home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
qwkswede
faster than you think

Default Qwkswede's 1967 122 Time Machine

February 2014
I took a little break from Turbobricks for the last year or two. But I'm back again and looking for motivation and inspiration to get another project moving. So its about time to get typing again and document my garage shenanigans, and share ideas with the great Turbobricks community.

A little history from the last couple years. Mid summer 2012 I moved to a more downtown city neighborhood and built a garage/shop to house my cars and tools. I sold off my 2 740s about a year ago and replaced my daily driver with a nice but slightly boring V70R. Its a great car and doesn't need much attention but doesn't really touch my soul like any of my old rear drive Volvos. But its reliable and it does leave me with time to spend in the garage with the new sexy.

I have had at least 10 Volvos over the years, some modified, and some stock. But the car I have always wanted since I was a teenager finally came home with me in 2013. Here it is, my new 2 door Volvo 123. I bought it in Southern California from a Volvo Technician. It was well cared for by an enthusiast, but not beautifully restored. Just a solid high mileage survivor.

Farewell to my lovely 740s. I do miss my grampa cars.

And welcome to the new Volvos. I bought the 122 in December 2012, and just drove and enjoyed it during 2013, including some car shows and gatherings.

The title says Time Machine, because that is how I feel about this car. Driving the 122 takes you back to a completely different era of motoring. No power steering, no power breaks, no overdrive, and the smell of exhaust without catalytic converters. Everything about it is enjoyable as is. It struggles to go 60mph, but its just fine because people smile and wave when passing you. It gets tons of attention everywhere you go, and I'm always surprised how many people see it and have no idea what it is. Just perfect.

Last edited by qwkswede; 02-17-2014 at 01:27 AM..
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
FattMatt805
juggalo

Nice! Good to have ya back ken, what are the plans for it?
1977 F250. 460ci
1957 H.D. Sportster. Mothballed
FattMatt805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #3
qwkswede
faster than you think

Default Vad händer i garagen

And now time for some of "vad händer i garagen"

As much as I am enjoying the vintage simplicity, everyone knows it would never last. I bought the car with every intention of making a nice street machine. It even has a Salvaged stamp on the title to make everyone feel better about me "Ruining" a nice old Volvo. So let the ruining begin!

I am not really working on the car directly yet, I just enjoy driving it too much. But I have been gathering parts and making plans. Here is a collection of goodies I have been piling up over the last year and some insight about the direction I'm heading with the car.

It didn't take long to settle on my preferred power plant. I thought about doing a B20 turbo for a pure old school build. But I have so much experience with the overhead cam motors that it just made more sense. So I picked up a 1993 B230 block and had it machined and cleaned. I bored to 3.800" just because I like the nice round numbers and keeps the cylinder walls nice and thick.

I drilled for oil squirters.

I also stumbled on a used 86mm stroke RSI crankshaft that was in bad shape. It had a mangled journal so I spent a few hundred dollars at Mile Hi Crankshaft and they were able to weld and grind it back to life:

And I picked up a set of these little gems too.

And finally a little paint on the block:

I have some 9:1 custom turbo pistons on the shelf now too. That should make for a solid foundation for any level of power that I care to have in a 2400lb. car. Thats where I am with the motor at this point. Quite a bit to do here still I'll try to keep up on the journal.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
qwkswede
faster than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattMatt805 View Post
Nice! Good to have ya back ken, what are the plans for it?
Thanks! I'll try to keep up here.

The last trip with the car before winter set in. Bike racks on the roof for trips to the local trail heads. And today a trip to the model helicopter airport.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #5
crazy240
Board Member

Nice build.
It looks like a clean original that has been cared for but driven.
Are you Swedish by the way?
crazy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
Thanks! I'll try to keep up here.

The last trip with the car before winter set in. Bike racks on the roof for trips to the local trail heads. And today a trip to the model helicopter airport.
Nice to see you are up to some interesting stuff! Where was this photo taken? It's been a few years since I've been back in Denver. Looks like the field at Cherry Creek reservoir overlooking Aurora. Did my senior year at the high school back there. Brings good memories.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laced713 View Post
but volvo does not use a head gasket on this engine they use an anaerobic sealant applied very thin. I'm pretty sure OEM parts are mostly forged internals in volvo's and cast block. The fact your trying to poke fun at me saying it doesn't have a head gasket, when it doesn't, makes me wonder why your even here.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #7
Tsayloco
Board Member

Great start. This will be an awesome build to follow.

I guess that means not all 93+ blocks are squirters from the factory? inquiring for informational purposes.
Quote:
I drilled for oil squirters.
Tsayloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
SquareD
An Anomaly

Welcome back! Always liked your 740s, looking forward to progress with the 122. 122's are my favorite vintage Volvo.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.

Last edited by SquareD; 06-19-2015 at 06:27 PM..
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
atrokz
super cage design genius

Looks good so far! pretty much my future goals as well.
92 245 DL WAS NOT TO BE -RETURNED FOR ZERO SPACE
91 745T RIP
94 850 NA RIP
95 850R GONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Rob Ford was Canadas greatest president
atrokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Sir Psycho
holstrich 2.0

Subscribed!

1995 940 Turbo:
531 head, Holset HE351 @ 20 psi, Emusa External Wastegate w/screamer, Mild Steel Header, 4" Downpipe, Ostrich Emulator, IPD Turbo Cam, TTR Cam Gear, Big Piping and Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, V8 T5 soon, Synapse Synchronic BOV, AEM Wideband, 18" Pegasus, B&G Springs, Billy HD's, Chassis Bracing, Sumimoto HTR ZIII 225/40/18
Sir Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Nice way to start off the build Ken! Definitely looks like a much better start than a couple of those other ones you were looking at.
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
qwkswede
faster than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsayloco View Post
Great start. This will be an awesome build to follow.

I guess that means not all 93+ blocks are squirters from the factory? inquiring for informational purposes.
This might have been a 92 block, or mislabeled. I picked it up from a local shop and it wasn't with the car anymore. Its definitely a late model with 13mm rods but had no squirters.

Quote:
Nice to see you are up to some interesting stuff! Where was this photo taken? It's been a few years since I've been back in Denver. Looks like the field at Cherry Creek reservoir overlooking Aurora. Did my senior year at the high school back there. Brings good memories.
This is at Chatfield State Park in Littleton looking towards the north over the lake which you can't see because its below the horizon.

Quote:
Swedish?
No, not much. Only by association. I grew up around Volvo dealerships and some Swedish families that owned them around Southern California. If anybody knows the Nordstedt family that owned and ran the Scandia bakery and Scandia Volvo in Whittier, CA you probably know what I'm talking about.

If any mods are tuned in. I'll try to get this thread fleshed out enough for Project status. I'd like to get it moved to the Project subforum eventually.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
crazy240
Board Member

Cool, just curious because the garage post.
Again very nice build!
crazy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
Donedelacruz
Spiderman Jr.

Cool to hear that you have wanted that car since you were a teen---gives me hope as I want this RIGHT NOW.
Such a beautiful car and I'm glad it went to a good owner!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240
Like you need another car...
Cars:
1986 244 DL Spider Eyez
1979 244 DL---R.I.P
1964 122 Amazon
1959 PV 544
1997 855 GLT
1982 242 Turbo .
Donedelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
smokeyfan1000

Quote:
February 2014
I took a little break from Turbobricks for the last year or two. But I'm back again and looking for motivation and inspiration to get another project moving. So its about time to get typing again and document my garage shenanigans, and share ideas with the great Turbobricks community.

A little history from the last couple years. Mid summer 2012 I moved to a more downtown city neighborhood and built a garage/shop to house my cars and tools. I sold off my 2 740s about a year ago and replaced my daily driver with a nice but slightly boring V70R. Its a great car and doesn't need much attention but doesn't really touch my soul like any of my old rear drive Volvos. But its reliable and it does leave me with time to spend in the garage with the new sexy.

I have had at least 10 Volvos over the years, some modified, and some stock. But the car I have always wanted since I was a teenager finally came home with me in 2013. Here it is, my new 2 door Volvo 123. I bought it in Southern California from a Volvo Technician. It was well cared for by an enthusiast, but not beautifully restored. Just a solid high mileage survivor.

Farewell to my lovely 740s. I do miss my grampa cars.

And welcome to the new Volvos. I bought the 122 in December 2012, and just drove and enjoyed it during 2013, including some car shows and gatherings.

The title says Time Machine, because that is how I feel about this car. Driving the 122 takes you back to a completely different era of motoring. No power steering, no power breaks, no overdrive, and the smell of exhaust without catalytic converters. Everything about it is enjoyable as is. It struggles to go 60mph, but its just fine because people smile and wave when passing you. It gets tons of attention everywhere you go, and I'm always surprised how many people see it and have no idea what it is. Just perfect.
I don't know about the struggles to get to 60mph deal...

The several manual trns (and one automatic) 120 series Volvos I owned easily cruised at 70 to 80+ mpg *all day long*.

And yep, they were dead stock dual SU cars and with over 100,000 miles on the somewhat well maintained engines...

But ... I do agree that they were/are not 0-60 in 6 second cars...............

You should (at least) slap the dual SU aluminum intake and a good set of rebuilt SUs on that Amazon!

Nice looking 120 BTW! Great find!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
I don't know about the struggles to get to 60mph deal...

The several manual trns (and one automatic) 120 series Volvos I owned easily cruised at 70 to 80+ mpg *all day long*.

And yep, they were dead stock dual SU cars and with over 100,000 miles on the somewhat well maintained engines...

But ... I do agree that they were/are not 0-60 in 6 second cars...............

You should (at least) slap the dual SU aluminum intake and a good set of rebuilt SUs on that Amazon!

Nice looking 120 BTW! Great find!
Motor might be tired. Then again anything running at that altitude loses a fair bit of power. Remember the CO state capitol is around 5300 FT ASL.

There is a good reason why nearly ever car over there is optioned out with the big engine option, whenever possible.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
qwkswede
faster than you think

Probably all of the above, I didn't really buy it for the engine. But I must say I have been around a few of these cars that belonged to friends and family members and this weber fueled one runs quite nice really. I don't think it is down on power because of the carb setup. I'll have to get it out and drag race it with the iphone street dyno app to see how it runs 0-60. Good benchmark data :-)
Old 02-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #18
Toby740W
Board Member

Looks really clean, looking forward to see what you do with it.
Toby740W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:30 AM   #19
Old Iron
I Roll

Great looking car! Are those seats reupholstered? This will be a great project!

[QUOTE=qwkswede;4830892]This might have been a 92 block, or mislabeled. I picked it up from a local shop and it wasn't with the car anymore. Its definitely a late model with 13mm rods but had no squirters.

Ya, I was under the impression that even the 1993 240 got the block with working and installed squirters from the factory! Hence the 1993 is quitier, etc etc?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #20
122power
dude

Looks nice!
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from

[QUOTE=Old Iron;4832477]Great looking car! Are those seats reupholstered? This will be a great project!

Quote:
This might have been a 92 block, or mislabeled. I picked it up from a local shop and it wasn't with the car anymore. Its definitely a late model with 13mm rods but had no squirters.

Ya, I was under the impression that even the 1993 240 got the block with working and installed squirters from the factory! Hence the 1993 is quitier, etc etc?
It isnt a 100% guarantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I used paper books to learn how to do this stuff back in the day. Now I use pro software subscription
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolvor
3/4", make everything as heavy as possible for no reason. It's also 4:1 compression ratio because that's how cosworth did it in 1978.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #22
qwkswede
faster than you think

I picked up this axle at the junkyard recently. Ford 8.8 with limited slip and 3.73 gears and disk brakes.

I started cleaning up the Ford mounts this week and getting some measurements so I can narrow it a bit. It looks like I can do the common modification where you shorten the long tube 3" and use 2 short side axles. That puts the overall width flange to flange at 56.5". The 122 width is 56", and the wheels are really sucked in. I'm sure I can play with some common Ford wheel sizes to get a pretty fat tire under the back. Definitely rolling the fender lips and maybe a mini tub. I'll have to see how it adds up.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

saaayyy that looks familiar, I've got one standing on end in the carport right now, bout to do the same thing. you get that outa an explorer?

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #24
qwkswede
faster than you think

Yeah, 90 something Ford Explorer.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #25
qwkswede
faster than you think

Does anyone have a decent used T5 transmission to contribute to the progress? The Ford Mustang versions are scarce in the Denver area.