home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Default 1983 242 - My first Volvo

[Update] The theme of this build is "work with what cha got" after spending some time with the car and starting to work on it that seems to be the common response I tell people when they ask me about what my plans are. For now I'm going to fix/service/manipulate/reuse everything I can from the car's already intact parts. It's all about the budget...and it's a tight one.

Well folks you can blame my brother in law for my latest purchase. You all might know him as "mblue240" here on Turbobricks. I've discussed with him in depth about what Volvos I like, what I like about them, and what I wanted out of a project if I were to ever get one.

It just so happens he was scrolling through Craigslist for a transmission when he came across a gem of an ad (I'll cover the basics)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- $375 -
83 Volvo
Turbo
5sp
2dr

Doesn't run, but ran a couple years ago
LOST TITLE
Needs work, 200K miles

He also included a few pictures that looked ok, some from when it ran and others from well after it hadn't.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I saw this ad come onto my facebook wall and I immediately cursed at Michael (mblue240) for even showing this to me. I, like most others, am broke with no assets valuable enough to count. So when your brother in law points out an insane deal on the car you've said "someday I'd like to...bla bla bla" you want to punch him. On a whim I call the guy and I ask some questions, I ask about trades, I ask about it's issues, I ask about the body, and I ask about cash...oh the power of cash.

Now mind you this is about 1:30 in the afternoon, by 4pm I was walking out the door with cash in hand, a truck to borrow, and a car dolly reservation at uhaul. I drove down to La Center WA from Centralia WA (about two hours round trip or so, but add another hour to secure the needed equipment). When I got there the guy had the car parked at the end of his driveway. After bsing a bit about the car we hooked up some jumper cables to hear/see the motor turn, with a successful show that the motor wasn't a seized hunk I handed the cash to the nice young man and loaded up my 242! Upon taking a closer look the car had 266K (not the 200K advertised), has a few "repairs" that need repaired (pictures later), and honestly needs some serious tlc. Luckily no body work is really needed, a few little dings here and there with a bit if surface rust but I haven't found any real "cancer" so far. All in all I think I did pretty good considering a lot of the 242s I've seen for this cheap are in need of all the things I mentioned plus a metric ton of body work too.

From there it was brought home and parked in my driveway while I tried to make time for the cleaning of the garage that should have been done MONTHS ago...

All of this BS was in the trunk...

With the car safe at home I decided with my last free weekend I'd try and tackle the garage. Mainly so I had a place to put my new project, but also because if I didn't do it now I don't know when I'd have time to do it again (my wife is due with our first child any day now![update: this has happened and he is awesome])

All of this had to go back in there

To make room for this

So now that I had a place to put my little Volvo I decided to tackle one little job while the contractions are coming on more steady, removing the hood...

Why you might ask...because the hinge on the drivers side let loose, it actually broke on one of the arms.

So far that's it, I'll post some more pictures later as things progress. For now I'm going to clean it up, tear out the interior (deep clean the hell out of it), and get it running. From there we'll see, other than a flathood (70's style) I'm not to sure where I'm headed with this yet.

I hope the B21FT has some life left, if it does we'll get as close to a stage 0 without a rebuild as I can and start turning up the boost (with budget minded supporting bolt on mods of course). If not we're looking at swap out of the gate. I'll have more to say on that as I perform some maintenance on this thing.
I had to move it around the driveway today and I was impressed that it started RIGHT up on the first crank, then proceeded to sound like a blender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectilinear View Post
If it didn't come with a redblock, it doesn't have a soul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintf32768 View Post
I owned this car so that I could, someday, blow someone away at a stoplight and they would stop and wonder whether time had any meaning anymore, and whether they had made the right choices with their life.

Last edited by jaydubya2003; 08-18-2014 at 11:30 AM..
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
GoldieBrick
Board Member

Nice find at a great price. Cant go wrong with a car for $350 dollars. Cant wait to see where it goes.

GoldieBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieBrick View Post
Nice find at a great price. Cant go wrong with a car for $350 dollars. Cant wait to see where it goes.

Actually picked it up for $250 :-)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
fortbrick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya2003 View Post
Maybe you'll find $8 in change in it... if you see what I'm getting at.

Looks like a great start for a project.
fortbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbrick View Post
Maybe you'll find $8 in change in it... if you see what I'm getting at.

Looks like a great start for a project.
To be honest I don't know what you're getting at, but I'll be happy if I don't find some kind of dead animal inside it considering what was in the trunk and what's left to clean in the car.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 AM   #6
fortbrick
Board Member

Quote:
to be honest i don't know what you're getting at, but i'll be happy if i don't find some kind of dead animal inside it considering what was in the trunk and what's left to clean in the car.
$242 242 :-p
fortbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #7
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbrick View Post
$242 242 :-p
Damn it...lol
Old 08-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #8
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Re-wrote/added some to the original post. Mainly to clean things up and have it make some more sense...sorry folks, a bit frazzled with the little one on the way...lol
Old 08-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
mbolton1990
Board Member

Wow that was stolen for $250

But what about the lost title?

" Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. "

mbolton1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Best of luck! Reminds me of mine that I picked up last summer. But not for $250!!!!

2019 VW Golf R w 6 Speed w 1320 kms NEW DD

@smoothdurban on IG
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Lord_Athlon
300+ Clurb

I paid 1400 for one in similar condition. Good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #12
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbolton1990 View Post
Wow that was stolen for $250

But what about the lost title?
Title is getting worked out, went into the WA state DOL with the Vin to check. Title is clean, with no lein, and never stolen. I've got paperwork to take care of and some phone calls to make but we're good to go legally.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
Old Iron
I Roll

Great find. looks like a great starting point. It even runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
No sarcastic replies from Redwood Chair necessary
Old Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
GoldieBrick
Board Member

Quote:
Damn you...

What a steal for that price. Especially for a runner.
GoldieBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:54 AM   #15
mblue240
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieBrick View Post
Damn you...

What a steal for that price. Especially for a runner.
Not a runner right now, and likely won't be for awhile since his first baby joined the world today.

Welcome to the family Josh

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 AM   #16
PDX240
Back from the DEAD

Nice score there, yep! Congrats on the new baby too!

I've had a couple 240 Turbos, good cars once they're sorted.
PM me if you need a hand, advice, or strange parts.

Pdx240 feedback http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ghlight=Pdx240
-------------------------------------------------------
PDX240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #17
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Thanks for the reply gents. Like Michael said it isn't a runner but it does still turn. We'll know more as soon as I have time to work on it a bit. Time will be scarce since my wife got fed up with the tenant in her abdomen and evicted the little bastard.

So as of yesterday my son Jaxon was born weighing in at 6-lbs 15-oz and 20.5-inches long.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #18
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Thanks for the reply gents. Like Michael said it isn't a runner but it does still turn. We'll know more as soon as I have time to work on it a bit. Time will be scarce since my wife got fed up with the tenant in her abdomen and evicted the little bastard.

So as of yesterday my son Jaxon was born weighing in at 6-lbs 15-oz and 20.5-inches long.
Congrats on the little bottle of joy!

The next few months will be difficult to find the time to work on the car. I started building my 242 a month after my daughter was born and my only piece of advice would be is to get your son to sleep early (7:30 pm) which will give you a couple of hours every night to do a little work on it. Using this method I was able to put my car on the road in 9 months.

Congrats once again!
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #19
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothdurban View Post
Congrats on the little bottle of joy!

The next few months will be difficult to find the time to work on the car. I started building my 242 a month after my daughter was born and my only piece of advice would be is to get your son to sleep early (7:30 pm) which will give you a couple of hours every night to do a little work on it. Using this method I was able to put my car on the road in 9 months.

Congrats once again!
Thank you, that is a good plan of action for sure. Right now the 242 just sits in the garage as I'm taking in the last week or so, pretty amazing actually
Old 08-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #20
coonmanx
Board Member

If you have any cash to put into this beast I would recommend a T5 swap. After years of owning a turbo car with an M46 I can say that the transmission can be a weak link. That and the wiring. Good to hear you got it for cheap.

Also I would recommend going to a later model starter with the permanent magnet setup. Much easier to mess with. I will probably remember all of the other things I have had to do to my car in the past 12 years. Definitely recommend going full synthetic in the oil department.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #21
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonmanx View Post
If you have any cash to put into this beast I would recommend a T5 swap. After years of owning a turbo car with an M46 I can say that the transmission can be a weak link. That and the wiring. Good to hear you got it for cheap.

Also I would recommend going to a later model starter with the permanent magnet setup. Much easier to mess with. I will probably remember all of the other things I have had to do to my car in the past 12 years. Definitely recommend going full synthetic in the oil department.
A t5 will come with a motor swap, I am going to get the stock b21ft as close to a stage zero as I can without a rebuild then start turning things up until something let's loose (motor or drivetrain wise) from there it's swap time with either a 20V T5 from an 850 or a b230ft from a later 7/9 series. I've always wanted to do a T5/T5 swap into a 242, fabrication doesn't scare me as I've done it before both professionally and in my hobbies. We'll see as time goes on what will happen, but for now I'll just be breathing life back into this 242 and having some cheap fun with it...lol
Old 08-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #22
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Well today I started getting the 242 cleaned out. I started with an interior that looked like this...

What you can't really see is the ant infestation, and the trash filling up the passenger side floor. Needless to say it was a bit sketchy...so a good set of gloves were in order.

I removed both seats, the passenger is still in working order with both the slide rails and tilt and it was the easiest to remove. The driver on the other hand has zero movement and was a bitch to get out with it being all the way back, as you could imagine the rear bolts kinda sucked...lol

After a few curse words and finding just the right extension/joint combo it came out and I then tackled the rear seat bottom.

After getting the floor area clear I had to at least vacuum it out...

After getting the carpets cleaned up a bit I then removed everything that wasn't bolted down I could get to with the time I had today.

All of the parts and pieces went up and away and in a box

I mentioned before that I'd take some pics of the repairs needed, well here are a few of the obvious ones.

This is the drivers door that someone tried to "repair"

At this point I'll continue removing the interior and I think I'll also remove the bottom of the console as well as the bottom of the dash (as much as possible). I've still got all the upper panels and headliner to remove. The sunroof is off it's track, and the passenger door won't open from the outside (as well as barely opening from the inside)

Once I've got some cash to spend I'll be picking up a battery and starting to figure out this "no spark" issue the previous owner says was the issue.

Last edited by jaydubya2003; 08-17-2014 at 01:34 AM..
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
mblue240
Board Member

If you find the cash there are a few dashes for sale down here at $100 each. I think one black and one black/blue.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #24
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
If you find the cash there are a few dashes for sale down here at $100 each. I think one black and one black/blue.
I have seen some listed and it is the last priority for me honestly. I would rather patch it for free now and then get one later after this thing is on the road and functioning.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #25
Sharingan 19
Board Member

Man, you west coast guys and your 242 deals....amazing find.
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote