• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The 'New' '91 245 Volv-a-Rati

Car looks good man! I haven't seen those wheels before... Interesting... They look kind of wide, are they? Or is it just the tires? And what's the tint situation, it looks BLACK from the driver's side, yet you an see through the passenger side window through the windshield.

Jacob, it looks like your car has the metallic blue paint in that picture, does it?

Thanks!
The Orion wheels are 15 X 7 inch, AFIK the only 200/700/900 series wheel that was 15 x 7 inch except the one's that came on the 780, and were an accessory wheel for 90-92. Tires are 215/60's, nice and wide and BEEFY!

The tint is pretty dark, but this is Texas!
It isn't that dark from the inside, and has a reflective outside so it looks darker than it is. It came with the car.:cool:

Thanks!
The Orion wheels are 15 X 7 inch, AFIK the only 200/700/900 series wheel that was 15 x 7 inch except the one's that came on the 780, and were an accessory wheel for 90-92. Tires are 215/60's, nice and wide and BEEFY!

The tint is pretty dark, but this is Texas!
It isn't that dark from the inside, and has a reflective outside so it looks darker than it is. It came with the car.:cool:
Reflective and dark... That's cool, I'd like that, because I won't be able to go too dark, legally. If I can go with the legal darkness, AND reflectivity(that looks black like yours) it'd be sweet. Or does yours look like a mirror in some light? I don't like that, actually.
Yeah it's metallic blue.
Ah ha...

New Interior

The weekend passed, and again I spent most of it tearing out the interior of the 240. I got hold of some great condition seats and carpets. I shampooed everything and it's back in. All I need are some BLUE rear headrests for the wagon (TB"ers, pls find me some!)

Also got a new Volvo windshield put in (I can see!):omg:

After a few camping trips with the dog, and the usual weekends at the lake, there was about 1/4 inch of dog hair and slime over everything, not to mention a few dozen coffee mug spils, and food ground into the carpets. After pulling the old carpets out, I found a bunch of melted crayons, kid's toys and of course, lots of pocket change.

Wish I could keep the big dog from sliming the car, but the price I have to pay.

Looks like a new car inside. Even better, it smells like one.;-)

I need to find a new pic hosting site, I'll put some pic's up

New Zero Emissions Vehicle - The Volv-a-ratti

So the Volv-a-ratti aka Dogmobile is now a great dd, and putting lots of miles on, now 262k mi. Still racking up 30 mpg hiway, even with the VX cam, 4 bar fpr, and 16v injectors, and with a regular thrashing on back roads, dips to 25 mpg.

So, I had to get the annual emissions inspection, and yes it registered ZERO emissions!!
I was so surprised that I went back to the mechanic and asked if his machine was working. He said they tested it like 3 times, looked for exhaust leaks and couldn't believe it.

Their chief mechanic said he saw me drive up and told his techs "Wait 'til you test this car, it'll pass with flying colors!"
He remembered it from last year, and was amazed how clean it was then. They have never tested a car that read zero before.
It actually was 0.01% CO , 14 PPM HC @ 2500 rpm, 0.00% CO, 21 PPM HC @850 rpm. 02 was 0.8% which is incredibly low

So the moral of this story is that old bricks get better every year, especially with a little tlc
LH 3.1 FTW!

Here are some pic's of the car this year.
Blue91245_890_1024.jpg

Blue91245_255_768.jpg

sweet, dude! if only i could get that kind of fuel efficiency out of my 245 (i'm getting ~22mpg now).

although, i gotta agree with the ride-height complaints :-P

Still rocking 215/60's?
I've never heard of lh 3.1 thats pretty cool that it had zero emissions.

yeah, I still have the 215/60's on there. Great tires, these Bridgestones have 30 k mi on since last June when I put them on, and lots of tread left.
For those of you who've had a 245 with 195/70-14's on the steelies, these are not quite as tall, and don't have the tendency to hydroplane like the fat and tall 195's. They really soak up a lot of road bumps.

The emissions are'n really zero, but pretty low. I think it's really great since the car can run an 8 sec 0-60, tach out with lots of torqure, maybe better than some 740t's I've had, and still run the low emissions.

aka the air ride

Yeah, yeah,yeah. I'll take the ribbing from ya'll!

Having driven 245's for the past 12 yrs as a dd with low profile tires and IPD coils, I'm stayin' away from them on this one. I am completely convinced the handling, ride, and general feel of the car is much better. Even with the 'air ride tires'.

I considered using 205/60-15's on this car, but I don't want the speedo to be off +5 mph.

The only Volvo I had which I could say was a better ride, all things considered, was the '68 140 with R-Sport progressive springs and DeCarbon shocks, still at stock ride height. I used 205/60-14 Pirelli's on that car, which lowered it a tad.

I'm tellin you, if you drive as much as I do, long high speed trips, you just won't want low profile tires. It's from years of driving these bricks, and when you get in a grrove you know what feels best. I don't like my nuts to ache after doing the 1100 mi trip to Phoenix in day.

Yeah, yeah,yeah. I'll take the ribbing from ya'll!

Having driven 245's for the past 12 yrs as a dd with low profile tires and IPD coils, I'm stayin' away from them on this one. I am completely convinced the handling, ride, and general feel of the car is much better. Even with the 'air ride tires'.

I considered using 205/60-15's on this car, but I don't want the speedo to be off +5 mph.

The only Volvo I had which I could say was a better ride, all things considered, was the '68 140 with R-Sport progressive springs and DeCarbon shocks, still at stock ride height. I used 205/60-14 Pirelli's on that car, which lowered it a tad.

I'm tellin you, if you drive as much as I do, long high speed trips, you just won't want low profile tires. It's from years of driving these bricks, and when you get in a grrove you know what feels best. I don't like my nuts to ache after doing the 1100 mi trip to Phoenix in day.
Coolbeans I love the 215/60's on my car...you are not alone. I'd prefer them over most tires, I also drive alot so thats why I went with these tires also. Glad I am not the only one that thinks the same way.

Long time since I posted about the dd 245, essentially my dog's car.
Worked it over a bit this past year, put some stock-ish 195/65-15 Pirelli P5's on it (again, I'll stand by the tall profile tires for the kind of driving I do with this car).
I put a lot of work into the 245 over the summer, FIXED the A/C!!!, put in a new clutch, trans refurbish, fuel pump, odometer gear cleaned up the interior and a gave it a good wax.

So it looked like this at Lake Travis:
Travis_6_08_0102_sm.jpg

And last months meet at Ink's Lake
InksLake09Pics007_480.jpg

InksLake09Pics001_480.jpg

And the Midsommar meet in Tulsa:
MidsommarVOCAMeet2009065__480_001.jpg

Now it looks like this:

DSC01750.jpg

It was running, looking fine.

Then I ran into a Jag, crunched the front fender, left headlight.

The 17 yr old kid driving it was a look-alike for 'Erkle' and I'd seen him in this nice S-Type Jag a few weeks ago, driving it 20 mph in a 45 zone, looking like he was petrified scared he's crash it, leaning over the steering wheel with all 4 eyes, and I thought to myself, damn, that's an accident waiting to happen.:roll:

Then I came over a rise in a 55 zone the other night, there he was, doing 20, and couldn't avoid him. Smash:-(

I got the inner fender banged out, and is ready to hang a new fender & front clip. I just have to find a good set of parts still.
The sheet metal work wasn't too bad, took 2 hrs of hammering with the right tools. There was some prior damage from before I bought the car, so it was in need of the clip and some metal work, anyway.

Fender_inner03.jpg

I did find a spare e-code lens, has a small chip in it, but the bucket & reflector are OK and can put it back together without buying a whole new lamp assembly. I'll use the OEM parking light i have, too. The hood is OK, a small chip, no bends or dents, and the bumper is OK, just needs a new shock mount on the left side.

Looking for a fender & front clip, paint code 410 Lt Blue Metallic

Back