• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Twin-turbo T6 in RWD?

Freq

So I recently found uot that the 960 came with an I6 whiteblock motor. Also, I remember reading that Volvo had made a twin-turbo I6, but I believe that was on a FWD/AWD car. So my questions are:
1) Are the FWD and RWD whiteblocks the same?
2) Could I bolt the TT from an FWD/AWD model and run it on the RWD setup?
2.5) Would that require reclocking the turbos?
3) Compared to doing the 1J swap how hard would a whiteblock swap be, assuming I had the trans from a 960?
4) Do I need a different trans than what's in my 740 (4-speed manual)? Or is the trans in the 960 different?
5) What about cost? I'm planning on dumping ~$5k total with the 1J swap. Would I be looking more or less to do a I6 with some kind of turbo setup? The 1J I'm looking to get is only a single-turbo, so if I can at least match that I'm happy. Twin-turbo would be nicer. :)

Last edited:
So I recently found uot that the 960 came with an I6 whiteblock motor. Also, I remember reading that Volvo had made a twin-turbo I6, but I believe that was on a FWD/AWD car. So my questions are:
1) Are the FWD and RWD whiteblocks the same?

What do you mean by "the same"? The have the same bell housing bolt pattern and manifold bolt patterns. The 6 cylinder motors all have the bosses on the block to mount RWD motor mounts.

2) Could I bolt the TT from an FWD/AWD model and run it on the RWD setup?
2.5) Would that require reclocking the turbos?

Yeah it can be done. I have no idea if you can do it. It will require a lot more than re-clocking the turbos. They hit the motor mount, for one thing.

3) Compared to doing the 1J swap how hard would a whiteblock swap be, assuming I had the trans from a 960?

Roughly 15.8% easier.

4) Do I need a different trans than what's in my 740 (4-speed manual)? Or is the trans in the 960 different?

You need a tranmisison with a whiteblock bellhousing bolt pattern (AW3040 or M90), or a custom adapter.

Is it just the twin-turbo setup that hits the motor mount? Or will any turbo setup hit? Would I need a custom header made for clearance reasons? And I'm not asking if I can do it, just if it's possible. I don't have a problem with sourcing out a shop to do work I have no business doing.

The S80 setup hits. Obviously you can build a setup that does not hit it.

You can just see the motor mount below the turbo in this pic i took when I was building my setup.

DSC01559.jpg

You could possibly re-use the S80 TT setup but you'll need a custom motor mount and some freaky exhaust work.

Will the computers handle the TT configuration? Or will I need the computers from an S80?

Roughly 15.8% easier.

I think its closer to ~43%

OP: it can be done, it's not particularly difficult, you need an exhaust manifold solution because the TT manifolds put the turbos low and inside the engine mount, and those turbos are super lame anyway. The s80 computers would be a bitch to make work, so you'd need a different engine management solution anyway. Stock 960 computers would certainly not work.

edit:// peter's approach is probably the "easiest". Make a custom turbo manifold, throw it in the car, use the 960 engine management and a split second piggyback. Seems to work for him just perfectly.

Reading this with great interest as I plan on doing this exact conversion sometime later this year.

So if I had a header and custom exhaust made, bolted up an M90s trans, then ran a piggyback ECU, I would be just fine?

Hello everyone,

i'm planing to swap the B6284T (T6) engine to my E36 coupe. I guess the main challenge will be the clutch/tranny thing, mating the whiteblock to the 328/M3 ZF gearbox. Dunno if i can cut the bellhousing from the M90 box and weld it on the ZF box or will i need the adapter plate? And what flywheel/clutch combo to use? i guess i'll have to do the research myself. ;)

one more thing, is the gearbox management integrated to ECU box or is it separate? Will it start without the original gearbox?

p.s. Kenny, your build is a real inspiration, fabulous work.

Not to sound like a jerk, but can you please start a separate thread for this? This thread is specific to putting a TT6 into a 740.

So if I had a header and custom exhaust made, bolted up an M90s trans, then ran a piggyback ECU, I would be just fine?
My question would be, depending on what boost you intend to run, would an M90 cope?
Also, what's the reason for the piggyback ECU rather than a replacement standalone one? [I can think of a lot of good reasons to do it, but I can also think of a couple of reasons someone might think it's a better path when it's not]

To be honest, I don't see how a whiteblock swap is any easier than a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE swap. You're going to have to replace the entire powertrain with something which wasn't designed to go there in the first place, meaning customisation anyway. I would vote for the whiteblock 'cos IMHO it's cooler to have an end-result that's all Volvo & doesn't have bolts sticking out of it's neck & sing Putting On The Ritz; but that doesn't mean it's easier.

I like the whiteblock idea because it's all-volvo. But if you're going for power at some point, I'd probably go with the JZ. Stock for stock, the JZ is the better engine, IMHO.

Not to sound like a jerk, but can you please start a separate thread for this? This thread is specific to putting a TT6 into a 740.

isn't this your 4th or 5th fantasy engine swap thread? :-P :)

being a Volvo engine will not make it any easier, you are best off paying your shop to do the toyota/nissan or whatever engine....

twin-turbo is "nice" for bragging rights to those that don't know any better...otherwise why deal with more parts and costs and things to go wrong.....

if your shop has done the 1JZGTE swap before in another vehicle, I'd pick that route, I can see the Volvo whiteblock easily costing a minimum of a grand more to do, and have no real benefit in the end

Putting the T6 engine in, modding the manifolds/making new ones and piggy back ecu, is that all that's needed to run at the factory power output?.

I'd settle for that sort of power for now and consider major mods for later.

com'on, there's not much of a difference when you think about it :-P

Putting the T6 engine in, modding the manifolds/making new ones and piggy back ecu, is that all that's needed to run at the factory power output?.

I'd settle for that sort of power for now and consider major mods for later.

hahaha, you make it sound like that is weekend project....

"low" expected power levels is not going to make the swap any easier :wtf: :roll:

My question would be, depending on what boost you intend to run, would an M90 cope?

Mine seems to support 388whp ok... I'll let you know how it likes ~500whp and some more traction in a few months. :e-shrug:

Also, what's the reason for the piggyback ECU rather than a replacement standalone one? [I can think of a lot of good reasons to do it, but I can also think of a couple of reasons someone might think it's a better path when it's not]

Because it re-uses the factory sensors and the wiring is a lot less invasive. Peter uses it in his S80T6 converted 960, so it's a proven arrangement. This is assuming the swap is into a 960. Into a 740 a standalone is probably better since the whole engine harness needs to be replaced anyways.

To be honest, I don't see how a whiteblock swap is any easier than a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE swap. You're going to have to replace the entire powertrain with something which wasn't designed to go there in the first place, meaning customisation anyway. I would vote for the whiteblock 'cos IMHO it's cooler to have an end-result that's all Volvo & doesn't have bolts sticking out of it's neck & sing Putting On The Ritz; but that doesn't mean it's easier.

It's certainly much easier into a 960 than a JZ. The 960 motor is basically the same motor. It bolts up to the factory transmission, the factory wiring is reused, the factory engine mounts are re-used. That is like, a lot of stuff.

For a 740 it's a bit more work because you need all of the 960 bits and pieces. Reall, rather than starting with a 740 it's probably cheaper and easier to sell it and buy a 960 with a broken t-belt for cheap. Then it is definitely, much, much easier.

hahaha, you make it sound like that is weekend project....

"low" expected power levels is not going to make the swap any easier :wtf: :roll:

I know it's easy when you say it quickly isn't it?,lol... No I just meant that those are the necessary jobs to getting the engine in.

I'm just looking for options. This is going to be my drift car, so power is really the top priority. I really like the idea of going all :volvo: but if it's not going to be any cheaper or easier then I won't bother. Looks like the 1jz is still the better option. Thanks for all the info. I might do a TT conversion to a 960 in a few years, so who knows. :)

Back