• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Welcome back to the Dark Side, my young Padawan.

volvogeek

Picked this up yesterday for the GF - this will be the 2nd 850 that has replaced a minivan. :-D Note that these pics are prior to cleaning and whatnot.

4648446911_eaabe15671.jpg

4649061860_0652b7a6f2.jpg

4649065466_a2ebcbd5b2.jpg

4649062606_78e3cbe4ed.jpg

4649065084_6ace82628b.jpg

4649062936_ed5e2549e3.jpg

4648449265_c5c59555bf.jpg

It's got REALLY high miles (330kish), and a reconstructed title, but it was what she wanted and the price was right. Everything works though, and if the guy I got it from was serious, also comes with a free (but seized due to loss of oil) T5 engine and transmission. This car is a LPT with an iPd ecu, which brings it up to near stock turbo specs. It does have some minor cosmetic issues but nothing that's not easily fixed.

After driving it around a little bit today, I'm really happy with the buy. Took it to Autozone to pull the engine codes, and it's got a cyl 1 misfire. Put some fuel system cleaner in it to see if it was a fouled injector, but I'll pull the wire cover to reseat the plug wire as well as check the plugs themselves later today. Other than that, and it needing tailgate shocks, it's pretty much a DD as it sits.

For $1k, not too shabby. Though I think FCP is about to see about $300 in stage 0 goodies.

Clean it up, make it run nice and call it a day. It's doing DD duty for the GF so no tintz, hidz nor pegs.

I got underneath the car today because it has a bit of an alignment issue, and I found a few things that I thought were worthwhile.

Bilstein HD's (on 3 corners, WTF?)
4788863614_e3009b1e60_z.jpg

4788866162_f38e0363ab_z.jpg

iPd bars (rear broken in the standard location)
4788863950_7e32b264b5_z.jpg

4788236697_8af3eba3a1_z.jpg

Slotted rotors F/R, springs look standard - may see about cutting a coil or two in the near future. Motor is sitting on the front (pass-side) mount, that'll need replacing. Cyl #1 has NO compression, but oddly isn't missing bad enough to think it's dead. I'll do a leak-down sometime soon, though I had a thought that it could be a lifter issue. No oil in coolant, nor lack of coolant or oil that would indicate head gasket failure, and tailpipe isn't shooting out massive amounts of any color of steam/smoke.

I've got another I5 sitting in the garage waiting for a teardown, so I'll work on that one first to get my familiarity with the 5-cyl going, then tackle the head on the car itself if a leakdown doesn't indicate a piston problem.

It also needs different tires, for some reason it has 205/55-16's in the front, and 215/55-16's in the rear. I do not know what the PO was thinking when they installed these tires. As I mentioned before, the car has a reconstructed title - after looking under the front of the car it seems to me that it had some kind of front-end collision that was mainly passenger-side. Probably bent the strut (and the PO didn't want to buy a $120 bilstein) and replaced the other items as cheaply as possible before selling it. I'm not concerned though, these aren't insurmountable problems.

It also needs different tires, for some reason it has 205/55-16's in the front, and 215/55-16's in the rear. I do not know what the PO was thinking when they installed these tires. As I mentioned before, the car has a reconstructed title - after looking under the front of the car it seems to me that it had some kind of front-end collision that was mainly passenger-side. Probably bent the strut (and the PO didn't want to buy a $120 bilstein) and replaced the other items as cheaply as possible before selling it. I'm not concerned though, these aren't insurmountable problems.

This guy has the correct mentality.

Went to iPd to grab a motor mount, and on the way there the CEL was flashing at me. Found out later that this is a misfire event indicator, which wasn't a big surprise due to my previous code pulling. Didn't pop the hood even though this was new behavior, and I should have. After I got my parts and came all the way home, I found that the upper intercooler hose was torn.

4861153503_6db44011a9_z.jpg

That definitely caused a lack of power. I duct-taped it up and the car ran MUCH better, but still flashed the CEL at me. I'm thinking a seafoam treatment before I go and see if we've got a burnt and/or bent valve. Got the new hose today though, installed that almost immediately, because duct-tape is NOT oil resistant.

4861773460_52839ed7aa_z.jpg

Duct tape won't hold back the boost or vacuum either, it will leak.

gotta love engines that don't give a **** about running without a cylinder.

IIRC iPD will replace the older versions of their sways... especially the rears.

Worth checking into.

Nice car!

Back