home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Default The Smurf Replacement - 1983 244 GLT(Updated with working pics!)

With the Smurf gone, the GT project not even started, and me trying to sell the S60, I needed to get another car ready so I can do some work on the wagon.
I found on Craigslists a none running 1983 244 GLT manual with 250k miles on it for $250. The PO brought it from a retired Volvo tech in '99 who kept it well maintain. In 2002, it would not pass emission so the owner didn't think it was worth fixen so it just used it to drive around on the farm. After a year or 2, it stop running so he parked it and after he got tired of his wife nagging to sell it, he put it up on Craigslist.
I went and looked at and it looked like to be a very clean, no body damage or major rust, and maybe not much was needed to get it back on the road. I brought for $150 and took it home that day.

As I figured, the pumps were dead and fuel dist. was stuck, so I empty the gas tank, put on some new pumps and freed up the fuel dist. Though in a fresh battery and gas and to my amazement, it fired right on up:, and after some adjustments, it was drivable. After only putting less then 200 miles on it, the alternator belt broke and the rad. split all to hell and this was the start of a seeming never ending nightmare.
I thought I would just be able to slap on some belts and a rad. but that would be the case. The adjustment bolt was rusted and seized to the alternator so I had to put on a spare 940 100 amp alternator in place and it was a really tight fit. When I go to started it, it wouldn't start, I had spark but no fuel. I thought maybe the CPR was bad because there was not much fuel coming out but guess again.
After a few days of bad words and tool trowing, I found out the new pumps were dead and was the weekend so I decided to go ahead and change the interior aver to black with some 850 seats and install a booming stereo system.
This post is getting kinda long so I will couture it later until then here are some more pictures if I can pbase to work right.

Adam
1994 965: Parted out, PM with needed parts
1983 244 GLT: Factory/dealer turbo and intercooler, black on black, B21F intake, 850 seats, Voxx 17x8 MG, B&G springs, HD's, NPR, M46etc.
1979 242 GT: Project

Last edited by smurf244; 06-18-2009 at 07:11 PM..
smurf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Chris_R
Kickin' rocks in sandals

The car was dead so you put a new interior and system in it? Only you Adam!

What happened to the Smurf? What work are you doing to the 940?
1995 964 (Silver)
1992 944Ti (White)
1996 965 (Burgundy) - Scrap
1994 945 Ti (Black) - Sirius Black Scrap
1992 944 GL (Black) - Killed by drunk driver
1988 745Ti (Silver) - Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrickMan View Post
Long story short I found out she's a squirter.
Chris_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
740ATL

How many of the cars we +T'd that fateful weekend are still running?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_R View Post
The car was dead so you put a new interior and system in it? Only you Adam!

What happened to the Smurf? What work are you doing to the 940?
I was board and it didn't have a system and the interior was shot.
The Smurf had a carport collapse on it when to much snow built up on it.
The 940 needs the whole brake system redone and fix a few oil leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740ATL View Post
How many of the cars we +T'd that fateful weekend are still running?
The car was still running great when the engine was pulled; only problem was it kept popping transmissions.

Adam
Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
smurf244
The smurf is no more

I see that my pictures are not showing up, I think I am going to give up on pbase. I have tried many different things and still nothing.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Chris_R
Kickin' rocks in sandals

photobucket.com
Chris_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Now I have the picture thing fixed, its time to some updating.
After the pumps went dead, I went ahead and striped the interior where I found some car cancer thanks to a stopped up sunroof drain.

The rust is from the front of the back floor pan to the firewall on the driver side. It really is that bad so I just cleaned it up and sealed it. I will take the pan out of the smurf and put it in this one.
I sprayed the rest of the floor pans with sound deader/undercoating with the hopes of covering it later with dynomat after the rust repair but I did put dynomat everyelse. After wiring in the alarm/keyless entry and running the wires for the stereo system, I throw in the black caret from the 262 that was junked.
I didn't have any black 244 door panels so I painted tan ones and some of the other plastic and vinyl pieces.

I couldn't do all that interior work and just throw in some uncomfortable and ugly 240 seats. I had Wren Wright weld me up some seat brackets to fit some 850 seats and used the recovered rear sets I had for the Smurf. The seats are move back and forward with the 240 tracks and the seat bottom tilt is fixed but the back is still electric.

By this time I had the pumps installed and was getting fuel to the injectors but the intake was still off. I just couldn't stand to put that noneffective B21FT manifold back on and it didn't make any sense to spend the money on a custom one so bring in the B21F manifold.

It went together with out much problem; I have a lot of intercooler plumbing parts so I was able to come up with a combo that worked. I used the B21 TB and the B21FT idle motor which sits under the #2 runner and with a few vacuum T's, got all the vacuum lines hooked up.
With the new setup the throttle and boost was a little quicker and it pulls a lot harder around 3000 and up. I have a lot more planned for this car and will try to keep this thread updated so until next time, let me here your comments and ideas.

Adam
Old 07-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
smurf244
The smurf is no more

A little up date:
I did the terminal 11 trick and have set the boost to 15 lbs. The boost switch is set to 11 lbs. and have wired in a led to make sure the switch is working. I will post some pictures of the install probably tomorrow.
The clutch needs to be replaced even more now then before but I am still trying to decide if I want to keep the M46 or change it out. If I keep the M46, I will throw in a stepped flywheel with either a new factory HD clutch kit or some aftermarket kit. The M46 is in excellent conduction and I could save it and put in a T5 or something along the lines.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #9
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

I think I'd stick with the flat flywheel, and get a Centerforce, or other performance clutch. Never really liked the dog dish that was on my 245's original motor, so I left the flattie that was on the B23FT when it was in my 242, and mated the 245's tranny to it.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 245GT-Turbo View Post
I think I'd stick with the flat flywheel, and get a Centerforce, or other performance clutch. Never really liked the dog dish that was on my 245's original motor, so I left the flattie that was on the B23FT when it was in my 242, and mated the 245's tranny to it.

-J
The only resone I thought about going with the dog dish flywheel was because it uses a larger clutch disk but I could save it for GT for the T5.

Why did you not like the dog dish?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

Probably because it's rotating mass is so much more. Weighs tons more, meaning it takes more to rev it.
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

its also more difficult getting a good clutch. stay with the flat if you can.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
doucheNozzle

Stay flat!

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #14
smurf244
The smurf is no more

A little update with pictures.
As I said earlier, I did the terminal 11 trick with the boost turned up shorting the fuse on the M46. This trick has made the car even more fun to drive and would recommend it; the car starts to pull like crazy around 3k.
Here are the promised pictures:
Calibration the TB way.

The switch part number and such.

Switch installed in the passenger kick panel.

After I been enjoying the mods, I was coming home from a late night and the car starting bogging and the lights went dim. I pulled over and check the voltage only to find I had only 10.7 volts. Long story sort, the voltage regulator was bad partially due to a leaking water pump witch made my day even more sh*tier esp. when I pulled the timing cover off; I found that the day was gonna get worse thanks to leaking seals.
After finding out all this, I decided to go ahead and do more provenience maintenance I got an idea, put in the IPD cam for the GT and redo the valve cover.
Here is was I saw when I pulled the valve cover off.

Its prety damn clean for over 252k

That is it for now but will get some more updates soon cause I gotta get the car ready for SE

Adam

Last edited by smurf244; 09-10-2009 at 09:24 PM..
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Here are some pictures of the MBC setup.
On my MBC, the top hose goes down to the waste gate and the bottom hose comes from the intake to get teed of to the MBC and the + valve.
Overview setup

Here is the vacuum line teed off.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
doucheNozzle

Are you using the overboost switch and the mbc?
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #17
stick70
All the gauges

good luck with the rust! i have the same problem for the same reason, though thankfully mine isnt that bad.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
Are you using the overboost switch and the mbc?
Yes, that how I am able to get enough boot to activate the switch.
I am also still using the factory turbo+ switch so I get more fuel when its starts boosting then when 11lbs hit, the switch I added dumps in more fuel.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
good luck with the rust! i have the same problem for the same reason, though thankfully mine isnt that bad.
It not to bad, I have seen worse but thinkfully I have the Smurf that I can use the floor pans.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
morganpartee
Board Member

Just saw you're running the exact MBC I am- Ebay special!

Do you see reaaally bad spikes? Mine will hit near 16 some days before settling to 12.

2011 Ford Ranger
1997 Miata, Supercharged
2002 Suzuki DRZ-400S
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
morganpartee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #21
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Here is a little update on whats been happening to this project.
I had a problem with a water leak and it was from the water pipe that goes to the heater core so I had to pull off the turbo which gave me a chance to put in a 90+ manifold. I also put in a custom 2 1/4 inch down pipe and installed a wide band.

Sense I had to order parts for turbo and water pump and the front bushings were a little worn out; I put in the boxed in control arms with almost new rubber bushing in and put in new inner and out tie rods and a set of 25/25 sway bars. I will post pics of it next time I jack the front end up.
While I was at it, I put in a e-fan and decided to put the Voxx on planed for the Smurf. I plan to refinish the Virgos with some to rubber on them and use them on the car.

The next plan is to attack the transmission by putting in a T5 or a Getrag and install a cherry bomb glass pack with a rear muffler delete. Also on plan is to put the rear diff with the boxed in trailing arms and new bushings in from the Smurf; then I will attack the brakes.
Also, here is a picture of the custom sound system I built and installed in the trunk.

Adam
Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
slow240
Home Schooled

wow, you do work! Nice car man, I diggit I almost had a black 244t non-intercooled for $500 but it was the middle of the schoolyear and I was broke :/
Good work man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, b230ft/aw71, 16t.
'89 780. Fine Corinthian leather.
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #23
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganpartee View Post
Just saw you're running the exact MBC I am- Ebay special!

Do you see reaaally bad spikes? Mine will hit near 16 some days before settling to 12.
I don't have any issues with boost spikes but when I first got it, I had to put in a stiffer spring because it let me set the boost past 9 psi. Try replacing the spring in it and see if that fixes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
wow, you do work! Nice car man, I diggit I almost had a black 244t non-intercooled for $500 but it was the middle of the schoolyear and I was broke :/
Good work man.
Thanks. There is just something about a black on black 240 that make me all wet inside.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #24
smurf244
The smurf is no more

Here is the turbo off the GLT and the one from the Smurf.

Here is the GLT turbo and the turbo from the Smurf with the heat shield and bracket from the GLT turbo.
Here are some more pictures of the things that are installed already.

This is just a temporary solution; I will probably remove once everything is tuned.

Body roll at a minimum.

Here are some pictures of some thing going onto the car.

These have new rubber bushing in them and they are installed on a axle with a G80 from the Smurf.

The Cherry Bomb and a 4' pipe for the muffle delete.

This thing is tiny; its going to make some nice power and no I don't care how loud its going to be.

These parts are for replacing the Teflon fuel feed line from the accumulator to the filter.

Now I just need to find time to put on some of these goodies in between moving and finding work.

Adam
Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #25
smurf244
The smurf is no more

With me moving all of projects have been put on hold but I did manage to get the rear muffler delete and the glass pack installed, sort of. I will get some pictures up when I get the final details done. I also took the tip from the GT and painted it sliver and installed it.
I need to get it fished up so I can take the 945 off the road to do a T-Belt and trans swap and get the the 965 parted out.

Adam