home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 06-22-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

Default 91 740se.

Last Update: Oct 30, 2008

Car is currently in storage for the time being. Hopefully get back to it early next year!

Engine:
A-cam
APC breather
3" turbo back w/magna flow muffler and cat
Intake w/TaskMule's heatshield
TurboXS boost controller
Forge diverter valve
16G/12B turbo with pre-90 ported manifold

Transmission:
Getrag 265 w/adapter
Spec stage 3 kevlar clutch (holds great!)
quick note on the swap for automatic cars, get all the parts ready, like lines, master and slave cylinders before you start, it reduce the time frame by huge amount, and when using brand new parts, they can be costly, for example, I used as many brand new OEM parts as possible during the swap, and I've spen roughly $3000 Cdn incld the clutch, which its a lot for this swap.

Suspension:
Custom coilovers
EST front sway bar end links
Kiri's rear adjsutable panhard rod
IPD rear sway bar

Exterior:
Hova clear tails
stock SE bodykit
Dave Barton's Prancing moose stickers.
side markers.
1QWIKBOX Swedish plate.
940 E-codes (thanks to Chad242ti)
OEM fogs
clear e-codes corners

Interio:
Momo shift knob
780 rear seats
various autometer gauges

Brakes/wheels:
KVR black-coated slotted discs all around
KVR carbon pads all around
EST braided lines all around
ATE blue brake fluid
Custom wheel adaptors from Wheeladaptors.com to fit 5x120 on 5x108
Alstadft 3pcs wheels, 19x8.5 and 19x9.5
215/35/19 front, 235/35/19 rear

stereo:
Alpine CDA-9884 HU
BA components up front, MA at the rear door, 2x Panasonic 12" subs, ol' school Sony amps

Plans for 2009: I want to rebuilt the car from top to bottom, I've been saying it for years, as soon as I'm done with the Renault, the Volvo is getting it.

back in 2001, I had Apex springs on the car, it roughly lowered 1.5" all around, I loved it for 2 months then I hated it, it also had 3" exhaust, home made intake, boost controller and Dunlop tires.

I was happy for that since I was still in HS, then in 2003 I graduated and decided to chop springs cause I'm cheap, with help of Ryan Wynott (some of you remember him), he was extremely helpful and a really nice guy, too bad some didn't like him as much. He also helped me to install KYB shocks and struts, he has been MIA for over 2 yrs, I hope he gives me a shout when possible.

before I head off to univ, I did some huge burn-outs and sent 'em to Sports Compact Car and it was voted in for top 100 burn-outs in Dec 2003 issue, which I didn't know until people on here told me so and I blitz out of my res in the cold to get one.

then through out 2003-2004 school year I worked really hard with some part time job and saved up hardcore, and I was on student loan so had some assistance from the govn't to ease up my tution burden. Then I purchased one of the last brand new set of coilover from John McMaster (aka yellowbrick... i think)

then I got Kiri's adjustable panhard rod and rear IPD sway from Dan BoxCarDriver2

as you can see, I like burn-outs

while in Detroit during the winter of 2004

this was my "drift" set-up, sadly during one weekend I was home I managed to have close encounter with curb/wall, I was on my way home thru the twisty and I spun the car and hit the curb hard, almost hit the wall and fall of the cliff, it was told by the officer there was a previous accident 1hr prior and possibly oil left on the ground, they later closed the road for the night.

summer of 2004, I spent $2500 Cdn on fixing the car, it was fine with very minimal scracthes to the rear bumper, then I found out with the 8" springs I couldn't lower the car at all while the Hydras were back on, so I bought Eibach 6" springs with 450lb/in rate up front but the rear remain the same.

and I was able to lower the car with a rake.

I like my cars to be low (yet driveable)

last thing I could afford in 2004 summer was Hova taillights, these costs me an arm and a leg and took me a very long time to get 'em here, it was well worth it, I believe I"m the only one to have 'em in Canada, perhaps North America. Mods ended there in 2004. Oh and I bought taskmule's heat shield, looks lot better.

old

old on the right, new on the left

new set up

the lights:

that was it for 2004.

many pix to update the car's progress, it won't get too far, but hopefully it'll be nice and steady for next 1 yr and 1/2 to get to the level I think I'd be happy for a couple of years, so I can focus on my career and get a Ferrari or something.

Last edited by Chigga 744SE; 01-14-2011 at 10:08 AM..
Chigga 744SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
boosted
Board Member

yes i did the same thing.. sold for 2 weeks then bought it back
Old 06-22-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
dasvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigga 744SE
coming up: realize I was an idiot and loss money in the deal, so I think I'm going to get a BOV so I can be gangsta.
You'll always be a gangsta in our eyes
Old 06-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Neil Peart
2nd gear burnouts...

YESSSS MAN!!!! VERY GOOD!!

Man chigg, you sucurred me for a sec.

92' 244- E-Fan, PS/AC Delete, Cut Springs, Single Muffler-No Cat **Burned to the Ground**

Now I drive a Honda Pilot...
Neil Peart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
acbarnett
SAAB defector

Quote:
figure might as well start putting this here since I realize I can have more fun in a Volvo with insurance money for a BMW m3 than actually be able to drive a BMW m3
Smart man, I too have said "no" to BMW with the intentions of making a more kickass volvo (though though declining my folk's suggestions that I get a 540i was a real test of the volvo faith) Glad to see you chose volvo too.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
olov
doing something stupid

get fwd 17-18's :-) have a nice day

glad about your car, it was a bad few weeks when everyone was selling their rides
not made for volvo parts: coil packs, injectors, wastegate, turbo, intercooler, bov, battery, radio, vacuum lines, wheels, shocks, springs, fuel pump, gauges, seat, ecu, wbo2, air filter, headlights, and dredded valve springs and retainers
olov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

put up a new story line.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:58 AM   #8
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Still one of the few 700/900 on the board I really like. Glad to hear you still have it (or, have it AGAIN).

-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:00 AM   #9
acbarnett
SAAB defector

put propus rims on it, that would be teh hottness
acbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
mikep
The MP

This is starting to look more like a project thread. Some details, history, pics of "construction".
Keep editing and adding details as you think of them, Chigga.

We will start editing out extraneous commentary.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #11
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

new update: I bought new rims today (June 25th)!!!!!!! HELL YEA!

I went to the cottage today to fix some pipings at first, after that I went to check out this guy who has some rims for sale with brand new tires, I went and saw the rims, and voila, they are mine. I have yet to pick 'em up, as we made an appointment of to make sure the rims are true rounded before I hand over the cash, and he owns a performance place, so it made things lot easier. The wheels should be on the car with spacers (yea..... fwd offset) in 1 week or 2, all I can tell you that these wheels were custom order so no1 else has them, which makes me a lot happier.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:05 AM   #12
dasvolvo

Hmm...... what are you gonna do with your old Hydras?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #13
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

slicks.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:13 PM   #14
dasvolvo

Quote:
slicks.
LOL, Nice
Old 07-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #15
760T man
Herp McDerpington

either do the RRFPR or browntops, don't do both.

edit: new wheels? you gonna be selling the hydras?
old stuff
brickspeed
"Meth might be a hell of a drug but it does wonders for intake air temps.." -Sam (RoadRacer4Life)

Last edited by 760T man; 07-02-2005 at 08:49 AM..
760T man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #16
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

Default Update: July 2nd.

no Cullen read the bloody posts above you, I need the hydras, I'm going to sell the tires thou.

Update: so two weeks have gone by and I'm finally able to squeeze sometime out to pick up something. The day as July 2nd goes by like this (with some pictures)

1030AM: Woke up and brush teeth, I'm surprise I actually woke up cause I came home from Hamilton around 5AM and passed out right away, shower and made me some fat ass breakfast to ease up the hangover. Btw, Funky Monkey r0x0r for Canada day, best Canada day ever.

1230PM: what? what are those??? money???

yes........ MONEY!

100PM to 200PM: talking to the shop owners and bragging about how fat chicks love me last night, hey, they need love too.

200PM: wtf are those? Toyo? is it some HRE for the Lexus? nah........... may be if the school decide to pay for my tution, but no rims for the Lexus this year. NO SOUP FOR YOU!

whoa, more in the backseat???? what's going on?

ahhhhhhhhh RIMS! OMFGHI2U!!!! if you are familiar with BMWs, then yes those are Hamman PG2s, but NO they are NOT REAL Hamman, since real ones costs about $5500 USd a set, I picked these up from a local dude who owns a wheel shop got these Hamman replicas from Alb-Eintz (German wheel company, good thing about German replicas is that they are TUV approved), these replicas are custom ordered since they don't have 5x108 pattern, they are all BMW pattern and it's custom also due to the offset, most were in the high 20s, but this one is 38mm offset, he should've gotten 'em in like 25mm offset, then I'll only need 5mm spacers.... stupid fwds, these were on a 850 btw.

yes..... P-zero rosso

and yes, like TI said, I'm a rubberband man, 225/35/18, from the side, the tires have tad bit of stretch look, that's EURO!

I ordered H&R Spacers on tuesday thru the sellers, 20mm thanks to Towery's insight, but apparently they come with longer studs and I have no idea how to change studs, so it might be interesting, spacers should be here by next thursday, so the wheels won't be on for a week, bugger............. tomorrow: Turbo install and some simple tune ups.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #17
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

update on July 3rd, the turbo and other shiznit were suppose to go in today while Phil (Ajax###) suppose to come by, then we realize I don't have a new manifold gasket and he left the CBV assembly somewhere in his house, so no go today, probally will do it on tuesday, since I got two weeks off.

talked to the guy from the wheel shop, he confirm that the spacers should be here latest by thursday, so I gotta start working on the fenders and other small bits soon, and re-finish the headliner.

btw, I notice not many people read here, its kinda like your own small space that you can express yourself and not many people would give 2 fuks, I kinda like it, its nice and private, its like hey you, you bloody twat, I'm going to cripple you! And I <3 Korean BBQ, not to mention TAPs.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:06 PM   #18
olov
doing something stupid

it must suck to be so pimp
olov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #19
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

not yet my man, this summer is the start, I'm planning to participate in 2007 Toronto International Auto Show, the car won't be ready for 2006's auto show since the show itself its in late Jan-Early Feb, I'm hoping to get a feature in Modified (its Toronto based) may be next year or something a like. I try to learn as much as I can from the show car crowd, and from just a car's point of view, its all about the details.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #20
the poi
Chasing checkpoints

welcome to the 18's club
Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #21
JonnyScorch
Board Member

Looking good Sam!
JonnyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #22
wrbooz
Board Member

Default replacing studs

Chigga - I researched H&R spacers with the longer studs and my understanding is that it's not all that tricky to get the new ones fitted to the hub. PLEASE NOTE, this is only an explanation of the procedure that was described to me, I HAVE NOT swapped in longer studs yet myself, but the process does sound plausible {<<< Disclaimer clause; flame or correct the following process as you see fit.}

To remove old stud from hub, use big hammer and a disposable lugnut threaded on to first few threads of stud to bang it out of the hub (lugnut protects threads if you care to save them). May need to check for clearance on back of hub so you don't knock the head of stud into the ABS tone ring behind hub(?).

If you aren't removing the tone ring to install new studs, the head of each new stud will need to be clearanced to allow it to get past tone ring.

Here is the trick to getting the studs to seat in the hub. After feeding the threaded part of stud through hole in hub, bringing it as far through as possible, put the spacer on the hub and then a washer over the stud fush to the spacer. Next put a good lugnut on the threads and tighten it up to get the stud to pull into the hub, seating it. Sot the trick is (alledgedly) to use the spacer to have something to take up the length of the stud and pull/tighten against. No repeat twenty times. ;)

Hope this helps and of course I'm not responsible if all it does is screw things up for you. Others please throw in any tips they think of. Chigga hope you'll report how you do eventually get the studs in, whatever method. Thanks. -Boozer
Old 07-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #23
BoxDriver2

When i did the back, as i told Sam last night for the back, and yes, in front, the ABS may pose an issue, but i don't recall:

Remove the caliper

Remove the rotor

Remove the Ebrake spring on one side then you can rotate the hub to the open space in the assembly behind it and feed the new stud through.

Put the rotor on

I put a new stud through, put the end of an adjustable wrench down on the rotor face [tapered end to seat with the tapered end of the lug] and tighten, while holding the wrench to keep it from moving when tightening the lug down.

I have photos..
BoxDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #24
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

Default Update on July 6th

So the 16G/12B turbo went in, we faced some small problems but Phil did most of the work, I own the ****er. Ugh what! there are some small issues like a Garret CBV needs to be put in and spacers that will be done on saturday due to his busy schedule, so its all good.

old ported manifold + 16G turbo, too lazy to machine the 90+ manifold.

bye bye 13C

get the hell out of here already

WTF? A KIA MECH???? WTF IS THIS BS???? that's Phil btw, he's cool and he r0x0r cause I'm too fat to do any real work other than sit there.

and WTF? he drives a teg? I <3 the drop son, sick JDM sh1t.

there we go......

apparently my 13C is pretty mint, but seem the wastegate actuator is kinda bad, so the 90+ manifold with 13c will be for sale pretty soon.

more to come.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:02 AM   #25
BoxDriver2

Quote:
WTF? A KIA MECH???? WTF IS THIS BS???? that's Phil btw, he's cool and he r0x0r cause I'm too fat to do any real work other than sit there.

and WTF? he drives a teg? I <3 the drop son, sick JDM sh1t.

Phil has the "Well, i just broke something, but on someone elses car" look

Nice job, see you guys at CVCOA.
BoxDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote