home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Sp3aK
Board Member

Default A Plain 245

Car sold on 9-30-2011. It will be missed!

Modification list:
- Stolen stereo Kenwood KDC-BT945U
- MSW Wheels (15x7) and Kuhmo Ecsta AST tires (225/50/15)
- No-name cone air filter
- Hollowed out catalytic converter (it puked its guts out)
- Removed front muffler
- Removed A/C & Power Steering
- Some rattle can stuff here and there.

Here is mostly how it got there:

Car was purchased in Feb. 2007 with a little over 118,000 miles. I basically gave up my 86 245+T for this car, but it was time for change. It's been a pretty reliable daily driver and been from NC to Alabama for the yearly SE meet a few times.

Did a whole bunch of maintenance items to get it freshened up. Free labor helped. Items completed: Timing belt, water pump, seals, valve cover gasket, oil cap, oil change, thermostat, new signal lenses, compression check, fixed rear brake light, alignment check (it was fine), new secondary muffler, and tailgate wiring harness.

First mod was replacing the busted old speakers:

Pioneer is fine with me:

Next was to throw some paint around and ditch the body color front valence...

Magic:

* Valence has since been swapped out for another one since the paint and started to chip off. Maybe I will get an 850 valence someday and put that on, they look cool.

Time for some tires!

They didn't fit on the stock wheels very well so this guy delivered me some new (used) wheels:

Thanks Dug, you're a champ!

15x7 MSW's look nicer than steelies anwyays:

At some point the grill got painted as well... not looking terrible in the early evening glow:

Off to SE6.0, Hi Eric!!! :

Moving on. Did I mentioned I owned a Camaro? Sold it to pay a school loan. Worked on it for 3 years, drove it for a few months. Oh well, million more where that came from!

Woohoo SE 7.0:

Kicking butt at SE8.0:

Fast forward through a lot of daily driving, no mods and no real fuss, get married, then get to a few months ago:

Thanks! I didn't like my stereo anyways.

So that's the basic story on the car. I'm at a point where if I had another car lined up I would sell this thing tomorrow. I do still have a strange attachment to it though. It doesn't get driven a lot as it is now a second vehicle (forgot, I got married too yayyyy!). Has some kinks I'm trying to get worked out.

It would be a good candidate for a turbo being that it's LH2.4 and you can easily chip it or buy a plug and play MS kit from Kenny, but I've just decided not to go that route. I don't work at an automotive shop anymore so I don't have access to endless lifts and tools like I used to. I can do some work at work (heh) but I'm not up for a +T at this point or even with this car.

I plan to sell it whenever I can, but to appease my need to do SOMETHING to the car that feels like a mod or work or doing some greater good I will continue on my list of things above.

Check back for more plain updates!

Last edited by Sp3aK; 10-08-2011 at 01:58 AM..
Sp3aK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Manbeard
#helpbrock2k16

"I basically gave up my 86 245+T for this car"

Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Jerd
Board Member

yay gold!
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
morganpartee
Board Member

Love those wheels. I want a wagon.

2011 Ford Ranger
1997 Miata, Supercharged
2002 Suzuki DRZ-400S
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
morganpartee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
cookiemonster
Board Member

nice window mod.............aerodynamics im guessing? i no the feeling man it sucks but atleast they didnt steal your car.

2001 f250 powerstroke, 535hp 715tq
1983 c30 dually, 350/350 6/8 drop
91 240, m47, ipd springs, sweet cone filter!
cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Sp3aK
Board Member

At that time they wouldn't have been able to get it out of park (bad brake light switch)

I'm honestly just glad they didn't break into my wifes car which was parked right next to mine. $120 for a window and all is well.

$50 WalMart stereo going in before too long. Going to get some maintenance type work done first then look into that.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Sp3aK
Board Member

Finally get a set of keys to work so I can go in on the weekends and do whatever. Very excite!

Today's agenda was:

- Start the long process of cleaning the engine bay
- PB Blaster on the door hinges (so noisey)
- Clean up the headlights
- Clean air filter

Some 409, brush, and paper towels:

Gross... It's not perfect by any means but it's a lot cleaner now. It will make it easier for me to go over it again later.

All done with that. Polished the headlights too!

I didn't do this today but a couple of weeks ago I removed the front muffler and put in a straight pipe:

Car is running a hollowed out cat and rear muffler only now. Sounds a lot better.

Lastly I thought I would post some pictures of the car very dirty and outside work:

I like my wheels:

After looking at the pictures I realize I need to repaint the grill (or find a good non-cracked one) and fix the front valence (the screw mounts on the ends are broke off which is why it hangs). Oh well, I will just add it to the list.

Last edited by Sp3aK; 09-05-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
Sp3aK
Board Member

Quick update with no pictures (fail).

Got a used AMM installed and the car is running a lot better. I also installed a brake light switch which cured the problem of the brake lights not working and the shifter not unlocking.

That's all for now! Might come in to work Saturday and do some more goofing around. Week after that is SE.

More updates to come.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
schaff70
Board Member

Needs tint. Limo for the back windows & whatever is legal for the front.
+ 1 on the lowering springs & if you ever find an 850 wagon rear wing, make it fit somehow.
Personally I'd add a set of Hella 550 (rectangle) driving lights to the front under the front bumper.
I'll shoot some fresh pics for you this year at SE.
I have no Volvo, therefore I have no life.

Need vintage motorcycle parts? Visit Rubber City Vintage Cycles
schaff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Sp3aK
Board Member

Yeah yeah... All good suggestions. There is a few more drive-ability items that need to be sorted out before the "mods" start. I just want to be real careful with the amount of money I put into the car. The wife doesn't completely understand the whole car modification stuff, especially on an old Volvo

I'd love to find the 1993 850 front bumper valence and get that put on somehow. They look good. I think most of the things I want to do to the car can be done for cheap if I take my time to source the parts.

My car actually isn't scheduled to be at SE this year! We are SUPPOSED to be taking Jason's wagon (finally) or his Camaro if the wagon isn't up for the drive.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Sp3aK
Board Member

Double post...? Lose.

Last edited by Sp3aK; 09-23-2010 at 10:30 AM..
Old 10-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Sp3aK
Board Member

So it's been a few minutes since I posted so I thought it was time to do something else to the car.

The grill paint I did 3 years ago started chipping off so I decided to redo it and change up the look a little bit.

When I first got the car it looked like this:

I just taped over the Volvo logo and got this:

After 3 years it started chipping (lame):

I have seen others do the grill this way and thought I would give it a try.

First I had to sandblast off the old paint (which didn't mess up the chrome at all surprisingly). Then I washed it with 409 and a scrub brush, removed the Volvo logo, dremel'd off the tabs, and filed them down. :

Last steps were to prime (which I didn't do last time) and paint:

Yay! Doesn't look bad IMO. I could have done better filing the tabs but I think this will last a couple of years. If I still have the car then it will be time to change up the look again anyways.

Other mods today were to cut the AC belt since my power steering has been leaking more and more. Hopefully in a few weeks I will remove both pumps altogether and be able to clean up that side of the engine bay finally!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
Sp3aK
Board Member

Well I hadn't driven the car much since last weekend when I cut the belt going to the AC/power steering. It's hard to drive when you are turning all that fluid!

Although I'm kind of lacking on the pictures I did want to do a quick update. My dad came out to work to help me remove the AC/power steering assembly. As of a few days ago I hadn't even really planned on removing it all, just cutting the lines and using a barb fitting to get them together and be done with it.

Well a few dirty hands later we had the assembly out, re-used the power steering lines (so no cutting required) and all is well!

Good sunlight makes things look a lot cleaner than they really are... Too bad it doesn't make things a lot LOWER than the really are

In case anyone was wondering, the AC and power steering pumps with all the brackets weighs just about 35lbs! That's a sweet mod if you AC doesn't work and your power steering is leaking (as was the case with mine). I also stopped by the car wash and spent a few minutes power washing the driver side strut tower area and the rack. Many years of gunk and fluid built up!

I'm still not sure which direction the car is going overall. But I have to same I'm rather pleased with its progression of the past few months. My main goal is to continue to get the car cleaned up more and more. The engine bay is still terrible IMO, but progress is being made!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #14
Jerd
Board Member

Cut your springs! 3 front 2.5 rear.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #15
mavawreck
The son of Chico Dusty

I just got rid of a set of cheap lowering springs.... Looks good though, if you sell the car and are interested in parting with the rims, let me know. Sounds like you feel the same about your 240 that I feel about mine, didn't intend to love it but it doesn't give you a lot to complain about. Like a marriage.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
Sp3aK
Board Member

Hey Jerd, that's my car! Well it'd be nice if it looked like that anyways. I plan on lowering when I have some overlapping work (shocks and struts).

Mavawreck: pretty much
Old 10-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Jerd
Board Member

hahah

When i first saw this build i was all excited to see how you would do things. I kinda went the, "black is the only color that goes with gold" rout. But its kinda boring. Also keep in mind that picture i posted is Ollldddddd.

Keep up the great work man!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Lower.
Cut springs will make the car.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

PLEASE CUT YOUR SPRINGS!!! This ride has potential to be one of the sickest wagons on the board. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #20
Sp3aK
Board Member

I know guys I know. I might briing the subject up with my dad when we are replacing the over drive solenoid in a couple of weeks. He has historically been against cut springs but I might be able to talk him into redoing my alignment...
Old 10-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #21
Sp3aK
Board Member

Default Tunes!

FINALLY! Something that has been on my "To Do" list for over 5 months. Just got a new stereo put in.

It is a Kenwood KDC-BT945U (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bqrSIcD...DC-BT945U.html). This thing is sweet. Built in bluetooth and iPod control. Phone calls from the car sound good.

I just have the cables poking around the back via the empty gauge spot but I plan on cutting a spot for them that is more tucked away when I have some time. I removed my ash tray and cleaned that area out, thats where I plan on having the cables (iPod and AUX). External microphone will be mounted in front of the instrument cluster.

I didn't realize my vents were so dirty!

Last edited by Sp3aK; 10-26-2010 at 09:16 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
Sp3aK
Board Member

Busy busy.

As I mentioned I would be properly running the microphone and USB wires for my stereo. I decided I would utilize one of the blank spots in the area where cigarette lighter is for the USB port and a little wire tuck action for the microphone.

I didn't do a good job AT ALL cutting the slot for the USB but it's wedged in there good so it won't move around when I plug/unplug:

I don't hook the iPod up a lot anyways so I think it looks pretty good.

The microphone was easy to run, just wedge the mount under the instrument cluster and away we go. Anyone I call says they can hear me good so this will be the permanent home for the mic.

During my small wiring adventure today I decided to tackle the center console lighting problem. No I don't have pics, everyone knows it's a mess back there. I had two dead bulbs and some loose connections back there. Got everyone sorted out, got some new bulbs. Might try and take a picture tonight if I remember. I'm just going to cross my fingers that all the lights work.

So a few more things knocked off the ever growing to do list. Most of what I've been doing hasn't cost me much (if any) money. If anyone cares the bulb number you need for the center console lights is #2721. They are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. $5 for two little bulbs. I considered going full ricer and getting blue or something but they didn't even have those available.

Not sure what's next. We will see what time permits! Still need to make it to the shop to get the overdrive solenoid in.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
mavawreck
The son of Chico Dusty

I ran my USB through the glove box door support hole - one of mine happened to be broken and it was almost the right size. Just an idea. I tend to just let it play random anyways. But the way you did it certainly works fine too.
mavawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #24
Sp3aK
Board Member

Thanks. It seemed different and somewhat cool to me. It also gave me something to do Friday afternoon at work... other than work of course
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
smokeyfan1000

I ran my USB between the DS lower panel, up the crack by the Ign.. switch, & up between/behind the gap between the Instrument Clstr. & gauge blanks. It comes to rest right under the cowl overhang on dash. And is not very noticable & it's easier to get to.