home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
B-Rod
says: dance

Default B-rods '87 765 daily driver project

I'm not a writer so most of this will be pictures lol

I bought this car mid-October 2009 as my 240 wasn't running yet and my Regal wasn't going to be practical for the snow. Found it on Craigslist in Mission listed for $1000 and drove it home for $800. I realized later I probably still paid too much for it but other ones I was looking at were double the price. With 321,000km (≈200,000mi) on the B230FT, blown struts/Nivomats, dangerous right balljoint and rear hatch full of spare parts she was all mine.

Basics:
-1987 765, B230FT, LH 2.2, TD05-12b turbo @ 3psi lol, automagic

Here it is when I first got it.

Other than the front seats and headliner the interior is decent

First step obviously was to tint the rear 3 windows

Next step obviously was to cut 2 coils from the front springs lol. I also replaced both ball joints and attempted to change the struts but the gland nuts were frozen solid and we didn't have anything to free it at the time.

Also painted the bumpers/trim/chrome

Threw on some snowies and she was all set for winter

January rolled around and I finally decided to do a bit of a stage 0. Did a tune up, changed the oil, set the mixture on the AMM, did a bit of Seafoaming and of course added a cone filter for the awesome noises. Also did a full 3" exhaust with Magnaflow cat and muffler and some random pipes I had from other projects.

And the cobbled tailpipe lol. Not one of my best creations but it works

I ended up adding a $20 Ebay fart can to the end to quieten it up a touch and add the bling factor lol

In March I picked up some Hydras from swedishiron and gave them a shot of paint to clean them up a bit

Headed out to the "local" Pick-a-Part and gripped some regular springs and shocks to convert from Nivomat. 2 coils were quickly removed. This is how she sat for a few months

With 1" wheel spacers on the rear

Got a set of Bilstein HDs and IPD sway bars locally. Installed those with another 1/2 coil off the front. Oh man, so much better. No pics of that though apparently.

Had the wheels off my 240 so decided to try them on the wagon just for fun. Not bad, needs moar lower.

Thats basically it for now. Theres a few things cosmetic wise I need to take care of. Got some 960/V90 taillights to replace the super faded ones on there as well as some new turn signals and corner lights. Also got a V90 rear spoiler, tailgate handle and door handles to paint and install. Eventually I'd like to get some baller mesh wheels but that won't happen til after school's done most likely.
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
B-Rod

My 240 has proven itself worthy of daily driver status so the wagon was pulled into the shop to start some work. The motor is a bit tired/leaky/noisy and a B23FT was available locally so I jumped on that, still need to pick it up though. It will be a very basic build, mildly ported 15g on a 90+ manifold ported to match and an RSI stage 1 turbo cam. Mainly just aiming for cleanliness, less clutter, etc.

Video of the last time it ran... yeah nice

Couple motor shots before it was pulled

Ready to pull

Like I said earlier, cleanliness is quite important to me so the engine bay was completely degreased. Still need to clean up the wiring though.

Before and after

Here's a before and after shot of the turbo and manifold porting. Not the best job but it should be better anyways.

Cleaned and painted the valve cover with a wrinkle black. I think I might put a clear coat on the raised center part to give it a bit of contrast.

And a shot of the gauge setup I got. I love Ebay; $20 for the oil temp, $10 for the boost and $180 for the wideband - all new.

I took the down pipe, manifold and turbo hotside to the ceramic coaters last week so will be picking those up this week and hopefully I can get the motor to the shop and get it all together. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
B-Rod

Found the cause of all the noise

Might be hard to tell but the shinier section near the top of the cylinder is some major taper/wear, I'd estimate at least .030". And only on the portion shown, the side of the cylinder closer to the camera was fine. I'd like to pull it all apart to see what else is worn out.

Pistons were cleaner than I expected lol

Arty cylinder head shot for good measure

Old 09-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
Jerd
Board Member

Oooo im going to keep my eye on this one! Looking great so far, very nice pictures!
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #5
VQ
Not such a PRVert Anymore

Nice! Why did you go for a b23FT instead of a 940 squirter b230FT motor? Those ones have no piston play and the like whereas a b23 will, and they aren't any stronger despite what people on here try and say.

hellastock
Speed Bumps? No Problem.

264 GLE RIP
88 740T wagon
1964 122s

88 760GLE
VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
B-Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ View Post
Nice! Why did you go for a b23FT instead of a 940 squirter b230FT motor? Those ones have no piston play and the like whereas a b23 will, and they aren't any stronger despite what people on here try and say.
I wasn't specifically looking for the B23 but it was rebuilt 80,000km ago, don't know if that means it won't be noisy but a boy can dream. And the price was right. Chances of finding a squirter motor around here that's not rediculously priced are pretty slim
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
unxetas
Board Member

Could always add the squirters to the B23FT and get the best of both worlds

It came out of the first redblock volvo I ever drove, and I honestly had no idea piston slap ever existed.. Until I bought my other 2 redblocks :(
unxetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
Mark
sex lights

The video demonstrating piston slap is great. Now I know why mine sounds like diesel pickup truck...

M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
Incorrect, the Frigidaire is Mark's 86 745. It's in appliance white and it is Best Car.
The Fridge; '86 745 DD-with full '94 LH2.4 swap. Now with M90!
2000 AMG E55 wagon.
'78 Honda GL1000- naked Goldwing.
'76 265 wagon with Megasquirted 350 chevy and T56. Scrapped
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

If I ever get a 7X5, this is how I want it to look. Nice wagon.
2006 V50 T5 AWD 6MT: 135K
Feedback Thread
kampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
B-Rod

Small update. Just been cleaning and painting parts basically to keep busy haha. Also had the main exhaust components ceramic coated to hopefully keep underhood temps down as well as looking pretty.

The manifold is black and turbo exhaust housing is grey cast looking-ish.

I got the downpipe coated in a chrome finish, didn't turn out exactly how I imagined but better than before

Painted the intake, throttle body, throttle spool and fuel rail

Thats it for now. I'm working on mounting the 4" core Ebay intercooler I got, need to wire up the gauges and then I'm basically just waiting for the motor.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Jerd
Board Member

Looking great man!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
Manbeard
#helpbrock2k16

what are the specs on the adapters for the mustang wheels? they look PERFECT on the wagon. i love them on your 240 too... awesome car man.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
B-Rod

Thanks guys.

The adapters are just the cheapy Ebay 1" 5x108 to 5x114. I think I might run the Mustang wheels on the wagon next near and get some mesh types for the 240.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
i drift volvos
cracker

Holy hell. Nice build. You don't build anything half ass do you? Lol

1986 Volvo 245 v8 drift project
i drift volvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
B-Rod

Alright well, lots to update. There was a time issue getting the motor near the end of October and we were supposed to move out of our shop November 4th. Well apparently our landlord didnt remember me telling him we were leaving so we got another month there. Anyways my point is, things were a bit rushed so not a lot of pictures and some things didint turn out the way I was hoping but overall I'm pretty happy with it. So here we go...

Here it is just pulled off the truck. You can see the can of degreaser there I was about to soak this thing in.

Next step was to do something with the turbo oil drain. I didn't want to mess with the stock setup so I tapped the block to 3/4npt for a -10 fitting

Drain line made with premium LOL PLUS hose haha

Then I got everything on the exhaust side installed and ready to go. You can kinda see the finished oil drain line in there.

Tada! The motors in

Didn't happen to get a pic of the 4" core ebay intercooler mounting. You can kinda see it in some upcoming pics.

Heres the hot side intercooler pipe I had to cobble together. Its nice having a big box of random exhaust tubes around, I highly recommend it

Fast forward again and hey, its all back together.

And it runs too! Cell phone video, I'll try to get a better one tomorrow

Didn't have time to put the RSI cam and gear in unfortunately. Hopefully on winter break from school I can get it measured up and order the shims.

Just a couple things to work out. The temperature gauge wasn't working, I probably didn't hook it up right. And the oil lite came on the second time I started it but I'm thinking its also a wiring issue. Oh, and I need to get all the front lights and grill put together then see what it'll do.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
Jerd
Board Member

Looks amazing man, great work. Let us know how the first drive goes!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #17
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

Awesome, props to a fellow local!

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #18
unxetas
Board Member

Damn that cleaned up nice! Glad you had enough time to get it in, sorry it took so long!
unxetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 AM   #19
B-Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
Looks amazing man, great work. Let us know how the first drive goes!
Oh yes tomorrow should be fun lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
Awesome, props to a fellow local!
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxetas View Post
Damn that cleaned up nice! Glad you had enough time to get it in, sorry it took so long!
No worries man, it all worked out in the end. And thanks again, quietest redblock ever lol
Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 AM   #20
will740turbo
Board Member

WOW! That is immaculate! Makes me feel bad for neglecting my brick so much. It's getting a new engine this week, I'm going to pull one tomorrow. The pics are worth a thousand words for how to pull my engine. Do you happen to have one of the engine from a side view before you pulled off the transmission?
will740turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #21
timmybighands
Board Member

Nice work! I'm doing mine right now as well... only I'm re-wiring and swapping engines. Apparently the newer 93 got a cleaner engine bay wiring harness. Your pics are a huge help. How'd you hide your harness so well?

'92 944t sedan.
Parts car with some extras. Need stuff??? PM me!
timmybighands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #22
timmybighands
Board Member

Also wondering if you jusst cleaned up your new motor and dropped it in? Or did you reseal it completely first? Your pics just kinda ogo from back of the truck to in the car.
timmybighands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #23
B-Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by will740turbo View Post
WOW! That is immaculate! Makes me feel bad for neglecting my brick so much. It's getting a new engine this week, I'm going to pull one tomorrow. The pics are worth a thousand words for how to pull my engine. Do you happen to have one of the engine from a side view before you pulled off the transmission?
I might, I'll have a look when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybighands View Post
Nice work! I'm doing mine right now as well... only I'm re-wiring and swapping engines. Apparently the newer 93 got a cleaner engine bay wiring harness. Your pics are a huge help. How'd you hide your harness so well?
I basically just removed wasn't necessary and pushed everything else I could out of sight. I never intended on hiding it, just making it less intrusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybighands View Post
Also wondering if you jusst cleaned up your new motor and dropped it in? Or did you reseal it completely first? Your pics just kinda ogo from back of the truck to in the car.
Cuz that's basically what happened lol. It just got a new gasket when I put the painted valve cover on and that's it. I have new seals for when I do the cam but so far everthing looks dry.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
B-Rod

Well I drove it home last night but that was a big mistake. I think there's an issue with the oil drain on the turbo because it's like a James Bond smoke screen out back, just brutal. The turbo was supposed to be clocked but it looks to be on quite an angle. I guess I'll try reclocking it, I'll have to redo the drain hose unfortunately.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #25
Jerd
Board Member

Feed and drain should be 90* to horizontal