home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Default Improve your 240's Wipers

Maybe everyone else has already figured this out, but I still thought I'd share.

My 90 245s wipers were ridiculously slow. Borderline dangerous in anything but a light shower. When I bought the car, there were boxes of spare parts that came with it, including a better looking OE Volvo wiper motor. After being unable to see the road last night on the way home, I pulled into the shop and removed the old wiper motor.

When I put the new one in, I was disappointed to see that the wipers were only marginally better...still painfully slow.

Then I noticed that this new motor had a spot for a ground lug. I didn't realize before now that the motor grounded through the body.

I hooked up an extra ground wire and voila! Speedy, smooth wipers! I've owned 6 240s and never had windsheild wipers work this well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
My Project (It's a 1979 244DL...sort of.)
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
towerymt
the real Towery

I've definitely replaced a lazy motor once. Wonder if this would have helped it. They've always been pretty slow on my 240s.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Headed to garage to have a look-see....
Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

This looks like a good idea.

I'm curious, how was the motor grounded before you added the ground wire? All the 240 wiper motors I have seen were grounded by a brass tab under one of the mounting lugs. Those tabs can fail, and when they do, the motor generally stops dead, because it is isolated by the rubber mounting grommets.

I have never seen a ground lug like that on one of these motors, including the ones I just looked at (this is likely because my cars are extra old). It is easy enough, though, to put a ground wire on one of the screws holding the cover plate on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt
It's always better to get into a turbo volvo and drive.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
This looks like a good idea.

I'm curious, how was the motor grounded before you added the ground wire? All the 240 wiper motors I have seen were grounded by a brass tab under one of the mounting lugs. Those tabs can fail, and when they do, the motor generally stops dead, because it is isolated by the rubber mounting grommets.

I have never seen a ground lug like that on one of these motors, including the ones I just looked at (this is likely because my cars are extra old). It is easy enough, though, to put a ground wire on one of the screws holding the cover plate on.
Yeah, my wipers actually stopped once before. The tab looked OK, but there was a lot of crap built up. I tried to clean it up, but it had little to no effect. Adding the separate ground strap made all the difference.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
The tab looked OK

I can dig it. I had my wipers stop once because the little peened lugs holding the ground tab to the motor body had become loose.

This make-your-own-ground could eliminate many problems.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
eparayno
Board Member

Don't the newer 240's have a ground strap on the motor? My 92 did and my 77 does not so I will be adding a ground as well.
eparayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

Later motors have the ground strap.

I just use early SWF motors and clean the ground tab and add a strap...

More importantly, if the seals have failed and wiper post grease has washed out and they are binding, no amount of messing with the motor will cure that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
Sharingan 19
Board Member

There are a couple different wiper motors. An early style that grounds through the mounting tabs (up until around 88'-89' iirc) and the later style with the separate ground lug.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=293022

I pulled one off a 93' in the yard and replaced my older style motor which was quite slow. Looking back, I wonder if it was actually the motor, or if cleaning the grounds would have yielded a similar improvement.
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
1choice
Board Member

That's awesome. Mine aren't fast either, this is a really good idea!
I think that same night when it was downpouring over here, I almost considered getting some rainX, and I really hate that stuff...
(ppl spray it on their windshields while driving, and it gets all over everyone else's)

Funny thing, I installed a front view camera in the grill a week ago, and I could actually see like 80% better through the little 5"x4" screen. (Now I think maybe I should get a bigger screen and mount it over the plastic radio hatch grill thing.)
1choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
ellist
Board Member

Where did you run the ground wire to?
ellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellist View Post
Where did you run the ground wire to?
There was a threaded hole close to the passenger side hood hinge. It's where the ignition coil was mounted on some early cars. I used that.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
Mr. V
Board Member

I've disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled these wiper motors to good effect.

Not too difficult.

As for a ground, I fabricated one with thick gauge wire and round grommets on each end.

Not slow at all.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #14
volvowagoon
Board Member

My '89 had a ground strap on it when I bought the car. When I replaced the motor, it came with a new ground wire, but I reused the old strap. It's a pretty critical thing to implement if you ask me. My wipers didn't really work without it.

IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

on the early wiper motors, is only one of the 3 mounting bolts assigned to ground? if so, which one?

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
cleanflametrap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
on the early wiper motors, is only one of the 3 mounting bolts assigned to ground? if so, which one?
It is the top one.