home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #1
volvo9
Board Member

Default Got my T5 in!

I went and picked up my transmission today, loaded it into the back of the wagon and then got lost in RI, I hate driving down there, i always got lost!

Here are some pictures, one question I have though, the jegs site where I bought this thing said it was a super duty T5, this thing says TREMEC on it, is it the same thing? It's got a 10 spline input shaft the I took a picture of the output shaft, I didn't count though. I think this will work, the jegs site said that no modifications where needed to install this thing into a mustang, so it must be the same. I do know that it's strengthened though, because the torque specs are 330 ft lbs.

It's a noticable lighter than the M47 I pulled from a car the other day. The M47 strained my back, and this was no problem to pick up I can't wait to get it in! Sorry for any bad typing, I'm all jittery, I need to eat really bad!
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
milkrocks
Board Member

You probably did in fact buy a Tremec. They make arguably the best T5 Upgrade out there. That should fit perfectly and be a ton stronger than almost any T5 out there. Plenty strong for almost any turbo red block out there!

Christian
Old 05-05-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
tommbarton
teh sehxxy

How much did you pay for it?
tommbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Board Member

I think that Tremec bought out Borg Warner or maybe just the T5 rights a couple of years ago and now makes the T5 as well as the stronger 3550 that looks a little different. At least you have a very new one and it is one of the strongest if not the strongest of the T5 family.

Philip Bradley
pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
volvo9
Board Member

milkrocks: thanks for the reply, I wanted a 2nd opinion on wether or not it was the same, I was just confused by the tremec logo.

The transmission was 1207.07 shipped from Jegs, If it wasn't for doug showing the link to me I'd have a transmission from a junker sitting here now and who knows if it would be any good or not.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
volvo944ti
Board Member

hey i live in dartmouth. think its possible for me to swing by with my camaro t5 tail housing. i wanna see how different teh tail housigs are. see if it looks like it will bolt onto teh mustange t5. fi ti will it migh tbe popssible with just swapping the internal shifter linkage to a gm one that teh mustange t5(more plentifule) might be able to have the shifter puished back. think teh best way to do this is compare them in person. and having a tranny out of a car is so much easier
volvo944ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
MattP
Board Member

Send an email to www.5speeds.com. They will tell you pretty quickly whether one will fit on the other.

Matt
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:43 PM   #8
volvo944ti
Board Member

yeah but what if its physically the same but has a slightly different bolt pattern. like closer or more spread out. just like the bellhousings have a different bolt pattern. just a thought.
volvo944ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
volvo9
Board Member

volvo944ti: Sure you can stop by. Just send me a PM or better yet talk to me on aim: rc andrew9
Old 05-05-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

Ummmm, the volvo input splines are 23 tooth.... But maybe all the T5's are 10 spline and you guys just have a way of making it work, I haven't looked into the swap much at all so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

And 330ft/lbs isn't quite adequate for "almost any turbo redblock out there" cause Linuxman51 dynoed in at 293ft/lbs with room for more on his F+T MSS 740.

Anyways, I'm not at all trying to rain on your parade, just wondering about some things, that's all. That's a sweet looking transmission!! I'm sure it'll be a hell of a lot nicer than the M46/7's are. I keep reading how much all these T5 guys love their tranny's.
John
The Aspirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:28 PM   #11
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

John.

I like you.

but do a search ;)

I DOUBT that our 330ft/lbs is ANYTHING like what a V8 mustangs is. They have instant torque... we have torque on demand and when the motor is ready for it. Case in point, if anyone is giving a durability test of a T5 I AM and I've yet to experience any issues. Even powershifting and chirping the 4th gear shift.

Volvo9, your going to love it! Whats the 5th gear? Im assuming its the .62 or what not. Thats the only draw back to the newer T5's as that 5th gear is REALLY tall. Dont attempt to get into it until your atleast doing 65 ;)
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #12
isaac
F*ck the police

As a man in search of a T-5 myself, I'm really having a hard time finding a drawback to a very tall 5th gear when you have 4 other gears to play with till over 100mph. I don't know about yall, but I don't tend to get into many races that start at a hundred and one.
"If you, the citizen, deliberately vote for someone who won't give you health care over someone who will, you need to have your head examined, except you can't afford to have your head examined." - Bill Maher
1998 Volvo V70T5
1989 Volvo 244DL
1990 BMW 52(3)5i
and Matt Dionne still rides with me
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:45 PM   #13
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac
As a man in search of a T-5 myself, I'm really having a hard time finding a drawback to a very tall 5th gear when you have 4 other gears to play with till over 100mph. I don't know about yall, but I don't tend to get into many races that start at a hundred and one.
ahh true, but Im comparing to the earlier .72 5th gear (like mine). I think mine is perfect!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:36 PM   #14
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

I would think that the taller 5th would be great for highway driving. It would keep your revs below 3000 at 70+.

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #15
Greg Wong
Board Member

Very nice, that's exactly what I've got in my V8 Volvo. It says Tremec because the T-5 is now made by Tremec, or TTC. But it is definitely not the transmission that people mean when they say, "I got me a Tremec". It kind of confused me, too, the first time I saw it.

Where did you pick it up from in RI? A truck depot I'm guessing?

If you did find that the .63 5th gear were too tall, D&D sells a gear kit that you can use to make it .73 instead, and you'd still have the World Class torque capacity.
http://ddperformance.com/t5_parts__upgrades.htm

On another note, the "Tremec" or TR3550 and the TKO version are being replaced by stronger units called the TKO-500 and TKO-600. They have the same dimensions as the original Tremec, which is slightly larger and heavier than the T-5. The TKO-600 will take 600 lb-ft of torque! Now that would be some peace of mind, eh? I'd bet they could be adapted to the redblock without much more work than the T-5 trans.

Too bad they don't shift quite as sweet as a T-5. But what the heck do you expect from something funneling that much torque! I'd learn to live with it. The TKO boxes must not shift too bad, though, I was once in the passenger seat for a WOT blast in a friend's car, he has a TKO in his V8 Volvo, and it looked like he was simply flicking his wrist, those shifts were fast!

Greg
Greg Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:46 AM   #16
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3
I would think that the taller 5th would be great for highway driving. It would keep your revs below 3000 at 70+.

I wish you guys would listen to me:

3.91 gears, 235/45/17's, .72 5th, 2500 rpm @ 70 mph. 2800 @ ~80mph.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:55 AM   #17
volvo9
Board Member

Doug:

I think it does have the taller 5th gear. That is pretty tall, the only thing I'd be worried about is if my engine would have the torque to pull the car along on a slightly inclined highway in 5th without using the turbo all the time.

DOES ANYONE KNOW
if john parker at v-performance is out of town still? I can't get in touch with him, I've emailed and called, no answer. I need parts from him!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #18
Turborg
Board Member

I like a lot of other guys did not have my speedometer ready to go when the trans was installed. I used an expandable freezeplug to seal the hole. Oil will come out or the hole! The point I wanted to make was with the .63 overdrive my T-5z has, the car runs really good at 2600 rpm. But the car is running 80 mph! The car is so quiet you do not realize how fast you are going. I do not drive my car in fifth much yet as I don't want to lug my new engine. Do not expect much acceleration in fifth.
Turborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #19
James Dillon
Board Member

This tall gear discussion is priceless, thanks Doug. 2800 rpms @ 80 mph is perfect. I am curious what difference the rear end makes. I currently have an 83 242Ti with the AW71 and often wondered if the T5 gearing would require the M46 rear end. It would be interesting to hear about the two tranny-rear end combinations and driveability.
James Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:15 AM   #20
Boosted2003
Board Member

[QUOTE=Snoop Dougy Doug]
I DOUBT that our 330ft/lbs is ANYTHING like what a V8 mustangs is. They have instant torque... we have torque on demand and when the motor is ready for it. QUOTE]

Thats what im thinking.
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 - Sold
1990 Volvo 760 Turbo - Sold
Boosted2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:15 AM   #21
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dillon
This tall gear discussion is priceless, thanks Doug. 2800 rpms @ 80 mph is perfect. I am curious what difference the rear end makes. I currently have an 83 242Ti with the AW71 and often wondered if the T5 gearing would require the M46 rear end. It would be interesting to hear about the two tranny-rear end combinations and driveability.
No, stay with the 3.91's. Either model T5's 5th gear will let you run the steeper gearing with out hassle on the freeway.

I'd be almost tempted to run 4.10's or something slightly steeper
Old 05-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #22
volvo9
Board Member

How do you figure out your rpm's at a certain speed?

say I do have .62 5th gear.
my rear end is a 3.73
and my tires are 205/55/16
Old 05-06-2004, 02:01 PM   #23
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Dougy Doug
John.

I like you.

but do a search ;)

Thanks man, I just wasn't dying to know the answer, and I was lazy. Hummm, how many times has Towery told you to search?? Hehehe, just kidding.

Damnit, now that I actually took the time to think about it, it's only the clutch that cares about how many splines there are. Ugh, I had a brain fart when I first posted and quickly thought that the whole input shaft goes into the crank. And I've done 3 manual tranny swaps!! Okay okay, I get it now, feelin kinda stupid too! I'm sure it uses the same pilot bearing as the volvo ones do eh?

Actually with all this talk I'm starting to think about doing the T5 also.... I just know that my M46 will self destruct sooner or later, once I actually get the boost past 8psi. When that time comes, you know I'll do lots of searching.

John
The Aspirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:42 PM   #24
coondog240
Homing Pigeon

I just purchased a new main cluster and 3rd speed gear for my T5 and they are ttc Tremec parts, does this mean that my tranny will be rated at 330ft.lbs now?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #25
jpbturbo
Mens Classic Fit Polo

I don't think I would mind the tall 5th gear that much.

With my aw70 and the .69 overdrive I was already at about 5200rpm and I was only doing a little over 120.

If you have the tourque to push it then it should be fine.
And it's nice on your gas milage to be able to keep your rev's down.

Peace,
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon
My kia is best kia appliance so cheap.. Oh ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac
Ur A LIAR u dident maek 28 psi BOOURNZ!
jpbturbo is offline   Reply With Quote