home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Default Jared's '79 244 Turbo Project: The Qwikbrik

Current Status: It's damn fun. I think I've succeeded in my goal of a fun, sleeper-esque DD that will move when I want it to. The T-5 is a dream to drive, and though I've got some areas to improve on, overall I'm pleased.

MegaSquirt II v3.57
Ford T5 Transmission
Wasted spark ignition (Chevy coil packs)
19TG at about 7 12 15 20 psi.
Runs pretty well, gets okay fuel mileage.
IPD Lowering/Sport springs with DeCarbon inserts in the front
Poly bushings on the front suspension with lower chassis/subframe braces
WootbarTM strut brace
Cut IPD Overloads in the back with KYB Gas-A-Justs
23MM front sway, stock rear
RSI Stage II Turbo camshaft
205/55 Yokohama S.Drives
3.73 rear end
530 head ported and polished, oversized exhaust valves.
DSM CAS on a Yoshifab CAS adapter-really nice piece of work.

Current Shot

I'm just getting going good on my project, so I figured that this would be a good time to start a project thread to help keep track of things. First off, the back story.

Several (about 8) years ago, my family had a '74 BMW 2002. The car was my dad's daily and never ceased to be troublesome. When it came time to axe that car, it was driven to Atlanta and sold to some poor sap. In exchange, my mom and dad bought this '79 244. It had been found by my uncle, who was given the car by his mechanic. My uncle then put approximately $1,000 into it getting it running good again. Then, the owner showed up at the shop demanding his car back...the car had been sitting for 2+ years because of unpaid shop fees, and had legally become the property of the shop who had given it to my uncle. My uncle then found and contacted the original owner, who had believed he was doing a good thing by giving the second owner the car as cheap transportation. After weeks of angry phone calls, my uncle and the original owner convinced the second owner that giving his clothes out of the trunk (that had been in there for 2+ years as well) would be a suitable substitute for the car itself. After all this, my mom drove the car back to Charlotte, where it has resided since.

We used the car for awhile as a spare and occasional daily, and when I turned 16, it became my car. I started to mess with it a little; fixing nagging issues, sprucing up the interior, etc. I drove it through high school stocky stock until a friend of mine rolled a stop sign behind me and cracked the passenger side taillight and pushed in the rear valance. A friendly insurance adjuster gave us $1200 for the car, and totaled it. We kept the car.

The insurance money purchased another Volvo, our '97 855. For about a year, the '79 sat at my grandfather's house in Huntersville. I would go over there occasionally and start the car and drive it a little just to keep things in working order. Christmas of 2010, my dad took the car to a local independent Volvo mechanic, and he got it running again. At last I was back with my car.

I drove the car for about a year until this past April, when the K-jetz finally bit the dust. A faulty ECT sensor caused the car to run like complete crap in closed-loop mode, but like a bat out of hell in open loop. Instead of throwing more money at a 30 year old system, I decided that it was high time to start my project.

Parts started being accumulated, and plans laid out. The ultimate goal for this car is to have a fun, streetable weekend car that will suprise 5.0 fords and F-bodies on the road. Huge power isn't my ultimate goal. A fun, solid, well handling, quick car is.

The base of the build is below:

'93 B230F block (got it)
Ported/polished 530 head, possibly with larger valves. I haven't made that decision yet. (Have head, needs to be assembled)
RSI Stage II Turbo cam (still need. I hate I missed the sale)
Megasquirt MS3X (almost saved up)
90+ Manifold (have)
15G (have)
Ford WC T5 (Purchasing from Vince/TerribleOne. Deposit sent)
Modded G80 rear (have gears, need to mod)
Billys all the way around (still need)
IPD SS brake flex lines (have)
Yoshifab DSM CAS adapter (have)
And a bunch of other stuff I've probably forgotten.

As far as a timeline, I'd love to have the car driveable by SE-X, but if not, it's not a big deal, It'll just have to wait another year to be heebed.

Anyway, on to the pics.

Spring break, the garage in my grandmother's basement was cleared as much as possible, and the car moved in. Below are some pictures of the limited progress. I've only been home from school since Sunday. Planning on yanking the B21+M46 this Sat/Sun. Stay tuned for K-jet selloff.

Car in the basement. Fvuck that support post.

Ewww dirty block

Several hours later...mostly clean. Still some touch up to do.

Everything was cool til this...took out the drain petcock to mount my 93+ oil cooler, and the port was clogged.

Parts shelf

GM coil came today! Yay!

Boo...

And that's all for now folks. I'm pulling the oil pan tomorrow to examine the innards and weld a drain bung in the pan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
turn the ignition timing up til it's faster than eamon's miata, then replace the shortblock #wootenthings

My Project (It's a 1979 244DL...sort of.)
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo,
1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855

Last edited by propav8r; 09-24-2013 at 11:25 AM..
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
CalvinM
Car Addict

Saw this today and he's got the building blocks for a nice clean build. You just need to piece it together Jared. I want pics if you take the b21F out.
CalvinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
alexm963
Board Member

Front end setup looks baller. And the white with red stripe looks good too.
'80 242 DL RESTOMOD/RACECAR
FOR SALE Lot of good stuff! Make offers on any of it!
alexm963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
mavawreck
The son of Chico Dusty

Ive seen this car in person and it is going to be a really clean build when he is done. Glad you are getting to do it.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinM View Post
Saw this today and he's got the building blocks for a nice clean build. You just need to piece it together Jared. I want pics if you take the b21F out.
Will do. I'm pulling it today-just gotta go by Pull-a-part and cut out some seatbelts to lift it with. Should've done that yesterday, but I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm963 View Post
Front end setup looks baller. And the white with red stripe looks good too.
Thanks. The stripe is actually painted on, like an old handpainted sign. It's coming off and will be redone. The passenger side is ratty. I've got some old style single round surrounds, but I really think I'm going to be sticking with the quad rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavawreck View Post
Ive seen this car in person and it is going to be a really clean build when he is done. Glad you are getting to do it.
Thanks man. I'm stoked too. I've been wanting to do something to it for awhile, and now I finally have the ability to.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Manbeard
#helpbrock2k16

im excited to see this car come apart knowing how awesome it will be when you're done! i think you should keep the quad rounds..your car is one of two cars that look badass with them. not saying that because i think they're awesome means you should keep them haha, i think they just go with the whole look of the car. i love it.

Manbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Haha thanks Stephen. I know your real opinion of quad rounds

I think I'll be putting hydras on it at first just to gain some tire. Eventually, I'd really like to find a set of Arrakis wheels, but that's farther down the road at the moment. Another grand I don't have right now.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Well, my dad and I got the motor pulled today.

Time to buy stock in Purple Power.

Last edited by propav8r; 05-15-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

Graaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!
John 3:16
For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son, that whomsoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
DNAsEqUeNcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
RMB
Board Member

Wow, nice car.
Was the body damage ever fixed? Would you happen to have any more photos of the entire car? Looks ridiculously clean, and the red stripe is quite fetching. Looks like a fun project!
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
slow240
Home Schooled

glad to see you diving into this project so hard, i cant wait to see it done, i loved seeing it in IPDs newsletter, i showed it to all my friend and told them i knew you

ps, im sorry i still havent had a chance to mail off that console, i just got laid off
ill get you an estimate asap (seeing as ill have a whole lot more time on my hands )

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Wow, nice car.
Was the body damage ever fixed? Would you happen to have any more photos of the entire car? Looks ridiculously clean, and the red stripe is quite fetching. Looks like a fun project!
No, body damage isn't fixed yet. Hopefully, it will be soon. The camera is kind...what you don't see is the messed up passenger side stripe from a bradford pear tree falling on it 4 years ago in an ice storm (there's pictures of that around here somewhere), the dent in the passenger rear door from where the shop in Atlanta lost the keys and took to moving the car with a forklift, the rust spots at the rear fender/buttcheek seam, and a few other imperfections. Also annoying is the fact that somewhere along the line, the hood, roof, trunk, and passenger rear fender were repainted with a non-matching color. It's just a couple of shades off, but it doesn't wax nearly as well and bugs me to no end. The car has it's rough spots, but is largely rust free. The floors and rocker panels are solid, and the car hasn't been in a serious wreck.

The stripe is actually two tone...red on top and like a purplish-red on the bottom. Kinda cool. Defiantly sets the car apart.

Thanks for the kind words though

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
glad to see you diving into this project so hard, i cant wait to see it done, i loved seeing it in IPDs newsletter, i showed it to all my friend and told them i knew you

ps, im sorry i still havent had a chance to mail off that console, i just got laid off
ill get you an estimate asap (seeing as ill have a whole lot more time on my hands )

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
Hey, no worries man. I totally understand. Life comes first. If you moved down to Charlotte, you could probably have a job in a day at the same company I'm working at this summer.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #13
Dirk242
Board Member

Will follow this one. Always liked your car!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk242 View Post
Will follow this one. Always liked your car!
Thanks. You have no idea how close I've come to spraybombing my car brown.

Pulled the trans off the motor today. Pilot bearing and throwout bearing were in almost new shape, and the clutch disk had plenty of life left. Pressure plate wasn't cracked. After so many miles, I was surprised to say the least. Flywheel is out, and will be headed to the machine shop soon.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Sir Psycho
holstrich 2.0

Just found your thread, nice work so far!

Let me know if you ever need an extra hand in there.

1995 940 Turbo:
531 head, Holset HE351 @ 20 psi, Emusa External Wastegate w/screamer, Mild Steel Header, 4" Downpipe, Ostrich Emulator, IPD Turbo Cam, TTR Cam Gear, Big Piping and Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, V8 T5 soon, Synapse Synchronic BOV, AEM Wideband, 18" Pegasus, B&G Springs, Billy HD's, Chassis Bracing, Sumimoto HTR ZIII 225/40/18
Sir Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho View Post
Just found your thread, nice work so far!

Let me know if you ever need an extra hand in there.
Thanks. I'll probably host some sort of cookout in a couple months or so. Grill n chill deal.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Sir Psycho
holstrich 2.0

Sounds good. You know I'm game for a meet ASAP.
Sir Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
olov
doing something stupid

is that the same one you drove to the meets/SE/etc last year? looks like a different car, much better

kinda want to throw quad rounds on my wagon.....
Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Yup. Same car.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
Volv-what-o
Board Member

I am so ready for the car to be done. I miss the sunroof.
Volv-what-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #21
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volv-what-o View Post
I am so ready for the car to be done.
Lol. It'll never be "done," always a work in progress.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #22
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

I finally did something about lighting in my shop. Much more better now.

Apparently, once upon a time, my car used an external voltage regualtor. Who knew?

Also, in cleaning and prepping the oil pan for paint, I found these things in several places. Rock hits? Metal fatigue? Anybody ever seen this before?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Those are rust "spiders" that form when the paint is chipped off in a small area, probably from rocks as you said. The freshly exposed metal rusts quickly, but then the rust continues to spread outwards underneath the good paint around the chip. I guess that's why they call it the tin worm. I found a whole bunch of 'em when I stripped the paint off the front end of my '66 VW.

Use a flap wheel or wire wheel and clean them up; I think you'll find there isn't any real damage to the pan. You can treat them with some type of rust killer if you don't want them coming back (ospho, phosphoric acid, POR-15 "metal ready" for example).
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Heh-learn something every day. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Poik
Backwards Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
Africa? Looks like this will be a great project, keep it up.

Eric Olsson's 242 Turbo | 245 DL | 744 Turbo
Poik is offline   Reply With Quote