• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

bosch "044" fuel pump fitment

turbo740

Does anyone know how well this pump fits as a replacement main pump(under car) on a 1988 760 turbo? I've tried looking at stock fuel pump pics and comparing with this pump, just not sure if it's going to be close to a direct fit or if it's going to take several modifications to fit. Does anyone know if it will fit directly into the bracket and will the lines bolt up? thanks guys

Yeah...well, mine just quit and of course I'm not going to put a stock one in...but I don't really want another project right now. So you think it will fit in the stock location?

Also, just went out and looked at the old fuel pump on the car and the rubber fuel hose feeding the rear of the pump is not going to come off in one piece!! Anyone know what size that is off hand? Looks like 15mm or so

You can look at the old pump all you want, but you're gonna need to know thread sizes on the pressure side of the pump.. If I recall correctly theres two sizes Volvo used. one is coarse thread and the other is fine. Just collect a bunch of old pumps and fittings and you wont have too much hassle installing it. My walbro went in pretty easily under the car, but it was pretty narrow in comparison to the stock non turbo 240 pump. I've never compared sizes of the 044 and the stock stuff.. and all the stock pumps are different depending on who's worked on the car and what car it is.

Thanks guys...well one the pressure side there is a check valve that is threaded onto the pump and this is what the line attatches to. So are you saying that Volvo may have used different check valves...possibly with different threads? My issue is I don't have a "bunch of old pumps" hanging around and there really aren't any good pull a part boneyards locally. The image of the 044 pump I was looking at seemed to have a check valve on the front of it as well...whether or not it's the same I don't know!

thread sizes are 12 on one side and 14 on the other iirc. Also its a bit bigger than the oem pump, beer can sized +-

You'll want to upgrade the wiring as well, and the check valve isn't built into the pump like it is on the oem one (well... I think its built in to the oem pump. its been a long time since I've fooled with one). Ask hockey930 what all he did with his, he should have a list of what you need and what you'll encounter.

They came on early gray market 911 turbos.

Inlet is 18x1.5
Outlet is 12.1.5

They are larger diameter than stock Volvo pumps, They are not direct replacements. They do have check valves in them.

Also, just went out and looked at the old fuel pump on the car and the rubber fuel hose feeding the rear of the pump is not going to come off in one piece!! Anyone know what size that is off hand? Looks like 15mm or so

The tank to pump hose should be 12mm.
Dave B

Well after a day of researching and all of your help...I think I am going to try the simplest route(thanks to JW240 for the 2 threads). Thinking about snipping off the hard plastic heat shrunk fuel line right at the banjo on the fuel filter side, and locating a M12x1.5 banjo with barbed end for use on the new pump's check valve(requiring banjo to use properly) and a m12x1.5 threaded cap for this banjo connection, then using snug fitting rubber fuel line and quality clamps to complete the connection!! oh and a
M18x1.5 barbed end fitting for the inlet side....Someone said that this M12x1.5 banjo and cap assembly can be had from a 240t fuel pump/filter setup??? does anyone have this and want to part with it. I really need it!! Because I'm having a lot of trouble locating a new M12x1.5 banjo and cap online. Thanks again guys, this has been a great help!!

two is better than one:
116745372.jpg

(never mind the ghetto, they're mounted via a T1 dual 044 bracket now, that was litterally just for fitment and finishing the plumbing)

Yeah 2 is better than one....but that's for goals that I will never meet. thanks for the website too. I will probably end up using them.

got mine from titan motorsports, one of the lower priced genuine pump sources. bout 180 or so appiece iirc.

Back