• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

NOOB--86' Volvo 240 DL Project Thread

Donedelacruz

Spiderman Jr.
1986 Volvo 240 DL Project Thread *NEW PICS*

As I was recommended, this will be my project thread. This is where I shall show progress of how my first car, the 86' Volvo 240, will be improved and fixed up from when I first got it.

I love this car to death. I wish I could turn back time to get an earlier 240, but besides that, the car is perfect. The color is exactly how I wanted it, both exterior and interior, and even the drive itself is just how I wanted. I am literally 90% satisfied. I might need some adjustments for both cosmetics and the actual car, but for now I am more than happy.

What I have done so far:

-Replaced the radiator
-Replaced the gasket oil pan (cause of leak)
-Cleaned out the engine, both under the hood and gears under the car.
-Waxed the paint for hours.
-Cleared out the foggy yellow USA TV lens
-Bought over 15+ bolts and important Volvo little parts (Door knobs, door mounts, etc)
-Grant Steering Wheel
-Cleaned out all fluids (brake, coolant, tranny, steering, etc)
-Bought new fluids for the ones flushed and cleaned out^
-Two rear Shock Absorbers plus like an 1 hour work on each (I had to learn how to jack a car first).
-Right rear taillight was completely fixed (the parking light cover was missing and the brake lights were disconnected)
-Replaced the Shift Indicator Cover to a cleaner and much better condition black one.
-Rewired the Gear Indicator light which was pretty important to me for no reason at all ?
-Side door holder things idk what it's professionally called.

I need to do much more work but I think my car will definitely pass smog, but I want the car to run better, maybe a little faster, and stronger overall.

1986 Volvo 240 DL

null_zpse047a37d.jpg

null_zps9f30c485.jpg

null_zps0efd41b6.jpg

null_zps91e075cd.jpg

null_zps9804c7b2.jpg

null_zps70085b3b.jpg

null_zps1ae185e6.jpg

null_zps5d9bf680.jpg

null_zps24901c41.jpg

null_zpsf49daf33.jpg

null_zps95311fcd.jpg

null_zps62e563ae.jpg

null_zps27e643c8.jpg

null_zps37a314bc.jpg

null_zps0ea0fb1f.jpg

null_zps8398d047.jpg

null_zps0da9fcab.jpg

null_zps7fcd9bc2.jpg

null_zps19440171.jpg

null_zpse7ee9f78.jpg

Last edited:
Don't +T it if you want it to run better, continue going through all the traditional maintenance you have started! And get some dang pictures!

Don't +T it if you want it to run better, continue going through all the traditional maintenance you have started! And get some dang pictures!

Pictures coming your way! I am currently uploading about 700 photos that I haven't imported yet so it will take some time. I'll also take some pictures today if I get a nice landscape shot of my car!

Here is my progress on a bumper I just bought at the junkyard...need to sand it down but it's okay looking. Might plastdip it.
Some spots have the plastic splitting up, making the surface pretty rough. Any ideas on how to take this off?

Pictures added :)

question
What kind of battery should I be looking for?
I have this Autolite battery that was probably not replaced yet.

Here is my progress on a bumper I just bought at the junkyard...need to sand it down but it's okay looking. Might plastdip it.
Some spots have the plastic splitting up, making the surface pretty rough. Any ideas on how to take this off?

Sand it smooth and hit it carefully with a heat gun to bring back the color.

Don't +T it if you want it to Keep it in California,

FTFY

continue going through all the traditional maintenance you have started!

:nod:

question
What kind of battery should I be looking for?
I have this Autolite battery that was probably not replaced yet.

I'd have the autolite tested for free at an auto parts store, and buy an interstate group 24 if it doesn't spec out.

Sweet car, I see why you want to keep it.

Optima. Expensive up front, but they have lifetime warranties. Use the current one until it gives out though, obviously.

I also vote for keeping it '86 spec.

'86 is a great year, nice car.

Some stuff I did to my '86 is in the 'silver' link in my sig.

Keep it N/A and shoot for a stage-0 tune would be my advice. If you want a turbo 240 just go buy one, you're west coast so they come up often and not too much $$.

Once everything is tuned up tight and running right, the standard na 240's are reasonably quick and torque-y right out of the box.

Last edited:
Car's in great shape, that color is so cool, don't see it too often, works better on the earlier cars, but it's still pretty cool! Continue doing the maintenance on it and enjoy!

But really in great shape for a 27/28 year old car!

I really appreciate each and every reply that you guy's have provided. Seriously!

Redwood, thank you for understanding me! I completely agree with everyone on here that I should have got an earlier Volvo when I was first looking for a car, but I absolutely do not regret my decision. I tried the heating thing with the bumper and it did well! Thanks! Is the Interstate Group 24 a good battery? I honestly do not know much on batteries; they power up most of the car, so shouldn't I be looking for one with higher wattage or something in that category?

Crazychopstick and Old Iron, thank you so much for the compliment. Coming from a teen, it feels great to have a car that isn't being bagged on often :lol:

PDX, will keep that in my mind! Thanks

digital aaron, I will look into those more...still not convinced that they LOOK better than early round setups, but still better than these plastic ones for sure.

Problem and need assistance?!

Just drove my friends home with my dad, and we noticed something odd with the braking...
Usually the brake pedal and actual braking is not too sensitive, where you don't need to push down HARD on the brake to be able to slowly stop. This evening, my brake pedal adjusted to where I had to push down farther than I would have a week ago to brake.

My dad and I were discussing this, and some issues came up:
-"Brake Failure" light on whenever we had fully stopped (also sometimes during the braking)
-Brake Fluid is low...maybe a leak?

What would be some things to look at while trying to fix the breaks?
I liked how safe the brake pedal was since it wasn't sensitive. Where can I spot the leak and where would the brake fluid leak normally occur?
And how would I be able to get the brake pedal to become a little harder to push on?

Plans
So after this braking system problem, I will hopefully be able to fix more mechanic parts.
-Replace the Air Condition from R12 to an R13
-New Battery
-Two more shock absorbers
-Hub Adapter (coming in the mail)
-Maybe tint the windows a bit.
-Two Rear Headrests

If you had this car, or another Volvo that was over 20 years old, what would be some MAJOR parts to replace and check out?

Thanks a whole bunch you guys!
Don

Don,

Sounds you have a leak. Check for dampness along the connections at master cylinder and get under the car and look for weeping there too.

Also change that air filter and flame trap.

Best regards,

Chris

I love your car the way it is. Keep it clean. I like what you are doing with it. A clean, stockish 240 beats the typical tb'd out 240, mine included.

I love your car the way it is. Keep it clean. I like what you are doing with it. A clean, stockish 240 beats the typical tb'd out 240, mine included.

Really?! Everyone wants me to keep it all stock...this is so hard!
I mean, do they look that bad if I added round lights? Reminds me of a Mercedes collision with a BMW with a Volvo Wagon all together. Some might disagree but I think the round lights give it that classy-classic touch. Just me though so please remember it's just an opinion!

Ibcmoore, would the brake fluids flow through a tube somewhere, and that tube might be leaking or something? It's kind of funny how I learn how/what/why things happen and HOW things happen with cars while actually fixing it simultaneously. Makes learning much easier.

Back