home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
scubthebub
I Roll Freak

Default Car turns over, then stops suddenly

I've got a 92 944 with about 108k miles

I replaced the headgasket and havn't been able to start it since. I've just recently replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil wire, and coil. I got some starter fluid to see if that would kind of jump start it, but it didn't help.

When i turn the key it will start to turn over, then seem to hit a wall and obruptly stop turning over (dash lights go out and the gauges all die) and then starts turning over again. Sometimes when after trying to start it the oil light will come on, even it's full of fresh oil. I'd really like to get the car out of my driveway.

Any ideas what it could be, or what to check next?

98 S70GLT w/6000k HID conversion
I miss RWD
scubthebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Jacob Krizan
Yet Another Member.

Half dead battery thats not puting out enough cranking amps?

Just a guess....

best of luck
Old 01-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Jordan
Board Member

having this same problem with my car. my problem seems to be battery being out and on concrete for a while drained it. got it on a jump box giving it more power though.

1977 242DL
-Chiquita-

My Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
240Psycho
300- Club!

make sure the timing belt is all timed up right, Steve-o740s car wanted to start in reverse, cause he had the cam off by 180 degrees

Kyle with a
'91 244 (build in progress!)2.5L ̶1̶6̶V̶ 8V turbo T5 worldclass trans
'90 245 the work horse with 260k
04 S60R 6 speed
'00 S70 T5 for the wife
240Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
Lord_Athlon
Mr. Paul Walker Wannabe

It could be the starter solenoid, it could be cam timing or ignition timing lighting the mixture on the compression stroke
Jesus is my [only] hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
Actually it's the Roman symbol for Iron. Do you know what Rome was? It's kinda like Italy but older. Do you know what Italy is? It's kinda like Olive Garden but a whole country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkeiser View Post
I made sure to go throw down a nice rain drift through the Paul Walker turn since it's right on my way to work.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:08 AM   #6
scubthebub
I Roll Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon
It could be the starter solenoid, it could be cam timing or ignition timing lighting the mixture on the compression stroke
The timing belt is correct because the timing marks lined up on all 3 wheels, how would i check the other items.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
aleekat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Krizan
Half dead battery thats not puting out enough cranking amps?

Just a guess....

best of luck
I agree. Have you tried to jump start it?
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
scubthebub
I Roll Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat
I agree. Have you tried to jump start it?
yea i've got one of those battery tenders/jump start things. Although i don't know if i tust it, i'll try a new battery. Free 2 year replacement
Old 01-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
96DTM850
Board Member

Try a new battery or check the bettery terminals to make sure they're tight...I know I had a loose terminal before had the same problems you're describing. Sounds like you're not getting enough amps.
96DTM850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
undrtw
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend
my problem seems to be battery being out and on concrete for a while drained it.
You my friend, are WRONG! Don't blame the concrete.

Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

curtis
undrtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
yieldsign2
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrtw
You my friend, are WRONG! Don't blame the concrete.

Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

curtis
Are you sure the warning about concrete doesnt have more to do with temperature? Concrete is generally cooler temps then putting it on dirt, gravel, cardboard, wood, etc. Cold is a problem for batteries. They drain faster, and if they are not charged, and sit in teh cold the plates will warp and cause shorts, and thus a dead battery.

--------------------------------------^^CURRENTLY DRIVING^^------------------------------------
yieldsign2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:11 AM   #12
redrocket
Board Member

Pull the starter and have it tested. Check your wire connections at distributor/plugs.
redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #13
Unregistered

I tried to start a car with the crank 180 degrees out (8v safe engine), it had enough fuel in the combustion chamber to kick over a few turns and kicked huge backfiring bangs of smoke out of the throttle body!! LOL just about poo'd myself, but no harm done to it!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #14
Three Fat Tigers
Board Member

Location: ↓ Lynchburg, VA →| '89 740Ti | '90 760Ti | '92 240 | '94 940T | '96 960 | '96 M1

Check the plug wire firing order:

Otherwise, pull the #1 plug, visually/physically verify the piston at TDC and then check the cam timing mark again.