home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
weak-sauce
Board Member

Question seafoam

your thoughts on seafoam.? would you add to oil, fuel or both.? thinking about tossing in a bottle in my 88 240 n/a w/150xxx miles
weak-sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Snake oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Go for it.

Image hosted by servimg.com
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
500dollar744ti
still rides with MrDoug

not completely, if you suck a bottle of it through a vac line it will clean up some stuff. i've personally done it on a car that would not pass CO% emissions and as a last resort i tried seafoam and the car passed.

1989 Volvo 744T- 16v turbo, '94 FD-block, RSI pistons/rods, GT35R, Tial 38mm, RFL, MSnS-E, DSM spark, 100lb Delphis, 4.6 springs, Bondo header, Heebspeed intake, Q45 90mm TB, Bosch 044 FP, 12x24x3 ebayIC, w/c t5, Clutchnet 4puck/PP, 4.10 G80, IPD sways, 960 brakes.
1998 Volvo S70 T5m- Stock, 212k
1983 Ford F150- '89 5.0 H.O, C6/4x4, F+R LSD 4.10, 7" lift, 35s.
1990 Cobia San Marino 225 ECS- MCM 350 Mag, GM Bowtie Intake, HR-Titan 19p.
500dollar744ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
sowsley
Board Member

It definitely makes a difference in my '82 Toyota.
I know it's hard to believe that someone wants (on turbobricks) to make things work the right way. My extensive search shows this hasn't happened since 2005 when there was a ziptie shortage and Tbrickers were forced to buy and use the correct parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
This is the only forum in existence where people get mad that their cars are worth more than 500
sowsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
bicyclelifestyle
Board Member

Can't tell you if it works or not. All I know is auto parts stores love to sell the **** out of it. From a sales standpoint they must be making a good turn on it.

'90 740t, stage +0.5. +freds chips. +16t. upper/lower braces. 25/25mm. poly stuff. IPD turbo cam. Limited-shlep.
'78 242dl, stage -100. +m47. +lh2.2. +rust. SOLD.
'86 245dl, stage -200. -interior. + wheels. FOR SALE.
bicyclelifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
BryantTF242
Board Member

i would say do it, put 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, and suck up the other 1/3 into a manifold vacuum line that feeds all cylinders, but do that part very slowly little by little, too much at once and you can hydrolock your engine. after you have completed sucking it into the manifold, have someone in car give it a rev and then turn off the car, let it sit for 10 minutes or so to let the solution soak the valves and the cylinder bore, start it up, take it for a ride for a good 10 min cycling through 1-4000 rpm and your set

1982 242 Turbo - The Fun One, K-Jet, 3in Turbo Back, RSI Coilovers, BBS LM Reps, Awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=280461

1990 240 Wagon
BryantTF242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
weak-sauce
Board Member

sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryantTF242 View Post
i would say do it, put 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, and suck up the other 1/3 into a manifold vacuum line that feeds all cylinders, but do that part very slowly little by little, too much at once and you can hydrolock your engine. after you have completed sucking it into the manifold, have someone in car give it a rev and then turn off the car, let it sit for 10 minutes or so to let the solution soak the valves and the cylinder bore, start it up, take it for a ride for a good 10 min cycling through 1-4000 rpm and your set
weak-sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
BryantTF242
Board Member

i have seen it be proven to reduce NOx, cause from high combustion temperatures. it will help clear out the carbon build up in the cylinder that raises compression and absorbs fuel. so in a healthy car like yours it will only make it better.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
Justin
Lamentable Ricer

I've heard it can plug up a catalytic converter if your not careful to make sure the car is warmed up at temperature before you do it.

I've done it to quite a few of my vehicles - I'm not sure if its yielded any results - I really just like making a big ass cloud of smoke for a few minutes
Your = possessive. Your grammar skills make us cry.
You're = contraction (you are).
There = noun (place).
They're = contraction (they are).
FeedBack
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
BryantTF242
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralAilment View Post
I've heard it can plug up a catalytic converter if your not careful to make sure the car is warmed up at temperature before you do it.

I've done it to quite a few of my vehicles - I'm not sure if its yielded any results - I really just like making a big ass cloud of smoke for a few minutes

haha fill up the neighborhood! we do it mostly at shop so the exhaust hoses suck up all the fun :(

but yeah make sure car is at operating temperature.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #11
photoman327
Board Member

Its good stuff. Just got another 1994 Buick Roadmaster wagon with 73,200 miles. change the oil add on bottle to the oil ran it to 79,000 before changing to mobil 5-30 oil. Also added one can to the gas on the first tank. a lot do it but I'm afraid to suck it in a port. that is over the top and it will clean to much.
photoman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
doucheNozzle
Emerged as Ugly Butterfly

I watched (heard) my '84 wagon's valve train clatter clear right up. It was crazy.

Look up "chinese water torture" if you really want to do it.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500dollar744ti View Post
not completely, if you suck a bottle of it through a vac line it will clean up some stuff. i've personally done it on a car that would not pass CO% emissions and as a last resort i tried seafoam and the car passed.

In a pinch for emissions.
There's better ways to clean your engine than putting corrosive chemicals in it.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
doucheNozzle
Emerged as Ugly Butterfly

Quote:
There's better ways to clean your engine than putting corrosive chemicals in it.
I'm interested. What else is out there?
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Delo, Rotella, water torture.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
I'm interested. What else is out there?
'GM Top Engine Cleaner' which is used to get any and all ick out of the intake tract. Alarmingly effective. Alarmingly stinky out the tailpipe. Applied via a ported vacuum signal well away from your neighborhood if you are wanting to stay on speaking terms with the neighbors.

This is the stuff we used all through the '90s and I continue to use today when needed for wierd-o drivability issues that don'e make sense.... that one that is..... 'Intermittently starts and dies cold.' or 'Hesitates on acceleration but it has fresh everything, valves are set and WTH!!'

Buy it as the GM dealer. They will have it on the shelf. The stinkier and smokier it is out the tailpipe the worse your car needed it!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
BryantTF242
Board Member

nah seafoam is not corrosive to any parts.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
cosbySweater
Board Member

i sea foamed my car and it started burning a quart of oil a week afterwards.... not a fan
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
The Manlaw
Board Member

everyone has mixed results with seafoam. I used it on my Jeep with 180,xxx miles and found 2mpg on average since then. Then i used it in a chevy s10 with around 170,xxx miles and it didn't make a damn difference. Each time was 2/3 bottle in vacuum line and 1/3 in the gas tank.

I've heard of people losing oil after using it. my suggestion has and will always be, time for some new seals...
2003 Focus zx5. hated that car with a passion
2003 Mazda Protege5. my SCCA RR car
Current:
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Slow but will climb over most anything...
Newly acquired: 1991 244, b230f with m47. Have a near complete +T assembly ready once the repairs get made
The Manlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
jerryc
Board Member

water torture, which is through the vac line, will do the same as seafoam in the vac line. Costs less though.
In the oil or gas I dunno, have heard too many negs or no results to try it. I've read too many positive things about Auto-RX and would go that way if I was to do anything.

The sailboat.

The 'motorboat'.

Think it over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguels244 View Post
Here's what Aristotle would ask...
How would decreasing the power of the Federal government increase individuals ability to buy things that the elite own, make money from, and are not for sale.

So, what is your answer.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
Justin
Lamentable Ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falunbrick View Post
i sea foamed my car and it started burning a quart of oil a week afterwards.... not a fan
yeah - its a toss up for sure - sometimes its not a good idea to seafoam a car - because that old rock hard carbon build up is the only thing keeping your motor tightly sealed =P
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
jfleganscca
Board Member

When I have used it, 1/3 can through vacuum hose and 2/3 can in the fuel tank, I have always had good results. 2-3mpg gain. I do have to agree with the others in regards to getting mixed results. I sell a ton of it at a NAPA and I have heard horror stories when the local dumba@@ hicks get it wrong. But I have never had any negatives from it.

Low 'n Less Slow: 1984 242 restoration project. B230, M46, cut wagon springs, pretty stock.
jfleganscca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
DrHicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleganscca View Post
When I have used it, 1/3 can through vacuum hose and 2/3 can in the fuel tank, I have always had good results. 2-3mpg gain. I do have to agree with the others in regards to getting mixed results. I sell a ton of it at a NAPA and I have heard horror stories when the local dumba@@ hicks get it wrong. But I have never had any negatives from it.
Watch what you say about the Hicks family!

Every once in awhile I run some SeaFoam through the fuel systems on my cars. I look at it as a cheap cleaner, though I'm not a huge fan.

Running it in your oil is a little dangerous. It might loosen up some gunk, but said gunk could plug up anything from your oil pump screen, to some of the little oil ports.

In my view, regular oil & filter changes, and good fuel, are far better than SeaFoam.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
Greaser
Board Member

Nothing beats good 'ole routine maintenance, but as cars do get older they do get gunk in them. Once in a while I while start to get a little ratter from the valves and I can feel the engine running a little sluggish. I dump half a bottom in the oil, half in the gas. It clears up the gas lines and injectors, and will knock the gunk loose in the engine. But I only add it if I plan on draining the oil in less than 500 miles, just in case. It is also a good idea to run it through the fuel system if it has been sitting for a while; I use it on my motorcyce's gas every spring.

I find its a good thing to use, if being careful, and as others have said, you might find new leaks. As CerebralAilment said, the gunk might be the only thing keeping your engine tight.

'87 Volvo 245DL My true love. Just don't tell my girlfriend.
Greaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #25
Brandon
Board Member

Quote:
Delo, Rotella, water torture.
This. I just picked up some Delo 15w-40 the other day. I wish it was warmer year round here, I'm hesitant to run that thick of oil in the winter. Come spring time oil change though it's going in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
water torture, which is through the vac line, will do the same as seafoam in the vac line. Costs less though.
In the oil or gas I dunno, have heard too many negs or no results to try it. I've read too many positive things about Auto-RX and would go that way if I was to do anything.
I've thought about trying some of the Auto-RX stuff as well. Problem is, I don't have any cars that have any sludge build-up/sludge problems.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote