it ran, and that it had IPD suspension in it. Told him I would think about it.

When I got home (2800Km away) I had sort of decided that I wanted it, the guy said he would get it ready for the trip, and I started thinking about getting my brother to drive it out here. But 2 days later, I found out I was going to Vancouver for Volvo Factory training for a week. After a class of 8 Volvo techs laughed at me and gave me some phone numbers incase something happened I headed out on a 2800Km drive in a car that was last on the road in 1996, but was driven at a couple track days since then. Should also mention that the speedometer stopped working in the early 90's at 450K Km

Got it home, saftied it so I could register and insure it. Thats when the tear down started

The car is fairly rust free, the arches have some rust on them and one of the rockers has a small hole.

When I got it home
Picture+424.jpg

Started to stip it down to a rolling body
Picture+435.jpg

A little work to make it somewhat smooth
Picture+440.jpg

Then about 20 coats of white Tremclad (Rustoleum) later I had a white 242
Picture+454.jpg

But at the same time I wanted to put some goodies on there since I wanted to get into autocrossing

Picture+441.jpg

Picture+443.jpg

Picture+449.jpg

The car ended up only getting coil overs and Bilsteins installed, the wheels/tires also. But I didn't get around to putting anything else in since summer is short here and I wanted to enjoy the car. Spring rates were 250 front and 200 rear.

Also had Bens V1 camber plates. I'm not 100% happy with the design, not nearly as nice as the newer version. But I ended up with -2.2 Degrees of camber.
Front air dam is from a 93 850.

Took some pretty pictures
Picture+474.jpg

Over the winter I collected/did
Installed Sparcos
Installed True track with 3.91 rear ratio
Went to a 300lb 8" spring in the front
Installed Poly bushings
Installed IPD Torque rods
Installed IPD Panhard Rod
Stahl Header
RSI Stage 1 NA Cam
Rebuilt 405 cylinder head
Craving boost Strut braces
Timing belt and front seals
Group-A wing
A set of Dunlop Dirreza Star Spec 225-50-16s

And right now I'm just getting ready to start the car on the MegaSquirt V3 MS2-Extra.
Thats how it sits now, at work. Haven't had much time to work on it the past couple weeks due to health issues.

On the agenda for next year I hope is
I have:
16V head
B230ft bottom end
GM T5 gearbox
Wilwood rear brake stuff Hope to have the fronts also by next year

You can see where that is going. But having a wife at school trying for Med school, I guess is a good enough reason to put off my car for her (I'm thinking long term here).

I'll get more pictures/updates the way the car is sitting now this week.

Jordan

Last edited:
Hope you bring it back to it's formal self! A few mods of course :oogle:. Looks like an awesome base to work with.

Yesterday I got the car to start on the Megasquirt.

Ms is a V3 MS2. I'm running the 2.0.1 Extra code. I'm using direct coil drive with a Hall sensor for my input.

Board modifications were pretty much exactly what the MS2 assembly guide says. But I had to do 2 other things.

1- 330Ohm resistor from the S12C (12V) jumped to the TachSelect-OptoIN jump. I just made it a "T". This works as the pullup resistor for the hall sensor

2- 10Ohm resistor in the 12V line to the hall sensor. This drops the voltage down to around 5V.

It started up and ran on its own with tables that I generated using the generate table tool.

I have no cooling system in right now so I didn't let it run more than 10 seconds. Monday I should have a cooling system in.

Last night and today I've spent my time restoring the Group-A wing I have. Just cleaned it up then primed and painted. Picture later.

I'm happy it started though. Clean up the wiring, install the cooling system, install the wing, and I'm pretty much ready to go

Jordan

PS-Open header on these is LOUD

Yup I did. Turned out ok, I should have done more coats but I was short on time and had to start driving it.

Jordan

I think I did around 20 coats. I would lay 1 coat a day and I would sand after 3 coats for the most part. The ratio would start at like 60/40 mineral to paint. But often I found it to be higher than that to get the consistancy I wanted which was just a little thicker than water.

HTH

Jordan

I love the whip man.... Looks clean and mean... Plus I am becoming more and more envious of people that actually get to drive their 242's :)

haha well all the driving that has occurred this year is in and out of the shop. This weekend I'll set up the trigger angle and all that jazz, maybe go for a boot and see what I can get out of it for tuning. Just super sick right now and work is SWAMPED.

You still haven't got the MS working right Ben?

Jordan

Not quite yet... I have a set of LS1 coils like POIK is running that just came in hot off the ebay today... I have been sick and catching up with things that got put off from the big push on the car a couple weeks ago... But hopefully things work out to try to start it again on friday once I get these babies wired up. Turns out my trigger angle was a bit off as the spot where I thought I had welded the trigger wheel on, and where it actually was for TDC, were about 25* off... Whoops, my bad!

Hope you feel better man, it sucks feeling crappy when the weather is actually starting to get nice! We'll have to get together sometime this summer so we can get pictures of the dueling black/white 242's (with variations of 850 bumpers on them)

I'd love to meet up but I moved to the DEAD CENTER of Canada. But I will be out in BC in July, I'll try and make it down, or maybe you can make it up to Van. Convince those peeps to have a get-together.

Are you running a V3 MS2? I know on my board I can do a coil output test, can you do the same?

Jordan

I'm running v2.2 MS1, so I don't have the onboard coil drivers; I'm not familiar with the differences with MS2, but I'm not aware of a coil output test. Van meet up in July would be sweet, we should definitely put one together!

Glad to see you finally made a project thread!
Excellent plan on taking things slow and supporting the wife, best thing you coud do as a husband. I know its hard, I was in the same situation; but just think of how much extra play $$$ you'll have when she's done :)
the car looks great!

Spent the day at work playing with the car.

Mounted and Balanced the Dunlops
Installed electric fan wiring.
Made sure I had no leaks.
Attempted but failed to set up the trigger angle.
Mounted Strut brace

And gave it a bath since it has been sitting 8 months and 2 of those its been pushed in and out by greasy hands.

Pictures

Sparco's mounted
Picture+498.jpg

Suspension at lowest setting. Perch almost touching the tire. Unfortunately I'm pretty much on the bump stops. I'll have to get shorter struts.

Picture+501.jpg

New Rubber Dunlop Dirrezza Star Specs Z1. 225-50-16's.

Picture+502.jpg

Old Falken 512's VS Dunlops
Picture+503.jpg

Group-A wing ready for mounting looking all sexy on the sexy tires
Picture+504.jpg

Strut brace in. This is the biggest frustration of the day. The braces to the firewall do not fit because the studs on Bens V1 camber plates are thicker than the stock ones. So they use a 14mm nut instead of the stock 13mm nut. And even a thin walled 14mm socket will not fit down the little holes that the braces have.
Picture+505.jpg

Cleaned up and in the sun
Picture+507.jpg

Picture+509.jpg

Clearance between tire and fender in the front. At same turned position as first couple pictures

Picture+510.jpg

This week sort out trigger angle, wire in wideband, and then hopefully start tuning.

Jordan

Today I set up the trigger angle. Got the wife out there with me. Runs pretty nice now.
Also cut out a template for mounting the group-a wing

Still to do
Adjust rear suspension a bit more
Install wideband
raise front a bit
alignment
Mount the wing

So hopefully its slow this week, and I can work on it during the day rather than afterwork when I'm tired of working on cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back