• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo B230FT 2.3 liter converted to 2.5 liter

A

Anonymous

Hi, My brother is a marine mechanic. Not military, he works on boats. He says the venerable volvo Penta engines that are for boats are 2.5 liter, but he said he thought the engine is very similiar to the B230FT.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone using the parts of one of these penta engines. Whatever you call it, longblock swap or whatever.

How feasible is this, and what else is possible if that is not. Would it be possible to remove the B230FT and put the Penta in and hook it up to the turbo and transmission?

Anyone know if the Penta engines are even Beefier than the B230FTs?

[quote:2c9b26cae3]Hi, My brother is a marine mechanic. Not military, he works on boats. He says the venerable volvo Penta engines that are for boats are 2.5 liter, but he said he thought the engine is very similiar to the B230FT.
[/quote:2c9b26cae3]

Sort of correct: only 151 and 171 motors have the extra 200 cc's. I'm sure he has this clear, but just confirming it, so you or someone else doesn't spend money buying and/or shipping a basically equal-to-car spec motor. The engines generally are almost identical to car ones, with similar production changes, yearly updates etc.

[quote:2c9b26cae3]I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone using the parts of one of these penta engines. Whatever you call it, longblock swap or whatever.

MVP, some Swedes, a few others, it's a good system. There is not a lot of cross over between auto and marine mechanics or this would be more common occurence. Also, the quantity of marine engines seems quite low, though that might just be my observation being more or less a midwesterner. See below...
[quote:2c9b26cae3]
How feasible is this, and what else is possible if that is not. Would it be possible to remove the B230FT and put the Penta in and hook it up to the turbo and transmission?
It's fairly feasible to exchange the short block- there are added complexities in adapting the head, which I am working through with a marine head core. I have not got a spec for compression ratio- just haven't spent the $25 to get a manual at this point- but it might be a little high for high boost turbo's- but great for low pressure turbos making good off boost power, or base power.
[quote:2c9b26cae3]
Anyone know if the Penta engines are even Beefier than the B230FTs?[/quote:2c9b26cae3]

They have a forged (not cast like car-spec) crank and some have nicer heads and chambers. Definite pluses, yes. There are some years- check the 'passenger' side rear of the head- to avoid- in Aq151 the years to avoid are 85-very late 88. The heads are still OK, but the crank and rods are undesirable.

Obviously I have collected a bit of info on this concept, but need a parts source. If you could email me contact info for yourself, your brother, or a marine motor salvage yard he feels has good prices and stock, that'd be great... I'm iadr@hotmail (.com)

I did some snooping around for used AQ 151 heads and found there basically are none in alberta, but I can get a rebuilt for $2600 or a brand new one for the low low price of only 4000CDN :freak:

yes, I know there won't be many on the prairies, but apparently they're hard to come by on the coast as well, much more limited production than the automotive engines...

*trying to sound casual* Nahh, them are worth mebbe $100, tops...

(Your post lends irony to my 'see below' phrase in the original reply, doesn't it?)
Btw, can we do role call here? between Ebay and here and mails, I have no idea who who are- you're Ebay of GhostVolvo, I think, which I still don't know... I'm just iadr (my four initials) wherever I go..which I'm sure will bite me in the :booty: someday.

Canuckvolvo said:
I did some snooping around for used AQ 151 heads and found there basically are none in alberta, but I can get a rebuilt for $2600 or a brand new one for the low low price of only 4000CDN :freak:

Ahhhh.......$4000. Canadien.......Does that not work out to about $1500.00 Merikanski? Here is your hot lick guys!! :badboy:

JL.

Hey hey, this is davidmacq44 on hotmail. My brother is asleep at the moment, but from talking to him in the past about this I think he might know where a couple of engines are. Or maybe it's that he comes across them sometimes, not sure.

He did tell me that they aren't sought after in marine world for performance aspects. So he thought he might be able to get one for a good price.

I just got a 91 945T a couple months ago. Drove an 80s something 240DL a few years back. I prefer the 940. :)

Back