• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 Winter tires for my 960

1990_745_16V

Hey guys, I have a 1994 960 sedan and I am trying to figure out what the OE tire size is so I can get some winter tires before it snows too much. The PO said he got the tires I have now a little larger than original ans since then the sticker telling the tire size has peeled off. Can anyone help with what size tire I should buy?

OE is a 195/65/15. I'm currently running a 205/60/15, but I'd probably recommend OE size for a snow tire so long as the price is similar.

I think my V90's handling braking, acceleration with snow-tires is about the same or better as wife's AWD with all-seasons. Mine does have the locker though.

I think my V90's handling braking, acceleration with snow-tires is about the same or better as wife's AWD with all-seasons. Mine does have the locker though.

My 960 wagon ROCKS AND ROLLS in the snow with my Blizzaks. Cold weather package with the locker. I was pulling four wheel drive trucks out of the snow last year. It's ****ing unstoppable.

As for the OP question; yes, OEM size snow tires are what you want. Get all four!! Don't skimp and only get two. You want them on all four corners, trust me. Tire Rack has great deals on snow tires. I prefer Bridgestone Blizzaks, myself. VERY good tire for the money. All of Bridgestone's tires are great tires, actually.

I run Blizzack WS60 195s on mine (10mm narrower than stock). I have an S90 with the winter package (locker). I climb nasty hills and pass stuck cars left and right. Sometimes I stop on the hill behind them, wait and then drive around. The looks of hate are awesome.

I got General snows. They are noisy as hell, but with good reviews on Tirerack (8.5 out of 10).

Unlike All-Seasons, most snow tires had positive reviews. Tire mfr should really add an asterisk for their All-Season -- "not recommended for snow or ice." Snow 2 weeks ago, I saw at least 2 cars hit parked cars, dent the shiit out of them, and drive off. IIRC, in Canada it is illegal to drive with AS in the winter.

My 960 wagon ROCKS AND ROLLS in the snow with my Blizzaks. Cold weather package with the locker.

Same with my 965, but I have A/S M&S rated Yokohama YK 520 195/65-15's, which performed admirably in the big blizzard of last Christmas as I left CT with 4" of snow on the ground comming down fast, and drove through 1 1/2 ft of snow all the way to Tennessee border enroute to Texas.

As important as tread, or more important is the tire compound, which needs to be high silica compound as the tire gets stickier as the temperature drops.

Wow, thanks for all the info guys! As of last year I have some crappy BFG tires on there now (radials IIRC) and my car SUCKED in the snow! Now, one last question does my car have a locker in it? its a 1994 964 with IRS. Don't know if it has the cold weather package (I assume it does as the car has heated seats and heated mirrors) but I am not certain. Anyone shed some light on this for me?

Wow, thanks for all the info guys! As of last year I have some crappy BFG tires on there now (radials IIRC) and my car SUCKED in the snow! Now, one last question does my car have a locker in it? its a 1994 964 with IRS. Don't know if it has the cold weather package (I assume it does as the car has heated seats and heated mirrors) but I am not certain. Anyone shed some light on this for me?

Should have the G80 locker, all Volvo RWD had them from '93-on IIRC, at least all 900 series did.

Do you have the outside temperature display on the dash with the snowflake light? If yes, you have the Cold Weather Package for sure, and therefore the Locking Diff.

Back