• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How hard is doing a rack?

coonmanx

I spoke with someone today who used to own an '84 and he had changed the rack out on his and said that it was a fairly easy job. I can get a warranty replacement on mine so the part is free. What are the steps involved? I know that you have to unhook the tie rod ends (no big deal there). I also know that there are two U-bolts that hold the sucker down. Obviously you have to also unbolt the steering shaft and remove the hoses. I haven't had a chance to look at the Haynes manual yet. Also I am trying to see if I can locate a garage to do the job in. I cut the belt the other day because it was gushing fluid out and blowing it everywhere. I tried to drive it like that today but it was almost impossible. It would be a shame to not replace it since I get the new rack for free. They just never expect you to cash in on the lifetime warranty.

If anyone can list the steps I would appreciate it.

You pretty much have it. I would just get the car realigned afterwards, or at least get the toe rechecked.

The hard part, in my opinion, after having swapped a rack no less than 4 times in my driveway, is lining up the lower u-joint and pushing the steering shaft back into the wobbling, swiveling, moving u-joint. It's a bit tricky. I think the job is easy overall, but sometimes frustrating. On a lift, it would be really easy.

U-bolt and two bolts on the other side (or maybe two u-bolts). tie rod ends, remove bolt(s) from u-joints. Center the rack, tap a flat blade screwdriver into the u-joint where it's split so it's held apart, then the splined shaft should go in/out more easily.

The hard part, in my opinion, after having swapped a rack no less than 4 times in my driveway, is lining up the lower u-joint and pushing the steering shaft back into the wobbling, swiveling, moving u-joint. It's a bit tricky. I think the job is easy overall, but sometimes frustrating.- SNIP -

like "herding CATS"..or "stacking BB's"??? :nod:

all those "fine grooves" and "wiggley ends" thrasing about in that
DARK HOLE that is JUST OUT OF SIGHT ??....

(in his BEST "Arnold voice:) "I LAUGH at your lamentations....":rofl:
\BTDT got the Tee Shirt/
\ it's what sets us /
\ apart from all /
\ the other /
\ dudes /
:lol:

Yeah, aligning the splines on the lower u-joint is the most difficult task. Just pay attention to wear the notch is and it should slide in pretty easily. Maybe if someone was in the cabin to steady the wheel, it'd be a bit easier.

like "herding CATS"..or "stacking BB's"??? :nod:

all those "fine grooves" and "wiggley ends" thrasing about in that
DARK HOLE that is JUST OUT OF SIGHT ??....

(in his BEST "Arnold voice:) "I LAUGH at your lamentations....":rofl:
\BTDT got the Tee Shirt/
\ it's what sets us /
\ apart from all /
\ the other /
\ dudes /
:lol:

Are you drunk? What the hell are you talking about?

The hard part, in my opinion, after having swapped a rack no less than 4 times in my driveway, is lining up the lower u-joint and pushing the steering shaft back into the wobbling, swiveling, moving u-joint. It's a bit tricky. I think the job is easy overall, but sometimes frustrating. On a lift, it would be really easy.

+1 to this, everything else about the job is easy. Getting the u-joints realigned while you're trying to get the rack into place is the one big PITA.

I just have one question about what is meant by "centering the rack". Does that mean getting it in place so that it lines up with the steering shaft or does it mean making sure that it turns an equal amount to the right and to the left.

I don't think it really matters, actually. The steering wheel will keep turning around and around while the rack is disconnected, orientation doesn't matter. There's a spot on the steering shaft that aligns it with the lower u-joint. So don't worry about it, just get the steering shaft lined up right in the u-joint when you put it back together and it'll be fine. You may need to adjust the tie rods to align, but that comes after you have it back in and bolted up.

- SNIP -
Are you drunk? What the hell are you talking about?

reference:
Quote:
(Originally Posted by towerymt)
< The hard part, in my opinion, after having swapped a rack no less than 4 times in my driveway, is lining up the lower u-joint and pushing the steering shaft back into the wobbling, swiveling, moving u-joint. It's a bit tricky. I think the job is easy overall, but sometimes frustrating.- SNIP - close quote>

>like "herding CATS"..or "stacking BB's"???
all those "fine grooves" and "wiggley ends" thrashing about in that
DARK HOLE that is JUST OUT OF SIGHT ??.... <

as in the poor bastard that decides to do this in the drive on jack-stands in the cold...
a FRUSTRATING ENTERPRISE *just like herding cats or stacking bb's*...
are you with me so far??

>(in his BEST "Arnold voice "I LAUGH at your lamentations...."
\BTDT got the Tee Shirt/
\ it's what sets us /
\ apart from all /
\ the other /
\ dudes / <

see *ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER* in CONAN the BARBARIAN when he describes
the "lamentations of your women"..it is an HILARIOUS scene and Arnold's ACCENT is
what makes it so funny....:nod:

I have DONE THE DEED *IN THE DRIVE / CAR ON STANDS / ON MY BACK / IN
THE FREEZING DARK / BY MYSELF*
it most assuredly *IS* what sets those of us who HAVE done so apart from the "other
dudes"....:)

next time..take a pass..just disregard my posts..you seem to have a negative opinion
of me and it shows....let us agree to disagree and I'll not impinge upon your supposed
rectitude...fair enough?? :omg:

Back