home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
745T+
Board Member
 
745T+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Default Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) in P1800

One of our members, Volvero, made this power steering conversion in a 1970 1800E. I shipped the Electric Power Assist Steering parts to him in Santiago, Chile. The EPAS parts are hidden under the dash.







745T+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It
 
CAPT_BLOTTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas City
Default

Wow! Is the EPAS from an existing vehicle or is this more like an aftermarket "universal" part?
__________________
Hello My Glorious!

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
745T+
Board Member
 
745T+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
Wow! Is the EPAS from an existing vehicle or is this more like an aftermarket "universal" part?
I deal in used EPAS units from Saturn Vues. Chevrolet Equinox, and Pontiac Torrent. They require an electronic adapter to send a simulated electronic speedometer signal to the EPAS unit. The level of assist is adjustable. The used units require adaption into the existing steering column. I sell cores to http://www.epowersteering.com/index.html. Ken makes really nice kits from the same basic EPAS units, but the cost is higher.

Last edited by 745T+; 04-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
745T+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
volvero
Board Member
 
volvero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Santiago de Chile
Default

745T+ is the man, he sent everything I needed, the electric motor, column couplings, control unit, potentiometer, etc. The installation requires welding and creativity but the effort is really worth it.
__________________
850 Turbo '95
M56 swaped, Rica tune, 16T turbo, angled flange, 3" downpipe, IPD swaybars, 302 mm brakes.

PV544 '61 (B20, R cam, twin Solex C.45 DDH carbs, FI head, electronic ignition, 122 disc brakes, IPD front swaybar)

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...=1#post4398485
volvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer
 
MDVLN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Varies
Default

That's pretty crafty boys, nice stuff.
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

EPAS is becoming a really popular swap in rally cars. Quick manual rack and EPAS is reasonable inexpensive for most cars.
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury
 
Kjets On a Plane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland
Default

__________________
How PSI a stock can support?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 10-18-2018 at 10:57 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Aptos, CA
Default

That's really tidy. I agree with Kjets; the manual steering on my 140 is by far its worse feature. I thought I counted almost 4 turns last time I had the front in the air.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
hiperfauto
Board Member
 
hiperfauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Default

4.15 for 140's actually. 1800's and 122's are 3¼.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Aptos, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
4.15 for 140's actually. 1800's and 122's are 3¼.
That makes sense. I'd love to address that at some point. This looks like a possible option.

Any idea what the current draw is on one of these?
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
745T+
Board Member
 
745T+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
That makes sense. I'd love to address that at some point. This looks like a possible option.

Any idea what the current draw is on one of these?
With the key on, and no steering effort, the electronics require fractions of an amp. This unit is usually fused at 50-60 amps, and the fuse never blows from steering use. The amps required will be dependent on load. The power to the motor needs to be connected directly to the battery. Under heavy load the battery supplies current if the alternator can't keep up. The motor draws current only under steering load. Under steering load, the motor is silent.
745T+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #12
Brandonium
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL.
Default

Definitely interested in something like this on my 142e as I will be running 235's. Did you install a dial or switch to adjust sensitivity? Would be nice to see pics of where the welding and required modifications are.
__________________
------------------------------------------
2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium

1971 Volvo 142e

1977 International Scout II

Wish List

Saab Sonnet III

1979 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ60)

Whatever else tickles my fancy.
Brandonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:08 AM   #13
Janspeed
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
EPAS is becoming a really popular swap in rally cars. Quick manual rack and EPAS is reasonable inexpensive for most cars.
understandable.
a hydraulic setup robs power from the crank even when the car drives straight.
Also, stock hydraulic powersteering setups do not like sustained high revs, the hot oil tends to trap airbubbles. i have seen this happen on a 740 rally car. Hydraulic assisted racks also seem to resist really fast steering inputs.
yeah, you could instal an underdrive pulley and an oil cooler but having an EPAS seems to be the better solution.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #14
LloydDobler
Board Member
 
LloydDobler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Littleton CO
Default

I'm not ready yet but I definitely want to do this in my 122.
__________________
'66 122 - Collectible project
'06 V70R M66 - Modded Daily Driver
'03 C70 T5M - Modded summer fun car
'05 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car
LloydDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
745T+
Board Member
 
745T+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
Definitely interested in something like this on my 142e as I will be running 235's. Did you install a dial or switch to adjust sensitivity? Would be nice to see pics of where the welding and required modifications are.
A potentiometer is used to adjust the amount of assist. Most people set it and forget it, but you can adjust from full assist for parking, no zero assist at highway speeds.
745T+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
Harrison
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Question Electric Power Steering

I read that we can install Ford Focus 2012-2015 electric rack and pinion assembly on the Amazon.

Do any member know of such information. If true, it will be a major saving than using the ez power unit.
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 AM   #17
mck1117
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I read that we can install Ford Focus 2012-2015 electric rack and pinion assembly on the Amazon.

Do any member know of such information. If true, it will be a major saving than using the ez power unit.
The focus is a rear-mount rack, behind the front wheels/subframe. This means that if you put it in front like on a Volvo, it will go the wrong way. Turning right on a Volvo rack makes the left tie rod shorter, and on the Focus rack it will make the left tie rod longer.

Edit: oops, the steering arms are behind the axle on the Amazon/1800. The above only applies to 2/7/9 which have the rack in front.

Last edited by mck1117; 05-31-2018 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: oops
mck1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #18
VB242
Mojo Stealer
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

The guy with the super nice 240Z at autocross put the Saturn/torrent one with the kit on his car. Said he has it set at 1/4 and it's plenty of assist.
__________________
1980 primer JDM flares franken-242DL, 1989 silver 780 sienna rear spring nivomat delete
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #19
Cwazywazy
Board Member
 
Cwazywazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Granby CT
Default

How's the steering feel though? My only experience with EPAS is in a RAV4, and it sucks.
__________________
I don't know what I have
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #20
89_740Turbo
Board Member
 
89_740Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: New Jersey
Default

Well, this is probably one of the niftiest things I have seen. A++ for creativity and implementation!

Imagine all of the p1800 owners out there who have no idea this exists
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #21
Brandonium
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL.
Default

I believe there are other factors at play here such as the Rav4 having ****ty overall steering feel to begin with. EPAS in various vintage make/models should not take away that steering feel if you have it dialed so that it mostly assists at lower speeds. I would not want any EPAS system to assist my 142 at any speed over 15MPH it's only that slow speed parking lot BS that gets to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
How's the steering feel though? My only experience with EPAS is in a RAV4, and it sucks.
Brandonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
Cwazywazy
Board Member
 
Cwazywazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Granby CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
I believe there are other factors at play here such as the Rav4 having ****ty overall steering feel to begin with. EPAS in various vintage make/models should not take away that steering feel if you have it dialed so that it mostly assists at lower speeds. I would not want any EPAS system to assist my 142 at any speed over 15MPH it's only that slow speed parking lot BS that gets to me.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The Yota's steering is completely lifeless and indirect feeling.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mck1117 View Post
The focus is a rear-mount rack, behind the front wheels/subframe. This means that if you put it in front like on a Volvo, it will go the wrong way. Turning right on a Volvo rack makes the left tie rod shorter, and on the Focus rack it will make the left tie rod longer.

Edit: oops, the steering arms are behind the axle on the Amazon/1800. The above only applies to 2/7/9 which have the rack in front.
122/1800/142/145 all front steer. Sure you can flip the arm on the back of the spindle, but factory is front.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
Build it, break it, build what broke stronger, lather, rinse, repeat.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
Brandonium
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL.
Default

True! And I feel you could get yourself into trouble if you have too much assist at faster speeds. Feedback from the road and how the vehicle handles tells me how we are doing road vs car wise and having that feeling removed could put you in a ballsy situation you're not really prepared for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The Yota's steering is completely lifeless and indirect feeling.
Brandonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.