• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Volvo

Gregerivn

My name is Greg and I am building a 1990 740 turbo volvo. So far most of the small stuff is done. Since i am starting this thread about 7 months into the build i will post pics of what has been done so far.
These are of when I bought the car in Feb of 06
DSC00854.jpg

DSC00853.jpg

DSC00852.jpg

The first thing to go was the original air box and in its place a cone filter. With that one mod I took it to the local track and ran a 15.959
DSC00890.jpg

After the track i lowered to car 2in and had a turbo cam from Ipd installed and put on a manual boost controller set at 12psi
DSC00912-1.jpg

szxwvIu.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

Since then thru the guidance of the fine folks at turbobricks.com i sourced an intercooler from an NPR box truck and installed it along with 4 injectors off of mid 80s ford 302 mustang engine and installed a afpr. Next to go on was a 3in down pipe with a 3in cutout back to a 2.5 mandral bent exaust and muffler sourced from TME out of sweeden. For safty I had a innovate wideband O2 sensor installed and to make sure the afrs are safe at wot in went custom performance fuel and ignition chips from sweeden. To cool the intercooler and radiator between runs at the track I installed an efan with manual switch the clearance was super tight and infact more work is needed to fit it in safely. Here are some pics of the engine bay as is before the turbo upgrade.
DSC01803.jpg

DSC01807.jpg

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

Timeslip.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

DSC01815.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

DSC01809.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

Here are the pics of the new turbo and wastegate
DSC01896.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01893.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

Last edited:
So the new turbo is going to wait till I am ready to got to the next stage. Till then I ported my manifold and 13c. Tell me how it looks. Can i port it more?
DSC01927.jpg

DSC01928.jpg

DSC01926.jpg

DSC01922.jpg

Well this is an old thread, but here is what has been going on. The car is now pretty much completely stripped with the exception of two race seats and a harness bar. The car weighs 2530 lbs without me in it and is pushing about 235whp. I ditched the previous exhaust setup in favor of a single 3 inch imco muffler with a turn down under the passenger seat. Some mods from last update are a ported 15g turbo running 22 psi aided by a SMC Methanol injection kit. I built a custom strut bar with proper mounting points for my strut plate bolts. I am now running about 2 degrees of negative camber in the front thanks to the free strut mount trick. A Nitrous Express wet kit is plumbed and awaiting the finishing wiring touches to get it going, I am hoping for 11's this season with the help of a 75 shot.
N2MMeEQ.jpg

x6pVwqh.jpg

bwXOtHE.jpg

I have been participating in autocross for the last 3 years now and have really enjoyed it. New things for the car now are a lower chassis brace, poly bushings all up front, coil overs with Konis, and a nice cage is in my near future.

Last edited:
This car is sick. I used to hate on automatics till I rode with Greg. Not only is he not blowing up transmissions as often (yer on #4 right) but this thing just squats and goes in a hurry. Hence the 1/4 mile numbers. I love this car and I can't even imagine how insane it'll be once you get your new plans iron'd out. Maybe keep your foot out of it a little so you don't wind up walking w/out a license like me eh?:-P(knocks on wood)

Last edited:
car is batsh*t insane, complete function over form kind of thing. awesome. go make a smoky video and post it. :nod:

So I just replaced the transmission again today and this time I did the accumulator modification. It shifts really firmly and feels good. Now I feel comfortable spraying a 75 hp shot. Looking for 11's this season. I also finished installing the rest of my Poly bushings for the front end and my coil-overs from RSI should be here Tuesday. I hope to post up pics from next weeks autox down here in Eugene.

Glad to see progress buddy! No pressure but I thought I'd let you know that your burn out marks are almost totally faded up here at the shop. That and John put a G80 in his 242 so he has been hard at work trying to lay a better patch.

Also.. HM is sponsoring Pacific Waterland at the end of the month in Woodburn. Come. Bring your car. Sit in the shade under our tent with me when you aren't mopping up the drag strip with all the tail dragger VWs. There are a handful of quick cars there as you know. Could be fun.

www.pacificwaterland.com

Back