home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-02-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Paul_VR6
Board Member

Default Deleting B234F Balance Shafts, need addtl info

I just bought a 91 940 GLE that had a timing belt failure. Owner got the head rebuilt and then ran out of time. This is where I step in..

Looking to build a budget driver on low boost with a stock 234F block and head. I know all about MS, turbos, injectors and that sillyness. What I'm looking for is additional B234F info that I just can't find and I'm hoping you can help.

When deleting the balance shafts on the B234 what size freeze plugs shoud I use? I've heard of using one of the oil galleys for turbo oil feed, what fittings should be used there, should I tap the block? What size belt needs to be used, part number? Any mods need to be done to the oil pump or tensioners to get it to work better? Any clues on belt routing?

I've already read all the 16v threads I could find, and they were helpful but didnt' contain some of the specific info that I need. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: a quick HI to Doug, thanks for the help on the GRM boards!
"If I add more valves, does it break faster or slower?"
91 940 GLE - sold.
Paul_VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #2
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

No problem bud :D

I think the best bet is one of the Aussie members and Ravennexus from the UK here. He's got a balance shaft bahleeted motor
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
Paul_VR6
Board Member

Hopefully they find the thread.. otherwise I'll have to bother them for the info
Old 08-02-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
MikeSr.
Finish it, Flounder

FYI- you don't have to go to all that trouble- I just removed the balance belt and left the shafts in place-no problems at all. I read about it first on a Canadian Volvo board, then decided I would try it. I'm happy after about 12k miles , I can tell no difference in vibration.
I replaced all my pulleys, tensioner, oil pump pulley and bolt- I torqued everything very carefully and used loctite on all bolts.
This info was very helpful to me in doing my setup:http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...imingbelts.htm
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited by MikeSr.; 08-02-2004 at 01:06 PM..
MikeSr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:40 PM   #5
Paul_VR6
Board Member

Thanks for the link, I had seen that before but couldn't find it again! One thing I didn't notice last time was that the oil pump was driven by the timing belt. So I won't need the balance belt at all, which is perfect.

I'd rather get rid of the shafts though, if it's not doing something good then it's just dead weight. Also, if I can get an oil feed out of it, that would be good as well. Anyone have info on removing the shafts totally and plugging?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

I think one guy told me he cut the shaft and just bolted on a small section of the shaft housing back over the holes. On the other side the holes might have been used for turbo lines.

That doesnt help too much, but you can consider cutting them as plugs.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
MikeHardy
The Sirius/Nova Police

nothing needs to be done to the belts to get it to work. the balance shaft belt is completely seperate from the timing/oil pump belt.

do ease of doing i'd go with leaving them in place too. that is unless there leaking. when the previous owners did mine they were putting it in a 242 to took them off as part of that. i think they tapped the holes and fitted bolts in there to seal them.
MikeHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:41 AM   #8
Paul_VR6
Board Member

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. Took the motor a little more apart today and it's looking like the "easy" thing to do is just leave them there. If I ever pull the motor, I'll take them out and tap/plug the oil feeds the right way.