home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Chewy
Board Member

Default Chewy's 80 242 Build

Been on the board for a half year, finally decided to document my build. Better late than never? Picked her up in May or June... been a BUSY half year.

Grew up with Volvos in the family, came home from the hospital when I was born in a 245, drove a 940t in high school, and always loved the solidity and reliability of these cars. I needed to get one back in my life.

I always loved the 240's, such solid cars... but wanted something different. The 242 body style always did something for me...

Did some perusing on the local craigslist and found a 1980, 242 running car for sale. Young girl owned it, and didnt have the money to maintain it. Asking 1500 bucks, and I ended up with it for 700... because it needed loads of work, and didnt pass smog.

KJet/M46 and Virgos. What more could you ask for? :P

The goal for the car was to have a great handling, drive to work a few days a week, and maybe beat up cones with on weekends.

Drove her home, and the work began.
Elsa, in my posession

That front ride height... LOL

Basic Kjet motor, ran, but definitely needed some love. Got her home, joined TBricks and read up on "stage zero".

Threw some plugs, bougicord wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, timed, and ultrasonically cleaned the injectors, and replaced seals and hold down clamps, and she ran better. Noticed the lambda sond wasnt hooked up, got the O2 sensor up, and she ran great. A little tuning and she passed CA emissions with ease!

Stage Zero time

After emissions, it was time to get to work on the ride. Elsa was completely worn out in the suspension department.
Parts list went something like this:
Bilstein HD struts for the front
Koni Yellows for the rear
SuperPro poly bushings everywhere
New ball joints
New Tie Rods
New upper strut mounts
IPD panhard and torque rods
IPD lowering springs.

So now she sat ok, and handles alright.. but there was a heinous clunk that didnt go away. It was there on accel and deceleration. I pulled the driveshaft, and evaluated the u joints and center carrier.

Well, a u joint was basically seized...

Replaced all 3, swapped in a new center carrier and bearing. Fixed.. for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo240skunk37 View Post
Good God son, you're just a pile of fail.

A-A-Ron
Going away: 69 142 "Inga" Build Thread
Had: 80 242 "Elsa" Build Thread

Last edited by Chewy; 01-11-2015 at 11:05 PM..
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Nice car. Like the green over tan.

If you can live with it, keep it stock. 242's are getting rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Get a life.
I built a 5.044!
kyle242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Chewy
Board Member

Sorry for the Potato quality photo, but this is how she sat after all the suspension work.

The m46 in this car was pretty toast. Ground in some gears, and had a clunk to it (OD conical clutch stuff?). So this stumbled into my garage.

Mustang T5, fox body driveshaft, and a spare m46 x-member. Figured it would be great someday... freshly rebuilt craigslist score from a dude who scored the close ratio T5 for his ride.

Got around to more maintenance crap. Engine mounts were pretty tired, so for a few bucks, replaced them.

My power steering rack was pissing fluid at a rate of a quart ever 2 weeks... :( The pump was leaking too.
Fixed this with a new manual rack (simple is good) from FCP.

Got the manual linkage from NChoy when I was in portland for a business trip. Easy install, feels nice, just a tad slower than the PS rack ratio.

And scored this avalanche T5 adapter, with a yoshifab DS adapter as well from this site.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Chewy
Board Member

Elsa was riding pretty good, but swayed like a boat in the corners. Ran across a deal on some 25/22 IPD sways...

Got a yoshifab T5/8.5" clutch disc...

and out with the old, in with the new...

While we're in there... sways and rack installed.

T5 in it's new home...

The box is fantastic, even behind a little b21F. 5th is a bit tall, but works great in SoCal freeway speeds (75+)

With the advice of GStellr, found that a 94+ Mustang Xmember is almost a bolt in with a T5 into a Volvo

Also landed a deal on the obligatory GT strut bars
Old 01-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

good work! i like the color.

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Chewy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
Nice car. Like the green over tan.

If you can live with it, keep it stock. 242's are getting rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
good work! i like the color.
Thanks!

The Green is rad. It's a respray, a few shades different than the sills/engine bay, but close. Not the greatest, but we'll get to that someday.

Stock is nice, but her interior was fairly trashed. Sun, cigarette burns, broken seats, etc.

Trying to find the handling improvements, aiming for a resto mod type build.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
Chewy
Board Member

Further craigslist hunting ensued...

The virgos were pretty tired, stained, curbed, and needed tires pretty bad. I never liked the look of hydras on a 240, but they'd give some better handling with smaller aspect ratio rubber.

Found a killer deal on some Powdercoated Tethys wheels locally from Dieselboy on here.

Got some rear 32mm spacers and long studs from Ben @ Kaplehnke Racing (and did rear rotors/pads/hardware and axles seals while I was in there)

Found some H+R hubcentric 25mm adapters for the front... and threw the Tethys on.

I dig em. Though now the ride height looks too high...
Old 01-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
Chewy
Board Member

Further parts acquisitions were made.

I've always loved the commando bumpers, but the front looks so empty, and 4x4 without anything below the bumper.
Finally found a commando front spoiler to put on.

and borrowed some Hella 500's i had on the shelf in the garage...

MUCH BETTER!

And then this happened. I wasnt satisfied with the ride of the IPD springs, (too high, too soft).

Coleman collars, Hyperco Springs.

Out with the old, in with the new...

The rear collars arent a direct bolt in. Took some machining, welding, to make them. In retrospect, I should have just bought the Kaplehnke kit....

Running Hyperco 300lb/in x 8"x2.5"ID springs up front, 275lb/in x 5"x11" springs in rear. Rides really well. Front is a little underdamped with Bilstein HD's.

After setting ride height, time for a quick string alignment

Went for 1/16" toe in, and could get a whopping -0.5 degrees with stock upper mounts. Someday I'll get camber plates

Last edited by Chewy; 01-11-2015 at 10:45 PM..
Old 01-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
Chewy
Board Member

The car was actually really fun in this build.

Handled well, looked decent, shifted great, just a little anemic in the power delivery, and needs some interior work.

The next saga for this car would be the quest for some emissions compliant power gains.

My folks have the 91 940T i drove in high school. It stopped running due to a crank position sensor ~10 years ago so they just parked it at a relatives house... where she sat for a decade. I took ownership of it and she'd live on, under the hod of my 242

Pulled the B230FT out of it...

the G80

And slowly started working my way through the b230FT to get it ready for swap.

Also came across a deal on some corbeau sport seats.
Pair, 200 bucks! not bad!
A little sun faded, but they're awesome.

Scored some adapters for a volvo, but needed to make them on sliders.

Some cuttting/bending/welding and got them in the car

Last edited by Chewy; 01-11-2015 at 11:20 PM..
Old 01-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
Chewy
Board Member

I'd known for a while that a B230FT swap would be a good way to liven this car up reliably, and it wouldnt cost me too much (LOLOL) with a free donor car.

This is the most common view of my garage according to my neighbors.

I had Ben @ Kaplehnke machine a spare flat flywheel for LH 2.4 trigger teeth. She's a beaut! He also had it balanced while it was out...

While the motor was out, I did the following:
Cam seal
Aux shaft seal
Swapped intermediate shaft for earlier one with dizzy drive
LH 2.4 dizzy
Capped off the head mounted dizzy, and installed 15A's retainer plate
Crank seal
Timing belt
Water pump
Orange Top 850 injectors

Int shaft was kind of a pain in the ass....

The water pump was looking pretty scabby for sitting 10 years :( The antifreeze broke down and a good chunk of it evaporated over 10 years.

I just got the old B21F out and the B230FT installed this past weekend.

The best part is, the B21F will live on. Uncle is working on a PV544 that needed an engine... so off she goes.

Phew... that was the last 6 months in under 10 posts.

Last edited by Chewy; 01-12-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Chewy
Board Member

made more headway yesterday.

As part of the LH2.4 swap, I wanted to use the later 81+ style dash. My dad had collected tons of 240 parts over the years, hoping to redo our 245 wagon someday, so he stockpiled a late dash with zero cracks. Rad!

Elsa currently has no heat, and the heater core has been bypassed likely due to leaking. Guess I will tackle that while this is apart.

I think I need to go pull the donor 245's Dash subframe and lower heater controls things, but am not sure. I made this thread a while ago... should bump it with question.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...highlight=dash

Also, while I have the dash apart, this gives me access to the pedal cluster easily. Once again, Dad had stockpiled some cool parts.
Got a 740 hydraulic clutch setup, 260 Master cylinder, and I fabbed up a lengthened clutch pedal.

Threw these parts on while the trans was out...
Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Goodness! You're doing it right!
kyle242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Looking good, and you're making quick progress. I think I remember seeing this car on CL last year. Was it in the Long Beach area?

Your seats look very nice especially for $200. I can't believe how much of a difference a nice firm bolstered seat made in my 242, even with squishy suspension. I highly recommend a 350mm (~14in) sporty steering wheel as a complimentary upgrade.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
Chewy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Looking good, and you're making quick progress. I think I remember seeing this car on CL last year. Was it in the Long Beach area?

Your seats look very nice especially for $200. I can't believe how much of a difference a nice firm bolstered seat made in my 242, even with squishy suspension. I highly recommend a 350mm (~14in) sporty steering wheel as a complimentary upgrade.
Thanks!

Yep, ~may of last year for sale in Costa Mesa. The 17 year old chick who owned it apparently couldnt get her act together to meet people to sell it. Her dad met me on a saturday..

Low balled 800 if it passed smog, 700 if it didnt, sold as is where is. They took the 700 when it choked on NOx.

I absolutely hated the stock seats. They were thrashed, and sat really high, and one hinge was busted... and they were from a sedan so non folding. These corbeaus rule. Very stiff, and keep you nice and planted in with the love handle grabbers. They also fold for rear seat access....

I bought dual locking sliders for them, and gave up an inch of height :(. I'm 6'3" and occasionally get into the roof.

I have a Momo prototipo i can borrow from the porsche for a while, just need to pony up for an adapter. Burning through money like its going out of style on this LOL.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
jaydubya2003
Board Member

Love the green, such a good lookin car. Your attention to detail is legit...keep up the good work!
I had to move it around the driveway today and I was impressed that it started RIGHT up on the first crank, then proceeded to sound like a blender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectilinear View Post
If it didn't come with a redblock, it doesn't have a soul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintf32768 View Post
I owned this car so that I could, someday, blow someone away at a stoplight and they would stop and wonder whether time had any meaning anymore, and whether they had made the right choices with their life.
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #16
Chewy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya2003 View Post
Love the green, such a good lookin car. Your attention to detail is legit...keep up the good work!

It's definitely a 5-10 footer right now. Big LF fender dent, lots of dings all over the place, scratches, etc. Rims have curbing, It's a driver, not a show queen.

Thanks for the compliments.

Main reason for the hurried progress is two fold:
A) Motor swap needs to be done, smogged, and refereed by July.
B) Expecting a child around that time as well
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #17
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Very much liking where you are going with this car! Subbed.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #18
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post

Seconded on the steering wheel and seats. I'm running a momo mod 8 myself. Very comfortable with the seat all the way back (I'm 6'1").

In terms of handling, the next two must-have upgrades are LSD and quick steer/roll center correction (even if you aren't that low, decreasing the tie rod lever arm improves feel and responsiveness immensely!).
Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #19
Chewy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harribert View Post
In terms of handling, the next two must-have upgrades are LSD and quick steer/roll center correction (even if you aren't that low, decreasing the tie rod lever arm improves feel and responsiveness immensely!).
Most definitely want the quick steer kit. They'd quicken up the manual rack I have, while taking out bump steer. Gotta save the $$ for essentials at the moment. Once the car is running and reliable (and i have some cash), i can start doing those things.

Got a G80 to put in (because free), and modded the tone ring to work with LH 2.4 (non abs). This will have to do until I can snag ~500 + install for a true trac.

I plan to do the flywheight mod on the g80, and run it till it 'splodes.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #20
Mueller
Board Member

Nice progress...

Still have those 914 flares I sold you? I'm picking up another one this weekend if all goes as planned!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #21
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
weld the weight,
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #22
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
Most definitely want the quick steer kit. They'd quicken up the manual rack I have, while taking out bump steer. Gotta save the $$ for essentials at the moment. Once the car is running and reliable (and i have some cash), i can start doing those things.

Got a G80 to put in (because free), and modded the tone ring to work with LH 2.4 (non abs). This will have to do until I can snag ~500 + install for a true trac.

I feel the pain, man Did not notice the G80 until after I posted. Definitely a good option when the Truetrac is out of reach (just snagged one after peglegging it for a year). I have read some stuff about increasing pre-load on them and modifying the flywheight to get them to behave more like a normal LSD but never got very far researching.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #23
Chewy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Nice progress...

Still have those 914 flares I sold you? I'm picking up another one this weekend if all goes as planned!
Yep! still on the shelf from a few years ago. I still want to hold onto them... Someday.
Glad to hear your back in the aircooled fold - done with volvos?

Craig Downs came over and gave me a hand with the engine R+R... everytime he shows up in his 914, it makes me want to finish mine again. Just $$$$ compared to Volvo dollars ($).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
weld the weight,
Yep - thats the plan. Weld it down.
I take it you've had good luck with this mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harribert View Post
I feel the pain, man Did not notice the G80 until after I posted. Definitely a good option when the Truetrac is out of reach (just snagged one after peglegging it for a year). I have read some stuff about increasing pre-load on them and modifying the flywheight to get them to behave more like a normal LSD but never got very far researching.
I've only gotten as far as flyweight mods. I'm not sure i've got any spare time to mod the insides before I need it in the car. Lots to do still.

Got quoted $250 + bearings ($50?) installed with axle in the car by a driveline shop. Oh Dana 30? piece of cake they said.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #24
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Yep! still on the shelf from a few years ago. I still want to hold onto them... Someday.
Glad to hear your back in the aircooled fold - done with volvos?

Craig Downs came over and gave me a hand with the engine R+R... everytime he shows up in his 914, it makes me want to finish mine again. Just $$$$ compared to Volvo dollars ($).

Yep - thats the plan. Weld it down.
I take it you've had good luck with this mod?

I've only gotten as far as flyweight mods. I'm not sure i've got any spare time to mod the insides before I need it in the car. Lots to do still.

Got quoted $250 + bearings ($50?) installed with axle in the car by a driveline shop. Oh Dana 30? piece of cake they said.

Still playing with the 242, I'm just scaling back on some of the crazy ideas I had for it....914 will remain more or less stock until the 242 is how I want it and then I might get modding on the 914.
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #25
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:

Really?! Never seen anything under $700, as they have to reset lash when new bearings go in