home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
volvorod85
Board Member

Default Chinese turbos

So ive been toying with the idea of a chinese turbo, but im hesitant for a few reasons...one is that there really isnt any grading of metals in china, so im worried bout a compressor wheel exploding. Ive got a stroker motor ive put some money into, and i do not want to worry bout throwing metal through it. Now im sure some of you are gonna say then I've answered my question. But what are the thoughts on a chinese turbo? Replace the seals bearings and have the wheels balanced before use? Buy it, and run it? Dont go near one? Discuss

Mark
1974 Fiat X1/9 <--Mom's little toy (next project)
1982 Olds Custom Cruiser LQ4 <--Dad's beast (current project)

"Driving the old 2 valve 740 is a bit like driving an IKEA wall unit, so leisurely is its acceleration, so angular its lines."

My former brick saved my life 6/25/03....Volvo for Life
New pic comin eventually.......
volvorod85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

What I hear from most is to just rebuilt it once you have it and have it rebalanced, after that you are good to go. Tho depending on how much all that costs ($150 for new turbo and $200-300 for rebuild and balance at a proper shop) you might as well of just dumped the $350-450 into a proper turbo.

OR you can just buy one from a seller that others have had good luck with and just replace the seals ($20) and run it
Old 07-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
ElPiloto
Board Member

Turbos are really quite simple. With full-floating sleeve bearings, they should work as well as any other turbo. At least for a while.

Much of the expense in buying turbos from mainline manufacturer are the R&D and expensive alloys not needed for use on street cars. It's much, much cheaper to copy a turbo than to design and build them. I would never use any cheap turbo for serious racing.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
volvorod85
Board Member

I've rebuilt the one I have, so thats not a problem Its a home brew garret t3/t4....but my turbine housing is trash, and my compressor wheel also has a small chip missing from one blade. Its a T03 .63 hot and a T04b cold side. A T04e is they way i want to go and it seems cheeper and easier to just get a chinese one for the cost. But if I do it seems I need to replace all the innards, as I don't think I'd trust the chinese wheels at all. I can prolly reuse my turbine wheel though, im just trying to weigh my options as I dont want to worry about blowing one up, and i dont have $700 to spend on a new turbo.

Mark
Old 07-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
tryingbe
Turbo & Parts Supplier

You never know what exactly you're buying with the eBay turbo. Not a problem if you want to use them as-is, big problem if you're trying to find parts to rebuild them.

Actual user feedbacks.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...&postcount=100

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...&postcount=119

T04E 50 Trim upgrade kit! $180 shipped
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
tree18is
Board Member

my Honda friend has one on his b16, HE RAG's THE crap out of it, doesn't turbo time it and drives the car everyday... I dont know how its holding up. but it is.
thats my experience with a Chinese turbo.
tree18is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
jpbturbo
Mens Classic Fit Polo

A friend of mine bought one of the chinese kits a while back for his DSM and the compressor housing fell in half before he made it out of the parking lot.
Not surprising since it was glued together.

But others have had better luck.

The Belgian Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac
Ur A LIAR u dident maek 28 psi BOOURNZ!
jpbturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
linuxman51
ARRRRHARHAR

messed with a couple over the years, I haven't had much luck with the hot sides, but I used the '57' compressor side with a genuwine stg2 hot side and it wasn't that bad. Other people have had worse luck and some people have had great luck, so I'd say YMMV. I chalk that up as "I don't have the money to do it right but I have the money to do it again".

besides, if you're spending the money to do everything else right, why cheap out on the part that really makes the package? best case scenario you don't get a junk turbo but it might not be sized for your application.. and it will suck. worst case scenario you end up with random turbo parts in the oil going through that new pump, etc.

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I've got about 6000, 6500 on my Chinese knock-off dual ball bearing GT3076R knockoff. Just slapped it straight on the car, have had no issues with is so far.

Might replace it with a better manifold and real Garrett at some point.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
volvorod85
Board Member

Ive got 7,000 miles on the motor, i just dont wanna mess it up at this point, heh.....it seems as though i may want to stay away from them then...to unpredictable

Mark
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
2turbotoys
Board Member

Check out the vids of Chinese turbos on youtube, lol. Some funny stuff (if it's not your car). Sometimes it costs a lot more to use them, lol. I work part time at a shop where most of what we do is turbo kits and such, we always warn people about those things because they are hit or miss. Some aren't bad at all, others are laughable build quality. Since there is no name brand, how do you know? The standard joke is "We'll see them in a few months for a real turbo." To be fair, none of the failures seen yet at the shop have damaged an engine.
91 740t 296,xxx miles!,new 94 engine, m46, S&B cone, E-fan, #46 inj/3bar, 012 maf, custom mani/dp/exh, Greddy Type S bpv, Turbo xs mbc, 3" turboback, 960 tb,50trimt3/t04estage3blahblahblah
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
pwschuh
Rolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorod85 View Post
there really isnt any grading of metals in china,
Obviously that's not true because there is some world-class stuff coming out of China, but not at an e-bay price-point. Chinese merch is basically all over the map. Everything from trinkets to space-worthy components. If you pay a trinket price, you're going to get a trinket turbo. Very high quality components are available from China but they are not cheap.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
towerymt
the real Towery

There was a seller on ebay a while ago that sold a complete T3 or T3/T04 rebuild kit for $75-80 and offered free balancing if you mailed the rotating parts to him.

I would at least open it up and see how it looks inside.
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
244s are drop dead ugly and suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amargill19? View Post
I've always wanted to work in a potato salad factory!
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

The turbo is possibly the single most influential component with respect to the characteristics and performance of the engine. I'd find somewhere else to save a few hundred bucks. Yeah they work for some folks but IMO it's not really worth it.

If you really want/need to go cheap get a holset.

-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
sdturbo
Board Member

There are lots of options out there. Not all china turbos are the same, we can get some pretty respectable stuff for a bit more than ebay prices. You can also get a legit Garret turbo for $600.
97 Land Rover Discovery (Volvo D24T swap)
65 Mini Cooper (B16 powered)
www.yoshifab.com Volvo performance parts.
(760)468-7002
sdturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
If you really want/need to go cheap get a holset.
Just not a variable gate one - the hotside is HUGE.

JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

Do believe all Garret turbos are now made in china or mexico. Keep that in mind. What i've heard from a few people is the chinese turbos work fine if you put an oil restricter in the feed, though I am not sure how true that is. They only seem to be getting better, in another few years i think the chinese turbos will be something many people will run
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo Ecodes, Springs, 16t, 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #18
volvofreak740
Board Member

pmed on turbo and manifold
volvofreak740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
volvofreak740
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
Do believe all Garret turbos are now made in china or mexico. Keep that in mind. What i've heard from a few people is the chinese turbos work fine if you put an oil restricter in the feed, though I am not sure how true that is. They only seem to be getting better, in another few years i think the chinese turbos will be something many people will run
all garret turbos are made in mexico and is owned by honeywell aerospace one of many of my works costomers
Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
sdturbo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
My chinabay "50trim" ate a bearing without a restirctor. Looked like it just got hot, not like oil starvation. $30 rebuild kit and it going strong again.

This is a difficult dicussion because its not that cut and dry. You can get crappy parts made in the US. You can get turbos that are made in china that are fantastic and you can get some that are giant waste of time. We are testing some new ones this week.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #21
volvofreak740
Board Member

josh is right on that its always hit and miss with defective parts just depends do u rly want to pay for the name or something that works the same without the big name its something you have to deside on
Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvofreak740 View Post
josh is right on that its always hit and miss with defective parts just depends do u rly want to pay for the name or something that works the same without the big name its something you have to deside on

Ok so when you buy a billet wheeled turbo from precision for example, you are just paying for the name? Wow this thread is so educational.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #23
sdturbo
Board Member

When someone in china copies a billet wheel from precision turbo (seems to have already happened but I don't have my hands on one yet) you are not paying engineers salaries/R&D. It sucks and is in poor ethics but it is reality.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #24
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

http://cgi.ebay.com/Turbo-Compressor...item3f00c3b921
Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdriver123 View Post
I would rather listen to Brett ramble on about Jesus
DNAsEqUeNcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #25
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdturbo View Post
When someone in china copies a billet wheel from precision turbo (seems to have already happened but I don't have my hands on one yet) you are not paying engineers salaries/R&D. It sucks and is in poor ethics but it is reality.
Ok but my point is that paying more because of the legitimate engineering overheads of a legitimate business is not the same as "just paying more for the name" IMO, as if the place in china and Precision are similar companies with the same overheads but precision gouge you just because it says precision on it. Like you say, you are paying for R&D.