home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 04-21-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
klr142
Turbo, what?

Default Massive work starting tomorrow...

It's going to be nuts. Pat's taking my car to work tomorrow because he gets out of work at 2, while I stay until 5, so he can get a head start on things. We're swapping front subframes, and that's just the small part. During this, we're installing the oil pan, poly control arm bushings for the front, poly torque rod bushings in the rear, new springs(only 2 coils cut from the front, and 2 coils from WAGON rear springs in the back), new ball joints, new tie rod ends, different steering rack, new motor mounts, new tranny mounts, new strut mounts, SS brake lines, and a crank scraper. It might not sound like too much, but we're going to have to swap stuff from one subframe to the other, and all the installation of the other stuff, it's going to be a while. Oye. Then also some hammer "surgery" on the rear fenders to make way for 235/45-17 rubber.

A couple pictures of stuff...

No, I didn't do the welding... That's an O2 bung btw, anyone think that'll work pretty well? I sure hope so!

Bigger pictures here:
http://www.ovtuners.org/gallery/MY244?page=3

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow of the progress.

Last edited by klr142; 04-22-2006 at 08:43 PM..
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Vol242vo
Board Member

Looks like fun! Good Luck
Old 04-21-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
YLD244
Board Member

Good Job with the oil pan bung.

What benefit is the crank scraper??
YLD244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:00 AM   #4
rice killer
Board Member

wtf is a crank scraper.....and why do you need such wide tires, are you goin turbo?
rice killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
Poik
Backwards Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice killer
wtf is a crank scraper.....and why do you need such wide tires, are you goin turbo?
1. 235s are skinny.
2. No, he just put that bung in his oil pan for ****s and giggles.

Eric Olsson's 242 Turbo | 245 DL | 744 Turbo
Poik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
swedefiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poik
1. 235s are skinny.
[Butthead] huhu, he said bung [/Butthead]

I do like that. I will be copying this next week.
swedefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:29 AM   #7
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poik
1. 235s are skinny.

Like I explained on AIM, the tires are going to CURRENTLY be for handling and braking improvements. Massive improvements. Not to mention the BLING! factor.

Now to find a plug for it. Maybe just an old O2 sensor!? We'll see tomorrow. I'll look through what we have at work to plug it with.

YLD244, the crank scraper is one of those many little things you can do to your engine that give you a .001% improvement, that can add up to be a .01% improvement if you do enough things. I'm hoping for more than just that much of an improvement, but we shall see. It might also help keep more oil in the pan while going around long hard sweepers, instead of letting it ride up the side of the block. The scraper's main purpose is to reduce the oil "windage" that spins around the crank.

Now, if only I knew what all those little screws/nuts are for on the scraper...
Old 04-21-2006, 02:39 AM   #8
swedefiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142
Now to find a plug for it. Maybe just an old O2 sensor!? We'll see tomorrow. I'll look through what we have at work to plug it with.
Most places like NAPA sell a plug like this:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=251&page=1

Autozone has this kit locally for ~5 dollars. My exhaust shop gives them away (the plug part).
swedefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 AM   #9
klr142
Turbo, what?

Oooh. Sweet! Thanks man! I'll have to check into that tomorrow...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:37 AM   #10
djecko
Board Member

I hope that oil return is high enough.
djecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:56 AM   #11
coldfusion21
NA is so slow...

why such a random ass thread size? 18x1.5 i think, seems like a good AN fitting or even NPT fitting would have made tons more sense, but whatever floats your boat.

good luck on the work, im hoping i get the chance soon to say i have all that to do...
Old 04-21-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
shaved240
Board Member

the oil pan looks really nice...I'm sure the fitting is high enough as my fitting is about the same height and i have no problems
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD

on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungledorifuto View Post
ship me that m46 for 40 bucks and im game
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
pwschuh
Rolling...

Quote:
Now, if only I knew what all those little screws/nuts are for on the scraper...
I posted this in someone else's earlier thread about the crank scrapers. The extra nuts and threaded posts are for the attachment of a windage tray (which has yet to be designed for the redblock). Leave them on, make sure they're snug. If you remove the nuts there is a slight chance that the threaded posts that are pressed into the scraper could fall out into the pan. Don't want that.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #14
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion21
why such a random ass thread size? 18x1.5 i think, seems like a good AN fitting or even NPT fitting would have made tons more sense, but whatever floats your boat.
Because it is what we had to work with without me going somewhere and ordering something specific, and cheap. He just had them in his shop, so because of it's size, we figured it's good nuff. It's 14x1.25 I think(nvm, I don't think that), but we can just get an adapter to use an AN fitting(should be able to anyway, make that, BETTER be able to).

Alex, that should be more than high enough. You can't really make it ANY higher than that without getting into the curvature of the top of the pan where it flattens out for bolting onto the block. Not only that, but you wouldn't be able to get in between there to weld at the top... John(the Aspirator) and others have had ones lower than this without problems. So, I better be damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwschuh
I posted this in someone else's earlier thread about the crank scrapers. The extra nuts and threaded posts are for the attachment of a windage tray (which has yet to be designed for the redblock). Leave them on, make sure they're snug. If you remove the nuts there is a slight chance that the threaded posts that are pressed into the scraper could fall out into the pan. Don't want that.
Thanks for the heads up Paul, much appreciated, I think I do remember you posting that. Should I screw them the rest of the way up the posts? Or just leave them as they are, as long as the threads are fully into the locking material of the nuts?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
pwschuh
Rolling...

Quote:
Should I screw them the rest of the way up the posts? Or just leave them as they are, as long as the threads are fully into the locking material of the nuts?
I screwed mine down tight and threw some penetrating thread locker on them. Do whatever allows you to sleep well at night.
pwschuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
isaac
F*ck the police

I hate to be the guy to say it after all that work, but an O2 sensor really shouldn't be mounted with that level of exposure to oil, nevermind the fact that it'll be subject to hardly any exhaust gases.

That said, nice work on making it professional. I like how it'll probably actually work.
"If you, the citizen, deliberately vote for someone who won't give you health care over someone who will, you need to have your head examined, except you can't afford to have your head examined." - Bill Maher
1998 Volvo V70T5
1989 Volvo 244DL
1990 BMW 52(3)5i
and Matt Dionne still rides with me
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
740ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac
That said, nice work on making it professional.
+1 nice looking welds. I wish mine looked like that.

The return will be just fine. My bung is another inch and a half lower than that... in fact, it's below the leve of oil in the pan. That being said, I have never had any smoking problems in over a year using it.

The way you have it set up, the oil drains on top of the baffle which will then drain back into the pan. The level of he oil in the pan itself is just about at the bottom portion of the baffle, so you've chosen the best place in the pan to put the return. It'll work just fine.

kudos on some nice work.

Mike
Old 04-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #18
mercymotors

I might stop by the V shop after work today and see how things are going for ya. maybe even lend a hand. -slobodan
mercymotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
volvogeek
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedefiend
[Butthead] huhu, he said bung [/Butthead]

I do like that. I will be copying this next week.
Kyle needs TP for his bunghole! DO NOT MAKE HIS BUNGHOLE ANGRY!
volvogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #20
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwschuh
I screwed mine down tight and threw some penetrating thread locker on them. Do whatever allows you to sleep well at night.
Right on. For sealing, did you just use RTV between the scraper and the block? And then a regular gasket between the pan and the scraper? Did you let the scraper solidify up and in place before you put the pan on? Pat was considering just doing both things at once, with gaskets on both sides, AND RTV...

(currently taking a break from cleaning and painting things, reassembly takes place tomorrow)
Old 04-21-2006, 11:57 PM   #21
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac
I hate to be the guy to say it after all that work, but an O2 sensor really shouldn't be mounted with that level of exposure to oil, nevermind the fact that it'll be subject to hardly any exhaust gases.

That said, nice work on making it professional. I like how it'll probably actually work.
Oh yeah, I'm definitely not using an old O2 sensor. I guess there are nice plugs out there for me, so I'll be going that way, provided I can find one tomorrow morning.

And, yes, I'd like to do most everything on this car right, but there are some things I have to compromise with, like my current exhaust... :-\
Quote:
Originally Posted by 740ATL
+1 nice looking welds. I wish mine looked like that.

The return will be just fine. My bung is another inch and a half lower than that... in fact, it's below the leve of oil in the pan. That being said, I have never had any smoking problems in over a year using it.

The way you have it set up, the oil drains on top of the baffle which will then drain back into the pan. The level of he oil in the pan itself is just about at the bottom portion of the baffle, so you've chosen the best place in the pan to put the return. It'll work just fine.

kudos on some nice work.

Mike
Thanks for the confirmation on the drain, I was hoping to make it as good as possible in this type of situation, I think it came out well too.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #22
klr142
Turbo, what?

Progress is being made...

Yes, it's sideways, shoot me.

These pictures remind me of a meathouse where all the meat is hanging...

Damn Volvo and getting their undercoating EVERYWHERE! Grrr, what a PITA!

Don't look! I don't have my undercarriage on!

The goodies...

More pics tonight.

Last edited by klr142; 04-22-2006 at 01:27 PM..
Old 04-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #23
Vol242vo
Board Member

Man Kyle, it's gonna be a completely different riding experience!
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #24
pwschuh
Rolling...

Quote:
Right on. For sealing, did you just use RTV between the scraper and the block? And then a regular gasket between the pan and the scraper? Did you let the scraper solidify up and in place before you put the pan on? Pat was considering just doing both things at once, with gaskets on both sides, AND RTV...
Yes, on all counts. RTV between block and scraper, gasket between scraper and pan. Don't use 2 gaskets. I let the RTV set up a little bit before I put the pan and gasket on. Right before you put the pan on, don't forget to rotate the engine a last few times to check all of the clearances.
pwschuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #25
RedFridge
Board Member

That looks great!!

I recognize that shop!!
After hours work....loving it.
RedFridge is offline   Reply With Quote