home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 07-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Default I bought the worlds slowest 240

And I love it. '82 244GL with a D24 and BW55.

Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
volvo 4 life
Board Member

Nice! I've got the twin to that one, same color and everything with a bw55. Very slow but definitely a fun car. Actually looking to sell it as I just picked up a 760 turbo diesel. Looks like you got a very clean oneand if you need help with the timing belt I have all of the tools to replace it.

Step 1. Push into sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious Todd View Post
I was hitting the brakes real hard and the grille flew out and I ran it over
Only on a Volvo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
A volvo 240 with the front wheels chopped off would be a reliable all wheel drive vehicle.
volvo 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

Looks nice! I'd imagine you have to floor it most of the time
Old 07-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Super clean!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Råda View Post
Looks nice! I'd imagine you have to floor it most of the time
I hit probably 90 (85mph speedo) downhill on the highway but the temp gauge started moving up. I'll check the coolant. I did a 0-60 and got about 18-19 seconds.

Also it's significantly easier to turn left than right. Dunno what's up with that. Drives pretty damn good otherwise. I took a brief look through the service history and it had a headgasket and belts done at some point.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

What do these get for MPG?
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:00 AM   #7
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Guy said around 25. The 3 speed probably cancels out any benefits of the diesel, lol..

Was driving at night and the high beam relay failed on. Quick fix, just swapped it out with one from the parts car. Sorry, everyone who passed me on the way home..
Old 07-16-2017, 01:45 AM   #8
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

I thought that was you.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer

Good colour.
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I remember Car&Driver tested a mid-late sixties Mercedes diesel sedan back in the day. A '68 220D I think - their smaller 4 door sedan with a 2.2L 4 cylinder non-turbo diesel. They claimed it was the slowest vehicle they'd ever tested. They said they couldn't use the word "accelerate" - rather, it 'gathered speed.'
Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 AM   #12
volvo 4 life
Board Member

Mine also turns left much easier than it does right. Very strange that both 240's I've ever heard of doing this are diesels. If I drive the car with the power steering belt disconnected it turns perfect both ways, just harder than normal due to no assist. I figure it's got to be a problem with the rack, maybe the spool isn't centering properly?
volvo 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #13
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Jealous! Nice find. I want a diesel 240.
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 190k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
James10952001
Board Member

IIRC the 0-60 time was rated at something like 22.5 seconds. Best get out and push! These things sorely needed a turbo, and should really have never been offered with a slushbox.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #15
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James10952001 View Post
IIRC the 0-60 time was rated at something like 22.5 seconds. Best get out and push! These things sorely needed a turbo, and should really have never been offered with a slushbox.
I got about 19 seconds when I tested it.

It drives so nicely that I don't even care. Also if I feel like going fast(ish) I can just get into my other 240.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #16
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Time for a turbo.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #17
Cwazywazy
Board Member

There is some horrendous bodywork done by the grandson of the original owner. But at least the paint is good.

http://imgur.com/a/c8GD3

Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #18
James10952001
Board Member

Well at least when the floor rusts through you can Flintstone it.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #19
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

My Dad "rebuilt" our G20 van with chicken wire and Bondo. Now you know where I got my skills.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #20
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
I get about 30-38, but M46 and I drive slowly (not that there's really a choice...just more or less noise/smoke really).

The 3-speed auto is remarkably slow (only choice in 2 series), but in turbo form the ZF 4-speed auto box works nicely with the diesel. No boost loss on shifts, keeps it in the power band.

Could be worse, could be an '79-'80 Euro diesel taxi with a 3-speed auto and a D20 (only 5 holes and N/A)? Or a Vanagon...1.6L rabbit diesel on its side...

The steering rack is probably an early cam and needs to have the assist left-right balance adjustment done (easy enough) if not leaking and viable otherwise. No fun when they get like that.

If it heats up under load, it can be a cooling system malady or seeping HG. Much less expensive to repair that sooner rather than later...or not at all if you got the car inexpensively enough and don't break down somewhere crucial

I have the 700 M46 diesel bits, but IIRC the bell housing is clocked differently as the engine stands up straighter in 700s. I think only the flywheel/clutch fork and bushing for the M46 input shaft are the same. Everything else is different. I don't think there's an easy way to use the larger 700 clutched cooling fan with the auto trans cooler in the radiator, though maybe the shroud is large enough to accept it. Most original diesel radiators are pretty woefully slugdged up by now.

A 3-row, shorter hoses, tropical fan clutch and MLS HG and studs are nice upgrades for those. Diesel engine with a disaster of a T-belt setup and 4 cam bearings , weird life-threatening cold start device on the injection pump, and crank pulley that has to be tightened by hand to an outlandish torque value.
I passionately hated them trying to make book time on them. Take forever to repair, everything strangely in the way for how spacious the engine bay is, leak like a sieve, 1/8" cracks allowable per the book in the head between valve seats, wind up tired and stinking of diesel. . Mostly blotted those memories out.

Engine absolutely must be warmed up properly, oil pickup needs to be in good order, thin synthetic oil for cold running, good injector spray pattern and the cooling system has to be in good shape. It can't lose hardly any coolant under load or have anything marginal or else it usually ruins the head.

I really liked my euro audi 4000 with a 5-cylinder turbo diesel of that engine...had that at the same time as the peugeot turbo diesel.
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 07-18-2017 at 12:04 AM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #21
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I used to have a 81 245. It had a 3.31 axle in it with weak ass B21F power. Even with a M46 it was diesel slow. It would have been an interesting race against a 240 diesel. I was so glad to get rid of that car.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #22
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Looks like the head was rebuilt in 06. I've been letting it fully warm up before driving it "fast," as I always do. I raced my friends Outback earlier. It went about as well as you'd expect.

Got some synth 5w40 Delo and a filter. Good oil for it?

As for the cooling system, it all looks good to me tbh. Coolant level is fine and it's a nice green color. I cleaned what little gunk there was in the condenser. It has the air scoop and there's no fan clutch. I haven't driven it on the highway since bringing it home but when I was trying to keep up with the Outback with my foot welded to the floor I saw the temp gauge move slightly higher than normal.

Also I jumped the AC pressure switch and the compressor kicked on, so just need to get a drier for that and see if it holds vacuum. I wonder if it'd benefit from a 960 efan swap. Same radiator, right? My turbo 240 has a 740 efan and it works great even with a hot condenser and intercooler in the way of the rad.

As for powersteering, would it be easier to just swap in the rack from my parts car? I believe it's a ZF, though I'm not sure.

Last edited by Cwazywazy; 07-18-2017 at 05:16 PM..
Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #23
Cwazywazy
Board Member

I finally have a car that's actually worth washing.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #24
alschnertz
Enough already!

Regarding the overheating, it wouldn't surprise me that the 35-year old radiator is having flow issues.

Maybe the one in your parts car is better?
Old 07-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #25
dl242gt
Can play the blues

You can use a temp gun and check the inlet and outlet temps right next to the fittings and get a good idea of how well the radiator is working.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote