home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
UsmcScott
Board Member

Default Delete the Middle MUFFLER & Replace with STRAIGHT Pipe

During conversations about streamlining the undercarriage, the drag created by the middle muffler was mentioned as being significant.

So my crazy question of the day is, what would happen if I eliminate the middle muffler altogether and replace it with a piece of straight pipe?

Pros, Cons, Consequences ???????

Shade tree twister
UsmcScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
jwernerny
Board Member

The "middle muffler" is just a resonator, not a muffler. If you remove it you will get a little better tone and a very slight increase in power.
jwernerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
holtzboy
Converted to Washingtonia

It will get slightly louder but shouldn't be anything to complain about. iPd's sport exhaust system is exactly this, just a rear muffler like a stock 240 turbo exhaust setup.

-79 242DLTURBO - SOLD, Goodbye Mustard

My feedback thread
holtzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Default muffler

You can eliminate it and it'll sound a bit better. Sometimes though, you get a drone resonance between 2k - 3k rpms. An exhaust tip with a resonator in it will flow better and cancel out that drone if you have it. If you don't have the drone resonance then one muffler will be fine.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F flowed 405 with enem V15 cam, True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 front grill Ecode park/turn lights with H4 Hella. 321k miles. Still running well with 322k miles.
1993 245 Classic, 360k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. Genuine Volvo stock over the axle exhaust=+30hp
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
fivealive
Board Member

yeah i removed the center section on one of my cars (b21f) because it was cheaper to use straight pipe than replace the rotted center muffler. It didn't really effect the sound much at all. In my experience, the sound of a non-turbo b21f is affected more by an increase in pipe diameter.

HOWEVER, if you are a tinnitus sufferer or just like a quiet car, I would probably leave the resonator on, as there is always the risk that it may be too loud for you.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
neptune
2.1L 2.3L 2.8L 2.8L 2.8L

I only have a rear muffler, has been that way since I bought the car. Actually it had a glasspack on it when I bought it. Loud. Too loud. Better with an actual muffler back there.
It will be louder without the middle resonator, but not a lot louder than stock. It isn't truck with no mufflers loud or fart can loud. Idle is just a little deeper, and it is a bit louder around 3-4k rpm. You won't be frightening pedestrians.

We also removed the center resonator from my sister's old diesel mercedes (for economic reasons). That actually didn't make it much louder than stock, I didn't really notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Sometimes though, you get a drone resonance between 2k - 3k rpms.
Yes yes yes. Around 3k rpm my car drones rather loudly. With the glasspack on it was unbearable.

Give it a shot. Can't hurt anything that I know of.