home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 09-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Jerd
Board Member

Default Oil restrictor plate for turbos

Im confused... When you buy an oil feed plate for a t3 type turbo they come with this tiny ass little hole and a -4 an feed. Supposedly this is to keep the pressure down in the bearing and is meant to make your turbo last longer and not burn oil. "flow not pressure"

I have seen so many people feed oil lines strait into the turbo with a 1/8" npt an fitting. And i myself bought the plate and laughed at the stupid hole. I drilled it out. Now im thinking not such a good idea.

Now that i have done a little reading about it, and concerned about drilling mine out i did some searching.

I stumbled upon a short conversation on vwvortex about how ebay turbos are splendid and work amazing ONLY IF YOU RUN A OIL RESTRICTOR PLATE.

Got me thinking.... There are people who get ebay turbos and go through 3 of them and they are all ****. Then there are people who buy one and they last 50k or more.

Are the people who are forced to try more than one, not running a restrictor plate? and the people who buy one, are they running a restrictor plate???

Is this the key to ebay turbo success? Do i need to get another restrictor plate and NOT drill it out??? I have noticed oil in my intercooler pipes but i figured it was from the pcv. My turbo is an AiResearch 63/42 t3 and i dont want to kill it. And im interested in upgrading to a .50 trim ebay turbo and dont want to kill it either.

This is the restrictor im talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T3...=p4506.c0.m245

EDIT: more oil restriction products.

CI motorsports

More here...
http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/home.php?cat=383

Last edited by Jerd; 09-21-2009 at 01:57 AM..
Jerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
maxman142001
I like turtles

Does my turbo require an oil restrictor?
Oil requirements depend on the turbo's bearing system type. Garrett has two types of bearing systems; traditional journal bearing; and ball bearing.

The journal bearing system in a turbo functions very similarly to the rod or crank bearings in an engine. These bearings require enough oil pressure to keep the components separated by a hydrodynamic film. If the oil pressure is too low, the metal components will come in contact causing premature wear and ultimately failure. If the oil pressure is too high, leakage may occur from the turbocharger seals. With that as background, an oil restrictor is generally not needed for a journal-bearing turbocharger except for those applications with oil-pressure-induced seal leakage. Remember to address all other potential causes of leakage first (e.g., inadequate/improper oil drain out of the turbocharger, excessive crankcase pressure, turbocharger past its useful service life, etc.) and use a restrictor as a last resort. Garrett distributors can tell you the recommended range of acceptable oil pressures for your particular turbo. Restrictor size will always depend on how much oil pressure your engine is generating-there is no single restrictor size suited for all engines.

Ball-bearing turbochargers can benefit from the addition of an oil restrictor, as most engines deliver more pressure than a ball bearing turbo requires. The benefit is seen in improved boost response due to less windage of oil in the bearing. In addition, lower oil flow further reduces the risk of oil leakage compared to journal-bearing turbochargers. Oil pressure entering a ball-bearing turbocharger needs to be between 40 psi and 45 psi at the maximum engine operating speed. For many common passenger vehicle engines, this generally translates into a restrictor with a minimum of 0.040" diameter orifice upstream of the oil inlet on the turbocharger center section. Again, it is imperative that the restrictor be sized according to the oil pressure characteristics of the engine to which the turbo is attached. Always verify that the appropriate oil pressure is reaching the turbo.

The use of an oil restrictor can (but not always) help ensure that you have the proper oil flow/pressure entering the turbocharger, as well as extract the maximum performance.

-2011 VW GTi
maxman142001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
sdturbo
Board Member

No, my ebay turbo is fed with a -3 line and has put up with some abuse. The drain is more important than the feed imho. I think the ebay turbos get a bad rap because people who have no clue buy/install them improperly.
97 Land Rover Discovery (Volvo D24T swap)
65 Mini Cooper (B16 powered)
www.yoshifab.com Volvo performance parts.
(760)468-7002
sdturbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
Jerd
Board Member

Oh... well now i just feel stupid.

will a factory t3 flange drain tube with some 5/8th hose on it suffice?

And im running -4 as a feed.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
Jerd
Board Member

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4084119

And i quote
Quote:
Parts you need to make the EBayer last

-Oil restrictor(A MUST)
Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
sdturbo
Board Member

Well im not telling stories, my ebay turbo is still alive and i have no restrictor. My oil return line is -10 AN.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
tryingbe
Turbo & Parts Supplier

I don't know about the eBay specials, but the Garrett T25, T3, Mitsubishi TD04, and the TD04-HL has built in restrictor inside the center bearing housing. DO NOT use a oil restrictor on those.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
Jerd
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
I don't know about the eBay specials, but the Garrett T25, T3, Mitsubishi TD04, and the TD04-HL has built in restrictor inside the center bearing housing. DO NOT use a oil restrictor on those.
Oh sweet so my turbo already has one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdturbo View Post
Well im not telling stories, my ebay turbo is still alive and i have no restrictor. My oil return line is -10 AN.
Oh i know, and you beat the **** out of yours. Im fallowing your build close because i would love to see how long it lasts.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 AM   #9
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoSporter View Post
Requiring the use of a turbo timer removed all credibility from that entire post.

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S @ 18 psi | Close ratio T10 trans | 3.31 8.8" rear end
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 AM   #10
Jerd
Board Member

true, he does kinda seem unknowledgeable not to mention it is vwvortex.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 AM   #11
the poi
Chasing checkpoints

the journal bearings require oil pressure, restrictors reduce oil pressure. no restrictor! ****s crazy.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 AM   #12
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Volvo used T3 , TD04 and TD05 based turbos for about, what, 20 years with no restrictors on the oil feed lines?

They last 100,000 miles easy. What does that tell you?

-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
Jerd
Board Member

it tells me that restrictors are stupid.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

A restrictor on a journal bearing turbo can reduce spool time. You're obviously reducing the oil volume in the center section, so turbo life may or may not be impacted. I think datalogging boost onset with some different restrictor orifice sizes is worth trying, just to see how much you can actually pick up.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
AnthonyH
Board Member

I remember when I busted my turbo.
I used to use a rb20det ball bearing turbo, then I swapped to one from a vg30det journal bearing.
I used to old rb20det banjo fitting. (During aseembly, I didn't realize it had a restrictor orific hole built-in, tiny hole) and after about 3 months, the turbo died. Look back, realized the journal turbo had a full sized hole. (But I didn't worry too much, rb25 or vg units are 30-40bucks from the jap wreckers.)

Now I have full hole... 2 years past and the turbo is still as good as day 1.
164 '70- B6244+hx40
245GL'83, 1jz-gte
244GLT '84, b230+t gt37
940estate '93, 1uz+T51rKAI
V70 T5 '05, pretty much stock.
AnthonyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
Volvo used T3 , TD04 and TD05 based turbos for about, what, 20 years with no restrictors on the oil feed lines?
TDO4-HL turbos actually have a restrictor built into the oilfeed on the turbo body.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
24DinCT
Don Juan De La Nooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
TDO4-HL turbos actually have a restrictor built into the oilfeed on the turbo body.
So do most...if not all Garrett BB GT series turbos IIRC. There's one built into/threaded into the body of my GT35R. But I'm still going to run another. Oil pressure in our redblocks doesn't usually get up too high so there's really no need to run a restrictor if it's not necessary on a journal bearing. If say you're making on an average 80-100 psi oil pressure you definitely wanna run a restrictor so the seals stay happy. 40-50 no need on JB...might still want one on a BB though.
Originally Posted by blackbrick82 View Post
It's all about the beer.
Quote:
how come everytime i in the kitchen, you in the kitchen, in the god damn refridgerator
Buy my partz...here
Feedback...here
24DinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
sdturbo
Board Member

Quote:
true, he does kinda seem unknowledgeable not to mention it is vwvortex.
What? You can't believe everything read on a internet car forum? Whats the world coming to?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
evolwun
Board Member

Are factory Volvo turbos JB or BB? (I am still learning this stuff) I upgraded my feed line and installed one of the AN plates onto the turbo (factory Garrett T3). I drilled out the hole thinking, "why would I want to restrict oil flow?" But now I am wondering if I made the wrong choice.
evolwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolwun View Post
Are factory Volvo turbos JB or BB? (I am still learning this stuff) I upgraded my feed line and installed one of the AN plates onto the turbo (factory Garrett T3). I drilled out the hole thinking, "why would I want to restrict oil flow?" But now I am wondering if I made the wrong choice.
journal bearing.
blkaplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
evolwun
Board Member

Quote:
journal bearing.
Ok, thanks. I ask because I am running a 4an line from my oil sender port to feed the turbo with no restrictor. When the car is under boost and the oil pressure is over 60 psi, I get some oil-smoke out the exhaust. I am wondering if there is too much oil in the turbo, or if the seals are going bad.
evolwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #22
pwschuh
Rolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24DinCT View Post
So do most...if not all Garrett BB GT series turbos IIRC. There's one built into/threaded into the body of my GT35R.
Not on my GT30R, there isn't. I forgot to install a restrictor once after removing turbo for some reason and then when it was all back together it was pushing oil past the seals into both the compressor and turbine.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #23
24DinCT
Don Juan De La Nooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwschuh View Post
Not on my GT30R, there isn't. I forgot to install a restrictor once after removing turbo for some reason and then when it was all back together it was pushing oil past the seals into both the compressor and turbine.
If you look down into the oil feed hole on mine...you can see something that's been threaded down into the feed hole. It's a resrtictor that sits deep...almost at the CHRA...but it doesn't have a tiny feed hole...it's rather large actually. Not much of a step down from the actual threads themselves. I'd take a pic to show but it's bolted to my motor right now.
24DinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #24
the poi
Chasing checkpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24DinCT View Post
...If say you're making on an average 80-100 psi oil pressure you definitely wanna run a restrictor so the seals stay happy....
the "seals" in turbos consist of, usually in our case, a carbon seal up front that prevents the intake vacuum from pulling oil mist into the intake, and a piston ring seal in the back the prevents exhaust gas from pressurizing the crankcase. That's what the seals do. They do not hold any oil pressure. Oil pressure inside the center section is 0 psi. Oil pressurizes the bearings at engine oil pressure, and once it squirts past the bearings, it collect in the center section and drains via gravity out the bottom.

If standard or raised oil pressure results in oil being pumped out the back of the turbo, it means your oil drain is insufficient, or your bearings are so badly worn that the bearing gap is very large which requires a huge amount of volume to maintain pressure, and again, this overwhelms the drain capacity of the oil drain. A oil restrictor on a journal bearing turbo is usually a kludge--people use them when their badly designed or broken turbo oiling system is pumping oil out of the center section, notice the blue smoke goes away, and think they've fixed it. They've simply reduced oil flow through the turbo by starving the bearings. Not like sound logic will stop anyone from pointing out that running no restrictor results in lots of blue smoke and hoo-boy thats a blown turbo!
the poi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #25
Mtouring_Tuff*typing
Board Member

Quote:
Oh... well now i just feel stupid.
Or you can go to home depot and get a bass fitting if its really needed.

//Eurodesignmk.com //Eurodesign-Myspace //Eurodesign-Twitter

Stefan@EurodesignMK.com
Денес над Македонија
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
YOU need a ban for abuse of power.
Mtouring_Tuff*typing is offline   Reply With Quote