• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Identity Crisis - My JDM Euro rat rod bomb Volvo 122

sleeper122

Long time lurker. Decided to finally throw a thread together. About 15 years ago I was big into the "JDM nostalgia" scene. Built, showed, raced, blew up & crashed about 6 different S13 240's. Then got busy with a new job and got out of the car scene for a while. Fast forward to 2012, moved from Chicago to SoCal, had some extra time on my hands and started on a new project.

Was looking for something older, preferably a Datsun, but ended up picking up a half started project from a buddy in Texas, a 1950 Chevy Styleline Coupe.

After about 15 months of having it? Laying frame nice and bombed out haha

kQm1uHQl.jpg

Went from turbo 4 bangers to an all American rat rod NA V8 Muscle bomber haha. Was a bit of a 180 from what I was used to. Had the coupe for about 2 years and you know how it goes... Never satisfied, always looking for the next project and really really missed boost. So in 2013 I came across this cherry Volvo for sale up north that had a lot of the leg work done (which helps, considering I didn?t have a ton of extra time to devote to working on it) and by some weird stroke of luck, happened to be swapped with one of my favorite motors, a notch top S14 Sr20det. Long story short, immediately bought the Volvo, sold the Chevy and so began my never ending vehicle identity crisis...

KexdPGTl.jpg

1iDv95Vl.jpg

0iCMHfPl.jpg

dibwqzhl.jpg

VB4gyrql.jpg

IdR22yHl.jpg

AE4HJV7l.jpg

0SIKgYNl.jpg

5GGkJlVl.jpg

7S1bYtTl.jpg

Needed new wheel bearings. So rented a hub puller from O?Riley?s that didn?t work, and ended up using some of that redneck ingenuity that my pop?s learned me? Worked like a charm.

5bLLzXol.jpg

EE9qeq0l.jpg

sUEklwWl.jpg

xVNKo46l.jpg

Then did the typical suspension mods, poly bushings, IPD swap bars, new ball joints, new brake shoes, etc..

8IYDZcZl.jpg

LdRaor5l.jpg

sCT8k4bl.jpg

Then?. Blew the head gasket haha. So next few months was spent fixing that. New metal head gasket, upgraded the valves (bent a few) and picked up a few new odds and ends to try and make it my own.

Wood grain Nardi deep corn wheel, Nardo evolution shift knob, AEM Truboost and UEGO

TxS8t4hl.jpg

8FxJGFYl.jpg

The wheels had to go. Was back and forth on dropping a few grand to rebuild some BBS RS?s to a custom offset or doing a cheaper VW bug kinda look with some wider negative offset steelies and Vovlo hubcaps. Decided to go the less expensive route and spend the money I saved on a turbo upgrade, because 10psi just wasn?t cutting it haha.

Sanded off the primer and mounted up with some dope old school Portawall whitewalls.

6RMRpnMl.jpg

NWLuIsZl.jpg

4kZRticl.jpg

JDHRFc7l.jpg

Rolled, pulled, cut away the rear fenders?

DsW5P7Pl.jpg

awhMxGJl.jpg

ffUizXTl.jpg

Then picked up some rebuilt front calipers from Eric @ Hi Performance because I know from experience, it?s better to crash at 10 mph than it is at 60mph.

JqYkwUyl.jpg

Then started source the turbo upgrade. Picked up a ball bearing BX550 from JP Turbo (similar specs to the Garrett GT3071r), and some 810cc injectors.

BpNytmZl.jpg

sdQoz1rl.jpg

Just installed the injectors last weekend and am now in the process of getting it tuned.

That?s where I?m at today. Moving back to Chicago in a month and waiting for a few little surprises in the mail. But overall, super happy with the look, feel and performance of the car so far.

Bl126hol.jpg

r0xbiusl.jpg

74Q1dFMl.jpg

Did pick up a Recaro Profi SPG and threw it in, only to decide that I didn?t really love how it looked. So as of today it?s back to the stock driver seat. (Recaro is for sale if anyone is interested haha)

FfjZyVCl.jpg

Looking forward to keeping this one for a few years. I'll keep this thread going with any of the new stuff I end up doing.

Thanks for looking!

Yeah, we all drooled over that car when it was for sale. Glad to see it go to a good home.

I'm really digging the whitewalls...

Yeah, we all drooled over that car when it was for sale. Glad to see it go to a good home.

I'm really digging the whitewalls...

Thanks! After having them on the Chevy I was sold. I'll probably put them on every car I own from here on out (new and old) haha

Beautiful stuff,
love the colour,
love the tyres,
love the hub-puller.

Thank you!

I Really love the car men. keep doing the good work and please we need some movies of this car !

Appreciate it! I'll try and put up a few videos once it gets tuned

Gorgeous car. I hope I get to see this in person when you bring it to Chicago!

Thanks, I def want to make it out to some meets when I get back. You should PM me some info about any upcoming get togethers when you have a chance!

Thought this car was a BAMF when it was for sale. Even moreso now. Gives me ideas for my Amazon wagon.

Right on! Thanks man.

This is sacrilegious, but beautiful sacrilege. :lol:

Awesome work so far!

Haha, truly not a pursuits Volvo, but to each his own right? Appreciate the kind words!

Very very nice.
I know this car from a Youtube film showing its features by a previous owner.
I really dig the wheels you put on.
So what does a car like this go for out there??

Nice cars, wow the previous owner put some work into that 122, looks incredible! The wavy paint is driving me nuts though!

Would you mind posting some pictures of how they mounted the radiator and intercooler? I want to try a different radiator so I can keep the front hood seal.

Last edited:
Nice cars, wow the previous owner put some work into that 122, looks incredible! The wavy paint is driving me nuts though!

Why do you nitpick on everybody's cars?

Wavy paint on a beautiful amazon.
Wrong hood on the fire-breathing monster.
800hp, 300kph Whiteblock swap...and you talk about how rattly it must be.

C'mon man. Nobody likes a downer.

Way cool Amazon - and I like the mods you've done to it since acquisition!

Did you happen to find the car via Daily Turismo? It was being sold in Nov. 2013 by one of our regular tippers to the site:

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2013/11/10k-seller-submission-1967-volvo-122s.html

And previously in Oct. 2013, in a far less polished state:

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2013/10/5k-drive-it-like-you-hate-it-1967-volvo.html

I have to admit that my cohorts and I seriously considered picking this thing up (we didn't have the means, although I'm sure you'd highly recommend it).

Back