• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Compound Turbocharging A Volvo B230FT

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevE85

Formerly 1983_242
NOW FOR SALE, SEE PAGE 26.

Okay, so basically this is going to be a thread for me to keep track of my compound turbo setup I'm fabricating for my 242. Not much to say so far as I am still in the parts collecting phase and fabrication phase on my parts car. My car is a 1983 242 with a B23/M46 in it now. I have a B230FT, T5 (Still need adapter and clutch junk), MS2, a China GT45, a TD04HL-16T, 60mm wastegate, and a bunch of other go fast stuff that I can't think of off hand. Here's the project so far, the header is near completion and the 16T is mounted. Still lots of plumbing to go but you'll get the idea from the pics.

Goals are a lagless 600+WHP B230 powered 242.

ENJOY.

-Steve

img20120216164723.jpg

img20120216164711.jpg

img20120216164653.jpg

img20120216164644.jpg

img20120216164353.jpg

img20120216164342.jpg

img20120216164327.jpg

img20120216164317.jpg

img20120216164308.jpg

Last edited:
so the little turbo goes first?

/benchrace
Wouldn't the small turbo significantly decrease the exhaust velocity? I'd imagine the large turbo not affecting the velocity of exhaust gas as much.
/benchrace

so the little turbo goes first?

/benchrace
Wouldn't the small turbo significantly decrease the exhaust velocity? I'd imagine the large turbo not affecting the velocity of exhaust gas as much.
/benchrace

2218202935.gif

Picture the top one in the picture as the 16T and the one underneath the GT45. The system will pull air through the GT45, and compress it into the 16T, which then goes to the IC. On the exhaust side, the 16T is first inline with a 60mm external WG that diverts exhaust straight to the GT45's exh. housing along with the DP of the 16T. Then there is another 44mm WG for the GT45 that will have an atmospheric dump, The GT45's DP will connect to my exhaust system.

This picture is slightly different because it's designed for a Cummins, the turbos are internally gated.

Staying 8 valve?
Plans for head work?

I'll be watching this...

Hell yeah it's 8V!!!! Mark at SVS R&D is porting and polishing a fresh head I got, also mild chamber work to lower compression a bit. Leaving stock valves for now, I really am looking forward to seeing what it'll do. I'm also fabricating an intake for it with some bits that I got from Nathan. The car should end up pretty wild.

Ill be watching this too. I thought about this project the other day when i couldnt form the 1pc runners anymore! For some reason they want to collapse and look like a squiggly line!

Cool. There are a couple of prototype supra setups like this that apparently work really well once they are set up right. The only question mark to me is at what point the 16T compressor housing will start to become a restriction for the GT45. I know the few supra kits developed this way had that struggle.

Always great to see someone trying to actually build something cool. :cheers:

good luck, i would have gone for a sc/turbo twincharge mix, but if you know how to plumb this stuff up go to it

and i would think you'd need bypasses on both hot and cold side of the 16t to prevent chokepoints

Have you though about running a massive one-way check valve in front of the GT45, So that once it starts sucking more air than the 16T is providing it can just pull straight from atmosphere? :ninja: bench ninja to the rescue!

That's not the motor I would try to do that on. I'm not surprised he blew it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back