• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Stalls when cold

LC4CARL

Aero challenged
'87 245.

Recently started stalling when cold. Starts fine. Runs fine when warm.

Read some threads, the Bentley, etc. Started to poke around and saw a sensor on the driver's side of the block (not head) broken off. EFI temp sensor? Further research confirms it is not. Darn.

Shown here, below and to the right of, the white gauge sending unit.

005-M.jpg

This is the lid:

010-M.jpg

And the base:

020-M.jpg

019-M.jpg

Number "642" is stamped on it. What is it? Could this contribute to my cold driveability issue?

No coolant or oil on the sensor in question. Knock sensor?

Looking for the engine code thing on the driver's apron. Must be buried.

Probably hose out the IAC to start.

Let the learning begin...

Saw this today. Classic.

014-XL.jpg

The great thing about LS-powered Volvos is that they move through space and, yes, even time, at such a mind bending velocity that even detonation is left behind in a haze of blue-black tire smoke.

So I hosed out the cold idle thing. Kind of grungy. WD40'd the connector. Still stalls. Hope to scrounge a knock sensor tomorrow.

Thats a knock sensor. Wont cause running issues unplugged.

When cold running issues show up, you find out the resistance values of the coolant temp sensor, get a wiring diagram and find out which pin at computer/s the wire/s terminate, and then backprobe, not frontprobe, and see if it's in spec!

I use special needles:

awoqk4.jpg

zilqnp.jpg

This is techB doing some science:

iqxa8m.jpg

The great thing about LS-powered Volvos is that they move through space and, yes, even time, at such a mind bending velocity that even detonation is left behind in a haze of blue-black tire smoke.

Right but ask yourself if you love your wife more than you like your rusty heap.?.?.?.

Went to the salvage yard for a knock sensor. Walked out with: a glove box, a roof rack, an arm rest, a rear wiper arm (with plastic nut cover intact), various interior clips and fasteners, and two knock sensors. $50. Bam!

Well. I played with the idle speed thing on the bottom of the throttle body and she seems pretty happy. Don't know.

Got my new, used, knock sensor in. Seems Volvo used a few different ones over the years.

Wife seems happier now that it's not stalling at every intersection.

Back