• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cold Air for 850 GLT?

Ferris Bueller

Let's have a drink!
I'm looking to make a Cold air kit for my N/A 850. I want to be in the 15s by this weekend, and I just want some advice on what to do? Is pulling out the entire airbox, and fitting the Mass air meter into the new intake tubing a good ideal, or setup for disaster? I was thinking just a straight (ish) tube from the intake manifold to the grill of the car, a K&N conical filter on the end, and the airflow meter somewhere in between... Good idea? I've seen several aftermarket CAIs, but none seem to have a spot for the airflow meter. are those meant to just hook straight up to the airbox?

Help! I need a 15.9!!!

Here are 2 pictures of the cold air intake I made for my T5R. The upper is of the hose routing and the lower is the air dam.

Here is another pic of the engine compartment. Notice anything different?

CJ

Anthony Randall,

You should take a close look at this. This mod is like 20 hp for about $ 200.00!

CJ

eh.... I don't see gaining 20 h.p, but I also don't see spending $200.... CAIs are more like a 2-4 h.p increase to the wheels, if they even pick up anything at all.

I called Mount Hood Motorsports in Oregon (new company, specializing in Volvos), and they gave me directions on making one out of exhaust piping, including mounting the mass air meter. They even offered to help me make one if I want to stop by some time. When they get up and going, I'd highly recomend them......for now, they're still in the R&D stage....

I also put a for sale sign in my car, cause I might just buy a T5r..too hard to make power on the car I have now....

It's not the cold air intake that will give you the 20hp. Take a look at some of the under the hood pics of Anthony's car and then look at mine. The cold air intake probably does improve performance, but not where you might think. The main gain is getting full flow of air through the intercooler which is restricted by the stock air intake and the horns. And it get a bit colder air from being closer to the ground, however ambient temperature from 8" off the ground or 28" off the ground I doubt differs much. The cold air intake I put on mine probably only cost me $ 40.00 and you cannot tell it isn't stock. The trick part of my installation is in the mounting to the spoiler. If you get a T5R I can make you the part that the hose mounts to for about $ 25.00. Since all of the spoilers differ, If you want to put it on another car I would need a pattern of the hole in the spoiler to make one to fit.

CJ

I just realized you don't have a turbo. The 20 hp mod is for a turbo motor only.

Sorry

CJ

Sorry, I just read this now, it's the reversed intercooler flowing pipes from a 94 850 T5 designed intake.

It has like half the tubing and less than half the bends

Here's a pic of my engine bay so you can see what I'm talking about.

BTW: where do you live 300+?

20engine_bay.jpg

Usually on 95 and up the air comes into the airbox, goes down to the turbo, then heads up over the engine, takes a curve and heads to the bottom of the intercooler, then goes throught the intercooler to the top where it then goes into the throttle body.

On 300+'s The air comes into the airbox and then down in to the turbo (like normal) but then his just makes a beeline to the top of the intercooler and flows downward through the intercooler then up to the throttle body.

The second way as half the tubes with which air can pick up heat and less than half as many turns so air can move more quickly. Downside (Or so Volvo says) is that in really cold climates the car will have throttle plate icing problems, but I don't see how it would make a difference the other way, except for heating it up more as it weaves it's way around the engine. And on the 94 850turbo it came the second way standard, but they changed it to the inneficient way in 95.

Anthony,

I am in the SF Bay Area.

You are right on all points about the routing. Volvos' reasoning is that the air will be warmer thus eliminating the icing problem. Can you imagine being in a cold climate, just leaving the bar...no, no, no church with ice on the road. Shortly after you pull out of the driveway the throttle sticks wide open? MMMM a whole new meaning to the word excitement.

It does make a noticable improvement. I have also talked to Scott Hart about this and he confirms the increased performance. He has also talked to Volvo directly about it and they confirmed it as well. As for 20 hp that's what Eastern Aerospace claims, probably pretty close. About 18" shorter a more direct routing and from the top of the intercooler to the bottom instead of bottom to top. The former being the more efficient direction of flow than the latter.

Cheers,

CJ

By the way the engine compartment was filthy in those pics. Not Standard operating procedure.

CJ

300+ said:
By the way the engine compartment was filthy in those pics. Not Standard operating procedure.

CJ

In your's or mine, I actually though that mine was fairly clean. Although it's about time to clean it again...

okay, my mistake. i was thinking CAI, as in *ricer chrome pipe with K&N on the end, no turbo, claiming 20 h.p, giving maybe 4*....not making the airflow to and from the turbo more efficient, and easier.....my mistake all the way...see, if I put a CAI in my N/A car, I probably wouldn't feel it......although, I ran a 16.7 at the track, pulled my airfilter for one run, and ran a 16.35 immediately afterwards, not changing the launch or driving style, and pulling a 2.48 60'....

he he....mebbe pulling my filter just convinced me my car had more power, and got me to drive it harder... :) or maybe it was just that dirty.... it was pretty damn filthy!

Back