home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
340GLT
Board Member

Default Volvo 850R AWD Conversion

Hi everyone. In november i bought myself a low mileage 850R Auto saloon with blown headgasket to become my new daily and a quick build project. With the biggest single mod to convert it to AWD using the AWD system from an 850 AWD estate doner and at the same time complete the manual swap. Reason for the conversion is i really dont do Auto or wrong wheel drive..... :P

I also managed to come accross a pair of compomotive MO6's in 18 x 8 fitment to go with the pair i already had. Unfortunately they were the incorrect offset for the 850 so i needed spacers. So instead of going for the expensive extended wheel bolt option, i decided to convert the car to wheel studs and nuts instead as i hate wheel bolts anyway. I also upgraded it to the 302mm discs.

I also decided a small head unit upgrade was on the cards as i wanted iphone feedback. Because of using the single din ALpine unit i wanted to fill the space with something other than a radio pocket so i made a gauge panel using a set of VAG VDO gauges which will also give me nice engine readings too.

In early February i picked up my doner AWD which looks a state but has all the parts i need on it and a fairly low mileage again. I got the car from my local breakers yard hence the knackered roof. The car drove into the yard and the prop was still all connected so i cannot see why there will be any problems with the running gear.

Cheers Adam

340GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
340GLT
Board Member

Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
340GLT
Board Member

Well the rear suspension is on and all fitted. The driveshafts have been painted as was most other items o the rear suspension.
I have converted the centre console to take the standard gear gaiter by cutting the surround from the manual and bonding it into the auto centre console. Works a treat.
The wheels have come back from the powdercoaters and have had the tyres fitted.
The ride height is ok for now, i cut one coil from the rear springs whilst the suspension was apart.
Overall fitting of the rear suspension has been relatively straight forward like i planned the ABS fuel Pump and fuel sender wires are all a direct plug in. So now its time to move onto the front.
The car has already had the pedlas fitted from the manual and i modified th egear lever for a better driving position. (pics to follow)
I also built a 16t up including porting the cold side outlet. For now i have used a 6cm straight flange hot side so i can use the awd downpipe but i will upgrade this at a later date.
I have also aquired a race cat for the build.
Cheers Adam

Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
340GLT
Board Member

Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Volvo244GLE
Board Member

awesome, i cant think of a better combination for an 850 than AWD, manual and turbocharged.

244GLE Project - The fun daily driver. Rebuilt B23, ported 405, 37.5 exh. valves, BMW oil squirter's, MS2e, VX3 cam, King Springs, Bilstein HD's, upper+lower chassis braces, 26mm Falcon front sway bar, 21+19=24mm rear sway bar, SAAS bucket seats, hi flow rear muffler, almost every factory option.

164 Project - The impulse buy

242GT Project - who likes rust?
Volvo244GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
harribert
M90s are lame anyway

SUBSCRIBED.

I love having allcaps again. Loving the project; get the fail out of the eight fiddy
Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

awesome. My dream DD as well, nicely done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
www.brickspeed.net
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
volvorsport
Board Member

is the haldex part contained in the front ally section of the diff ?

muhahhahahhhahhaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
volvorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
VQ
Not such a PRVert Anymore

Man, you've just done what lots of people talk about doing on here, awesome!

hellastock
Speed Bumps? No Problem.

264 GLE RIP
88 740T wagon
2 x 1964 122s

88 760GLE
VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
340GLT
Board Member

Yeh the haldex is there. My plan is to get the thing on the road as is with new coupling sleeve from bevel gear to gearbox and see what she does. If/when it breaks I will look at a proper centre diff conversion and LSD front and rear.
Reading the characteristics of the AWD in a publicity blurb from Volvo it should be fun as standard if working correctly.
I have a broken gearbox that came originally with my doner car that I'm going to pull apart to see exactly how the drive gets to the coupling sleeve. As exploded diagrams fir the M58 box don't seem to exist!!
Thanks
Adam

Last edited by 340GLT; 04-09-2011 at 08:33 AM..
Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
volvorsport
Board Member

well , i thought that a 960 diff would slot in there , but the mountings look quite a bit different , perhaps the ally diff cover , could be transferred over .

ive been in an AWD R , it does nothing but understeer !!!!

get rid off the haldex , proper centre diff , now were talking !!

i think theyll make good donors for 3.3:1 rear ends aswell - did you have a look inside to see if the G80 is functioning ?
volvorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
340GLT
Board Member

As the viscous bolts to the diff with a standard prop flange, my future intention is to retain the aluminium housing with a custom prop inside so I retain the mounting for the diff on the viscous housing. The locker is working fine and shows no wear on the cw and pinion.
Proper centre diff is what I plan to do. Like I said I have a gearbox with screwed output to the coupling sleeve so I will pull that apart to work out a better way of doing things.
Adam
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Are all the mounts on the chassis in place for the AWD rear suspension on normal 850s?
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorsport View Post
well , i thought that a 960 diff would slot in there , but the mountings look quite a bit different , perhaps the ally diff cover , could be transferred over .

ive been in an AWD R , it does nothing but understeer !!!!

get rid off the haldex , proper centre diff , now were talking !!

i think theyll make good donors for 3.3:1 rear ends aswell - did you have a look inside to see if the G80 is functioning ?
Its a volvo of course it understeers.... Some good alignment, tires, and suspension tweaks and they can actually drive ok.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
340GLT
Board Member

No I made a jig on the pick up points on my awd doner car, then bolted the jig to my 2wd using the common 2wd suspension mounts which both 2 and 4wd shells have. Once bolted on I bolted the new suspension brackets I bought from Volvo and welded them on.
Adam
Old 04-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340GLT View Post
No I made a jig on the pick up points on my awd doner car, then bolted the jig to my 2wd using the common 2wd suspension mounts which both 2 and 4wd shells have. Once bolted on I bolted the new suspension brackets I bought from Volvo and welded them on.
Adam
k I didn't think all the mounting points were there, you can order the brackets that weld to the body from volvo? How much work was it to get them welded on?

Also, I assume your using an AWD gas tank now?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Johann
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
k I didn't think all the mounting points were there, you can order the brackets that weld to the body from volvo? How much work was it to get them welded on?

Also, I assume your using an AWD gas tank now?

AWD tank is needed yes.
Wanted to do a conversion a couple of years ago. Ordered the mounting brackets. Received half of them from Volvo with the remark that these items couldn't be ordered anymore. Received the other half of the parts from dealer stock. I wonder if they are still available.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #18
bakterius85
Board Member

Good looking project you got there Make it RWD that would be real cool
Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
340GLT
Board Member

Whilst building the 850 i killed my iphone. Only just realised a load of pics of the bracket fitting were lost on my backup phone so excuse the pic quality but i will upload anyway.
Adam

Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
340GLT
Board Member

I have been workig on this but have been way too lazy to update so here is an update:P
I have located and bought a new later M58 box which is mint and warranteed so all is good there.
I have taken the T5 engine out of the R and got it on a stand to sort the head gasket which is now done. All new genuine volvo gaskets all valves decoked, lapped in etc. I have also detailed the engine a fair bit and done the BTCC filler mod, just for the hell of it. Its now running a 960 throttle body and soon to be running blue injectors.
Engine should be going back in in the next couple of days as i have also swapped the 4wd Subframe into the R.

At the start of the project i bought some poly ARB bushes but when i looked the ARB brackets i had wouldnt work. I soon found out that 1993 brackets are required. As an added bonus i found the AWD had a thicker ARB too.
Anyways here are the pics.
Cheers Adam

Old 05-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #21
Josh
WHITEGOLDTEETHNOFLOSS

holy **** batman. i like this 850. alot.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
340GLT
Board Member

Well long time no update. I have had a bit of a nightmare with this one recently. I got the engine in fairly easily after swapping subframes. Once it was in i kept plodding along in the evenings after work etc getting bits put back in. As i have changed to a 98 onwards gearbox i needed to have a new clutch line made, i couldnt get one locally in a breakers so i grabbed an S40 one as it has the same ends and had some braided line made up for in between. The gearbox has had all new seals etc and a thorough cleaning.
I also got around to buying some MR2 poly gear linkage bushes, fited those and made myself a quickshift complete with aluminium turned gear leaver shaft. Fitted my ITG filter, then the problems started......
I mixed some coolant up and started filling the expansion bottle. When i realised it had taken nearly all required coolant but kept emptying the bottle, but no leaks. Strange so i left it till later that day and found a very wet and blue passenger footwell. Up under the dash i went as i relaised it must be the heater matrix. So i set about ripping all seats and carpet etc out before the coolant had stained everything. I used some carpet valet i have here scrubbed the carpets and pressure washed till water ran clean. Luckily Wales was having a rare type of weather... Sun... So everthing could dry quickly.
To be honest the carpets cleaned up much nicer than i ever imagined they would and the day after the carpets had been refitted the new matrix turned up. So armed with a cup of coffee i set to refitting tehy new one.
On tuesday the boost pipes turned up, so once i had cut the silicone and worked out the routing i got to painting the hard pipes as im not a fan of the bare polished alloy. Very very happy with how they turned out too.
Plus i did a bit of work on my mates T5 estate.
Got transfer box in today to make exhaust... pics to follow tommorow.
Thats all for now.
Cheers Adam

Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #23
CEHepp
FWDFTW

Woah woah woah woah woah...woah.... No passenger airbag!?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
340GLT
Board Member

Correct, now no driver airbag either....
Adam
Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #25
harribert
M90s are lame anyway

Dude there's something terribly wrong with your car!
harribert is offline   Reply With Quote