home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
volvogeek
Board Member

Default The (Ugly) Yellow Yeti

The 1983 245 DL I bought from Ross for my friend Jenn is currently in my possession as I work out some of it's quirks. It was originally dubbed, 'Yellow Box a Go-Go', but after having multiple issues that left it unable to leave the Portland area at all on the way to Seattle, it was renamed 'The Ugly Yellow Yeti'.

Thus far we (myself, Jenn and John Laughlin) have replaced the alternator, Battery to Alt cable, fuel pump, starter, and I fixed the engine harness after I inadvertently caused an little fire in the engine bay with brake cleaner. It still needs a few things, not the least of which is a bit of rust repair, but I think now it has fairly good potential.

The first few pics are when it was at my parents place, just having had the starter replaced (thanks Harald!), and cutting springs and installing my Thors off of the project car. The wheel swap was to try and diagnose another noise that is semi drowned out by the wintery 185/14's that were on the Yeti. Because DAMN, it's loud in that car when you're doing 75 - whereas Betty is fairly quiet for a 315k 240 with rust holes and bad weatherstripping.

Fresh from purchase.

A little more fixed up.

Crappy pic with a little lowering and Thors. I also put on a deeper chin spoiler, as it came with the really shallow one.

And a sporty seat!

Looks a little better with new shoes. The front springs are cut 2 coils, and it's STILL riding high. :shock:

SO...I cut another whole coil on the front and 2.5 on the rear. As well as swapping in '86 struts (with vented rotors and calipers) and bleeding the brakes...badly. The only way to bleed brakes correctly is with 4 jack stands and a motive power bleeder. Unfortunately my jack stands are under the maroon car and I was too tired after wrenching all day to bleed in the proper order. Car stops fine but it's not as good as I'm used to. It'll have to do until my next day off though.

This car SO needs a flathood.

The strut swap got rid of the noise that it was making in the front, definitely needed some new bearings (or a good grease repack).

Then I traded for another set of shoes...

Me likey. Crappy pic while we were at the dog park - it rained the day after I put them on so I haven't had a chance to wash the car nor find a good place to showcase it.

Project goals for now are just to make the thing look good, handle fairly well and be a reliable driver.
volvogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
cookiemonster
Board Member

loving it!

2001 f250 powerstroke, 535hp 715tq
1983 c30 dually, 350/350 6/8 drop
91 240, m47, ipd springs, sweet cone filter!
cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Ansel+
ABG

Looking good. How are you liking Harald's old seat?
Ansel+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
fcpgroton
Board Member

The rims make it look so much better.
fcpgroton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
volvogeek
Board Member

Stance and wheels do indeed make the car.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Brandon
Board Member

You figure out whats up with that wind noise? My wagon is the same way, I suspect the windshield seal but i'm afraid if I call a glass company they're just going to pull the old one out to discover tons of rust underneath....

I do like where this wagon is going though.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Nas

Ive seen this wagon around!
I spotted it in the blockbuster parking lot on capitol hill back in september, and shot a quick cell phone pic of it to show my lady. I was into the thors and mild drop.

(Since then, we've picked up an 83 turbo wagon for her)
Nas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
volvogeek
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas View Post
Ive seen this wagon around!
I spotted it in the blockbuster parking lot on capitol hill back in september, and shot a quick cell phone pic of it to show my lady. I was into the thors and mild drop.

(Since then, we've picked up an 83 turbo wagon for her)
Hahah yeah that was us - we parked there when we went to Movies in the Park (for Footloose!)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
volvogeek
Board Member

Minor update because I'm bored at work and I've done some stuff.

In the process of converting the lights to LEDs. eBay has some great deals on led lighting, let me tell you. However most of them are off in china/hong kong, so you'll wait a while for everything to arrive. The exterior lighting is all done with the exception of the license plate lights, and after I get some measurements on those and the interior bulbs I'll be ordering them. The main reason for going this route was to cut down on the heat that regular incandescents put out. I may need to replace my taillights due to melting that occurred on the lower housing. I drive with my lights on at all times, so the running lights get quite warm.

Get the kind on the right, not the ones on the left, even if they cost a bit more.

Interior-wise, I'm trying to decide on whether to go with red or blue, mainly because I installed the radio out of Moo-Moo today, and the faceplate is all blue LEDs.

On another note, I absolutely HATE it when installers cut the harness behind the factory radio harness. If you're taking the old radio out, cut the harness AFTER the connector on the radio side, ffs. If you need to add extra speakers to the harness, put another connector next to the old one (see above pic). It's not like it's any more difficult, and you're just being a douche for the sake of being a douche. Fixed:

Todo list for the now:
  • Cut bump stops
  • Install projector highbeams/city lights
  • wire up turbo cluster
  • finish interior lighting
  • replace clutch

Last edited by volvogeek; 12-30-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
volvogeek
Board Member

From the todo list, I've cut the stops and installed the projector highbeams. Still have to do the city light portion of the headlights though.

The bumpstops didn't help my issues, and apparently I've blown one of the bils. D'oh. So I'll probably pick up a set of those Estonian koni knockoffs and see how they work while assembling the parts for some cheap coilovers so I can put some heavier springs up front. And then send the bilsteins off for revalving and reconditioning.

Highbeam projectors installed:

They look alright but the light output pretty much stinks. I may need to aim them better, my driveway isn't exactly level. I got them for the citylight portion for the most part anyway, so I'll wire those up after I get some relays for the rest of the headlight system. Maybe I'll get a few more lumens out of it afterwards.

I also started welding up a new exhaust. The resonator got a nice hole in it after I welded up the butt joint, and I'm not good enough to weld that thin metal that the stock exhaust is made out of. I had a bunch of 3" bends and most of a 3" side-exit laying around so I thought I'd give a full 3" over-axle exhaust a try. Here's what I've got thus far:

Doesn't seem like much but that was a couple of hours of work! I wanted to get things tucked up nice and tight because the car is pretty low. And I modified the stock NA downpipe to transition to a 3", and that took a while. Towery was right, it's a long process - fit, tack, pull, weld, fit, grind, fit, tack, pull, weld, rinse, repeat, wipe hands on pants.

It looks pretty good under there. Still need to attach it to the front and go over the axle (with v-band).

The DP is quite low there, I'm not sure what I'm going to do to make it transition up. I might use a flex piece, but I'm almost thinking I'd get a couple of 1.5" (or whatever the OD of the 2 smaller pipes are), cut the DP before it turns down and make it straight. Then a butt clamp and a short piece of 3" to connect to the cat and I'm done.

The muffler shown is probably too small for the NA. However, right now it's all I've got on-hand and I'm going to have it exit out the passenger side. If it turns out to be too loud, I'll get a larger one and put it in the stock rear location with little effort. After I get it all done I'll grind down the welds a little bit and paint it high-temp flat black - mainly so that it doesn't rust.

LEDification is still ongoing. PWM dimmer switches arrived today, I'll have to modify them a tad to make the end longer and fit the volvo knob, but that's small beans. One of these days I should make a bodywork plan since it seems like this car is quickly becoming mine and I'd like it to look nice in the long term.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
valvesprung
Board Member

Hey! Those are my old Mutli-X's I did the original refinish on them. Saw you around town a week or so ago, they look great on the wagon man.

valvesprung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
volvogeek
Board Member

I always loved the way your maroon wagon looked, Jordan. Funny that our rear wipers are in the same configuration - non-operational! ;) I do need to black out my trim and front end though, Betty looks MUCH better with them all black.

So I decided to scrap the single small muffler idea and grabbed a 3" 2-chamber offset muffler on eBay. It's still going over-axle, and the front muffler will provide a little more...muffling. I'll also be doing the stock-type S-turn outlet a la wennströma's 242 build:

Though I'll be painting the whole exhaust from manifold back in a high-temp flat black. V-band at the axle and band clamp after the DP to keep it semi-modular. I should be under $200 all told for the exhaust, but only because the mufflers and high-flow 3" bullet cat were semi-expensive (I could have bought cheaper but wanted a certain style).

I cut the bump stops but unfortunately I think I blew out a strut on some REALLY horrible speed bumps at my GF's workplace. Went over one a little too fast and I knew there was going to be repercussions. No worries though, I'm going to try my hand at making a set of short strut coilovers here shortly and I'll up the spring rate some as well as gain some travel. In the meantime I decided to give the Estonian Koni Knockoffs a shot. At $90 for a set, I'm willing to see how they work.

LED conversion continues - the biggest problem I'm having on the interior front is that the bulbs that fit in the holes aren't bright enough, and the ones that are bright enough don't fit. With one notable exception:

Finally found a good vendor for the cluster lights. The SMD LED's are hands over fist brighter than the standard domed plastic type. This was definitely the case for the exterior turn signal lights, but I thought that because of the lower lumen requirement for the interior that it wouldn't be as much of a problem. I was wrong - get the SMD version, like the one on the right (in both pics):

I'm hoping to have a comprehensive list of what you need to convert your 240 to LEDs here shortly. A WIP list is available over on OVT if you want to take a look while I'm working on it.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
PEGASUS 6
Board Member

keep it up
PEGASUS 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

My goodness it's ugly.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
volvogeek
Board Member

I work graveyard, so I'm driving to work at night, and then driving home in the morning while it's still dark. So that meant lighting upgrade.

Hella H4 Ecodes ftw. I can SEE! I wasn't sure how well the 4x6's would work after using the 86+ ecodes, but damn these are nice. I also picked up a bunch of relays and ceramic H4 connectors, so I'll be creating a good wiring harness for them in the next week or so to give myself an extra couple of volts at the lamps.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
thebornotaku
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What kind of bulbs are you running? Halogens or HIDs?

I'm probably gonna get some of those Hella Ecodes with my tax return.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #17
volvogeek
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebornotaku View Post
What kind of bulbs are you running? Halogens or HIDs?

I'm probably gonna get some of those Hella Ecodes with my tax return.
The pics above are just with stock halogens, but I'm going to install the HIDz I bought for the '86 ecodes here in the next couple of days. I'll take another pic to see if/how the light output changes.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
volvogeek
Board Member

The litmus test for me and upgraded lighting has always been if someone in the opposite lane flashes their brights at me. If they don't do that, then they don't see a problem with my lights and I'm good. It's not a great indicator as it relies on others to be blinded and angry, but hey - when people are blinded and angry at least they let you know. When I was still running stock bulbs in yellowed-out 86+ lenses, I could keep my brights on all the time. I think I got flashed ONCE in 6 months or so.

So now, HIDs in proper Hella H4 housings... Driving down a 2-lane road at night, with lots of traffic passing, and they passed my litmus test. I think I *might* have been flashed once, but it could also have been an auto-levelling HID catching me at the wrong moment. I swear I'm putting down more light than the car 2 lengths ahead of me.

The glare you see above the cutoff in this pic is from the projector highs - I had a wiring issue and they had to be on 'bright' to be in the lows position.

Brights - I still haven't experienced these because I still have a minor lighting issue that I haven't had a chance to rectify. Lows work fine, brights, not so much.

And a pretty good shot of the red LED gauges I've got going on. The bright light outside the car let the camera take a nice interior shot.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
volvogeek
Board Member

Some exhaust progress over the past couple of days...

Cut old DP, add some straight 1.875" OD pipe...

See how it fits - wood block is there because I hadn't tightened the nut holding the DP up.

Rear muffler fitting.

The S-bend!

Over the axle and the v-band.

Over-axle from behind the wheel side.

Here you can kinda see where I'm off with the v-band. It's about a quarter inch at the top when everything is pushed together.

I'm about 95% done, the v-band isn't quite lining up like I'd like so I'll revisit that the next time I get a chance to work on it. Also need to make the passenger side engine mount out of a hockey puck as the DP isn't quite as low as I wanted. It hits on the tranny mount, I thought there'd be just enough room but I was mistaken. Bear in mind that I'm reusing and cutting the old pipe I'd welded for a side-exit, so some of the pipes look pretty rough. Not to mention I'm a noob welder using a flux core welder. All of the exhaust is just tacked together at this point too - I knew this wasn't going to be a quick and easy operation so I wanted to make it easy on myself. Hopefully as I start to weld things together I'll get better at it.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #20
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

hmm, that looks good. nice to see you back on your feet again.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #21
volvogeek
Board Member

As mentioned, I bought the highbeam projectors for the citylights (for the most part). I finally got around to installing the lights and hooking everything up...and so I made a video!

Projectors now have citylights, and are wired to double as turn signals.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #22
volvogeek
Board Member

After a little accident, a new rear hatch was in order. Finally got that installed today.

Had a little rust, and as I started taking it apart there was more than I had initially spied so all of the bright yellow is where I painted to abate further oxidation - after sanding/wire wheeling. Since I was being productive, I also installed keyless entry. I should have done this a long time ago.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #23
volvogeek
Board Member

Picked up a straight yellow flathood earlier this week. Hood had a couple of rust spots that needed attention so I'm working on that prior to installation. Nothing really major just a bit of surface rust along the front and under the lip. One half-dollar sized area that needs a little more attention but I'll pick up some metal-ready after wire wheeling the **** out of it and make it all pretty for paint.

Back in my younger days I had a wink 5-panel rearview mirror that I'd move from car to car I loved it so much. They were all the rage back then and at some point they fell out of favor and I couldn't for the life of me find them after I finally lost mine. Fast forward to a few months ago while I was updating wishlists on Amazon for xmas and birthday, and lo and behold I found them. Picked one up and got around to installing it today. Went MUCH quicker than I expected, I remembered it being a PITA in every other car I'd had due to the plastic mounting ears. This version has metal ears and my wagon has metal screws to hold in the trim around the inner windshield that just HAPPENED to be the correct spacing. Install time - 10 minutes. Blindspots are gone (not that I really had any but now I don't really even have to turn my head to see them):

I think nowadays these are really only used in race applications. I remember not being able to use the visors either, but with this one everything is perfect. I love it.

Oh and I remembered I need to get a grommet/plug of some kind for the wiper hole on the hatch - unless I can find a 90+ sprayer assy for this one, as I need to tear off the body sprayer to reinstall a tailgate shock mount...
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #24
professor245
Board Member

Good God that a rear-view mirror LOL

My seller/buyer feedback
professor245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #25
volvogeek
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor245 View Post
Good God that a rear-view mirror LOL
Isn't it though? Takes a little getting used to but after a while you pretty much don't have to use your side-view mirrors any more.

More updates! Rear suspension, exhaust fixes as well as front suspension, oh boy!

Semi-fixed exhaust, still have a leak at the manifold/DP, but the rest of them are gone.

This was the big one, the band clamp is for 3" ID or OD, not and. I cut off about a half inch of the ID pipe and added about the same of OD pipe so that everything would fit together nicely. The other welding spots visible are pinholes that I missed on the initial weld.

That little protrusion on the pumpkin was banging up against the over-axle pipe. I cut and rewelded the pipe, it doesn't bang on the pumpkin anymore.

Changed the S-pipe, it was rubbing and this was the most expedient fix. Plus nice high-temp black paint for stealth.

From the back, albeit a lil blurry.

A little suspension work - swapped out the old shocks for the estonian konis. I like them, they're much better on rebound than the Bilstein HD's and work very well with the 250# eibachs springs (see above, red springs)

Old shocks, believe it or not this is after the one on the top had been sitting after being compressed for about a half hour.

...a day passes...

Okay I've got more exhaust work to do... I found a spot where the panhard bar bolt/grommet is bumping the exhaust. So I've fixed the pumpkin protrusion, and have more to fix. NEXT time I'll plan for these things in advance.

After installing the new struts. This is why short struts will be next on my list.

I didn't realize at the time I started installing these roll correction spacers how much of a PITA they'd be. I was just going to put the estonian struts in, but thought that while I was tearing into the front end, might as well, huh?

It wasn't until I ran into a couple of problems did I realize that yes, these things HAD been discussed in Ben's thread, and yes you have to remove the brake covers and if you use stock steering holes you need bigger wheels. I need to see if I can find different tie rod ends because I ended up with a TON of toe-out and only after bringing them in until they bound up was it even remotely close to zero. There's still a tad bit of toe-out and the rack isn't centered but it's not horrible. After I pick up stuff from iPd I'll take it in and get it aligned so everything is all pretty as well as functional.

Working on short struts as well as installing the 28/25 swaybars is next on the docket.