home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
83flathood
Board Member

Default Compression Ratio

Hi all have a 93 + b230ft motor i want to get going a little bit.

I was thinking a bigger turbo than stock and an ipd cam. My shop teacher also suggested i raise the compression ratio.

What do you guys think should i raise it a bit? any big trade offs?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
Tom Wiley
BEWARE OF PORTLAND TRIPLE

I wouldn't. There are better things to spend your money on IMO

Last edited by Tom Wiley; 05-28-2010 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: can't read
Tom Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #3
Admiral Rebel
Board Member

Raising it is supposed to give you better off-boost torque, but it is said to lower the detonation threshold. That being said, people +T the normally aspirated B230F's all the time, and they've got a 9.8:1 CR vs. your 8.7:1.

I'd say raise it to 11:1 and keep stock boost level with some headwork, get some bigger injectors, and drive lightly while the ECU learns the new setup.

1970 Volvo 164
M400, Virgos, Dual Webers, and A/C?!

1990 Volvo 745GL
278,000 Miles
No turbo, automatic. Regina with T cam. Too much traction.
Admiral Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
stealthfti
Board Member

Raising the SCR from where that motor is now is not necessarily a problem, IF you go about it intelligently.

True: raising the SCR does tend to lower the detonation threshhold. Which is why that motor is about 8.7:1 from the factory, rather than the higher than 9:1 ratio the NA motors were built at.

If you want to raise the SCR 'some', AND raise the detonation threshhold at the same time, then the way to go is to do the things needed to make your motor 'tight squish'.

....and the way to do that is to measure the piston deck height [done with the cyl head removed] to see how positive the deck height is. That motor ['93 and newer B230FTs] is very likely to have positive piston deck height of about 6 thou [0.006in]. i.e., the pistons top out at TDC about 6 thou above the block deck.

You have to measure and confirm the piston deck height. You do NOT ASSume what the piston deck height is: you measure it.

THEN, you order the correct thickness Cometic MLS HG that will result in giving you a piston to cylinder head clearance somewhere between 30 thou and 35 thou.

...usually a 36 thou MLS HG will do the job quite nicely.

Read up on the subject of 'tight squish'. It works.

You'll also need a way of adjusting/correcting the camshaft timing. i.e., an adjustable or re-indexable timing gear for the camshaft. Otherwise, going tight squish via a thinner HG will retard the camshaft timing, which is not helpful usually.

At least one heat range colder spark plugs is also required. I run two heat ranges colder.

TF
stealthfti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
swedefiend
Gavri'el

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Rebel View Post
I'd say raise it to 11:1 and keep stock boost level with some headwork, get some bigger injectors, and drive lightly while the ECU learns the new setup.
Whoa now. I ran a NA with SCR over 11:1 for a while and it was fun.

But, when I raised the SCR on my last b230ft build I tried to stay ~9:1.

I wouldn't recommend going past 10:1 on anything not using race fuel or water injection if using a turbo as well.
swedefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

The other consideration is that while you can increase the SCR quite a bit if at the same time you bring the dynamic CR back down via more cam, you can only go so far if you have no means of adjusting your timing curve. You need to increase the turbo size at the same time as well since the additional overlap will hurt performance if you are not reducing backpressure at the same time.

it's a tricky balancing act when take to the extreme, but something in the 9-9.5:1 area with soemthing like a K cam and an 0.63 hotside is a good combo

-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
Turbeam
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedefiend View Post
Whoa now. I ran a NA with SCR over 11:1 for a while and it was fun.

But, when I raised the SCR on my last b230ft build I tried to stay ~9:1.

I wouldn't recommend going past 10:1 on anything not using race fuel or water injection if using a turbo as well.

N/A race engines that are able to breathe well but use more extreme cam timings can use even higher arithmetic CRs... around 12.5:1 is common... but that has nothing to do with a turbo application. Where cam timing has far less influence on VE such long duration intake periods aren't needed, and a late closing exhaust valve is definately not required, so the CR should be correspondingly lower.

Even on a low-boost application I'd be reluctant to go very much above 9:1

At the other extreme a really serious race turbo motor might rely heavily on boost for cylinder filling at higher rpm, and a much lower arithmetic CR will give a smaller reduction in cylinder pressure per degree of crankshaft rotation for the same peak cylinder pressure, and therefore a greater effective pressure and at larger crankpin angles producing more torque.

These sort of engines can run CRs as low as 6:1, but in combination with a high boost threshold off-boost performance is very poor.

A higher arithmetic CR would no doubt improve off-boost performance and fuel economy, but will ultimately limit the usable boost pressure. You've really got to build the motor to suit your own needs, but I can't see this being a situation where a CR of anything like 11:1 would be advisable!
Turbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
swedefiend
Gavri'el

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinagzc View Post
D&G jewelry,d&g jewelry necklaceShop the latest styles from D& G by Dolce & Gabbana.Enjoy Savings & Selection On D & G Jewelry.
Even if we could afford your warez... We wouldn't be able to resist the desire for a bigger turbo

Asshat
Old 06-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
Steve O
Unnaturally Aspirated

That's what a +T is. You can raise the compression around a point by putting an NA block under all that turbo stuff. Drill the return hole out, add an oil feed from the front of the block. Only $100 or so for a short block from pick and pull. Dollar for dollar, raising the compression ration for the cost of a cheap cam is a good bang for the buck (much pun intended). Though at that point you are producing enough squish to go bang.

'94 965 For Sale $1400 before smog
'80 242 Sold
'61 P1800 Sold
'95 Dodge Dakota wife's redneck caddilac
'87 760T Scrapped
'90 740 SE F+T 13.962 @ 100.5 1/4 ~ Daily Driver
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Poik
Backwards Turbo

With tight squish, large duration cam, large turbine housing and header, and methanol injection I'm running 20psi on my 10:1 B230F+T with no audible detonation.

Eric Olsson's 242 Turbo | 245 DL | 744 Turbo
Poik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Tom Wiley
BEWARE OF PORTLAND TRIPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
With tight squish, large duration cam, large turbine housing and header, and methanol injection I'm running 20psi on my 10:1 B230F+T with no audible detonation.
and better than 300 horsepower
Tom Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Quote:
Out of curiousity, what do you use to monitor/track detonation that you cannot hear?
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
swedefiend
Gavri'el

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishiron.com View Post
Out of curiousity, what do you use to monitor/track detonation that you cannot hear?
Knocksense

With or without ability to datalog. Your choice
Old 06-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

I was asking Poik what he uses - I am aware of Knocksense and have it installed on one of my cars...
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
Poik
Backwards Turbo

I use knocksense tied into megasquirt, so if it knocks it will pull timing.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

as mentioned....static and dynamic are two different things and cam choices affect it alot.
my 91 b230ft with ipd cam all stock with 8v head cranked 145psi
same engine now stroked to 2.5l.....16v head with stock cams.....rsi 16v pistons im cranking a little over 210psi
mathed out the static is supposed to 8.5-1 but cranking sure did go up.
i have some adjustable gears coming to help dial this out and will get turbo cams ground one of these days for this motor.
nathaninwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #17
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaninwa View Post
as mentioned....static and dynamic are two different things and cam choices affect it alot.
my 91 b230ft with ipd cam all stock with 8v head cranked 145psi
same engine now stroked to 2.5l.....16v head with stock cams.....rsi 16v pistons im cranking a little over 210psi
mathed out the static is supposed to 8.5-1 but cranking sure did go up.
i have some adjustable gears coming to help dial this out and will get turbo cams ground one of these days for this motor.
It's worth mentioning that your numbers don't take leakdown in to account. An old motor will have much more blow by than a freshly honed and ringed block.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #18
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

210 on an 8.5:1 motor doesn't even make sense to me, even with next to no overlap... I have my doubts it's 8.5:1 but that's just me. Adjustable cams aren't about to "dial that out" either. The NA cams probably already have more overlap than is ideal for your setup as it is. In other words setting them up for turbo will actually make the compresison test higher.

Typically you'll use cam gears to effectively increase the LSA on a set of NA cams, which actually makes DCR higher.

Using my own twin cam motor as an example: With 960 cams at 0/4 my 8.5:1 motor cranks ~170. At -2/4 it cranks ~180. That's an increase in LSA of 6 degrees vs. straight up, and a more appropriate setting for turbo (at least in my case, as the motor makes more power everywhere at -2/6) .

I don't understand Karl's leakdown reference...
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #19
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

Quote:
I use knocksense tied into megasquirt, so if it knocks it will pull timing.
Do you worry about it not being able to detect knock above say 4000 ish rpm? I know the miata guys I know say they can't detect much above 4000 because the engine is so noisy (they also mount the knock sensor for KS on the bottom of the engine because I guess that's where mazda put it in later years that had one), so they basically completely ignore it above 4500. Is this an issue we also have on the volvo or is that part of the BP engine being a horribly noisy engine or if anyone has even looked into it.
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo Ecodes, Springs, 16t, 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
Poik
Backwards Turbo

Above 5k it's a lot of static with a loud exhaust so I have MS ignore anything above that. If it's going to knock it is most likely going to knock around torque peak, which is about 4k on my engine.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
Poik
Backwards Turbo

And yeah 210 is pretty high.. My 10:1 +T with IPD cam was 180.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post

I don't understand Karl's leakdown reference...
If your rings are shot you won't get any compression. Blindly comparing compression numbers from a junk-yard motor to a freshly assembled shortblock doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #23
linuxman51
ARRRRHARHAR

I had 205-210 with my b230f back in the dizzay. I haven't checked it on any of my 16v motors, stopped caring about that a while ago. if it doesn't sound 'off' while cranking, and it runs out good, meh.

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #24
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

i used adverised numbers from the rsi pistons....compressed elring and advertised 16v combustion chamber and ran it through a calculater. 2 different ones gave a close 8.5 to 1 motor. i was seeing if using a cometic and going to tight squish would work but then you mentioed that the 16v dont have enough squish area to worry about so i went elring.
the cranking does seem high but it is what it is....nothing fancy in my motor but more stroke.
initial cranking was 180psi before start and now with 600 miles its rockin the 210 number.
nathaninwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #25
Volvo Heretic
Board Member

How come nobody welds in material and creates clover leaf shaped combustion chamber squich pads?

72 1800e, (74 B30f, M410, 1031 w/3.31:1, Weld Draglite 10x15/ 12x15, 265/50-15/ 295/50-15 BFGoodrich TA radials)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc Top Speed Attempt Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3qDGChRDDY Weather Report "Nubian Sundance"
Volvo Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote